BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-02-2017, 06:52 PM   #1
buckeyewalt
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 50i

Weird Vibration

All in all my 2014 50i has been performing very well, however, I noticed about a year ago when I was cruising about 40-55 and I was off throttle, the engine would start to shake until I added a little more throttle. Thinking it was me doing it, never paid attention until this weekend when it really began to shake very hard until I added a little more throttle or took my foot off the gas. Before I take it in, I would like a few opinions so I don't act like a total idiot when going to the dealers.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2017, 08:14 PM   #2
boyce89976
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 5.0 M Sport

Believe it or not, this is a tire balance/run out issue. It's exaggerated by the torque converter, but if you get a good balance, and match the tires to the rims it should go away.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2017, 10:47 PM   #3
turboawd
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyce89976 View Post
Believe it or not, this is a tire balance/run out issue. It's exaggerated by the torque converter, but if you get a good balance, and match the tires to the rims it should go away.
Don't listen to this guy. I don't see how a torque converter has anything to do with wheel balance.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2017, 12:37 PM   #4
stewy604
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 xDrive 35d M Sport

Does it only shake when you're off the throttle, or all the time? From your OP, it sounds like its under coasting only? How do you know its the engine that is shaking? These vibrations are typically a tire/wheel/balancing issue. I would start there and ensure you've got properly balanced wheels (also check for bends). And then work your way "up" through the powertrain. These wide wheels can often be difficult to balance.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2017, 04:20 PM   #5
boyce89976
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboawd View Post
Don't listen to this guy. I don't see how a torque converter has anything to do with wheel balance.
Well, if you comprehended my post, you might understand. They are two different issues, that, when combined, create the vibration the OP is feeling under coasting or gently applying throttle after coasting. As you apply throttle, the torque converter flexes, and the drive train vibrates. Under normal circumstances, you may never feel it. However, if you also have a tire out of round (run out) it can exaggerate the vibration. I've had two different vehicles that have exhibited the issue the OP is describing, and the combination of run out, and torque converter vibration was the culprit. In one vehicle, the TC vibration under light throttle was bad enough that even a perfect set of tires wouldn't make it go completely away. On my current '14 X5 a good balance and matching makes it imperceptible.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2017, 10:52 PM   #6
alphaod
Mmmmm…
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15

Garage List
Or broken driveshaft. Had two of those break on another car. Would shake when slowing down.
      04-03-2017, 10:58 PM   #7
buckeyewalt
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewy604 View Post
Does it only shake when you're off the throttle, or all the time? From your OP, it sounds like its under coasting only? How do you know its the engine that is shaking? These vibrations are typically a tire/wheel/balancing issue. I would start there and ensure you've got properly balanced wheels (also check for bends). And then work your way "up" through the powertrain. These wide wheels can often be difficult to balance.
I have no issue running freeway speeds or any other speed as long as I'm on throttle or off throttle, it's when I'm in part throttle is when it happens. It really doesn't have to be at speed just a part throttle will do it. The odd thing is that when I add a little more throttle, it stops shaking until I go part throttle again. It almost feels like the transmission is hunting for a gear. When I say it shakes it's not a vibration, it actually shakes the whole vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2017, 11:03 PM   #8
buckeyewalt
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Well, if you comprehended my post, you might understand. They are two different issues, that, when combined, create the vibration the OP is feeling under coasting or gently applying throttle after coasting. As you apply throttle, the torque converter flexes, and the drive train vibrates. Under normal circumstances, you may never feel it. However, if you also have a tire out of round (run out) it can exaggerate the vibration. I've had two different vehicles that have exhibited the issue the OP is describing, and the combination of run out, and torque converter vibration was the culprit. In one vehicle, the TC vibration under light throttle was bad enough that even a perfect set of tires wouldn't make it go completely away. On my current '14 X5 a good balance and matching makes it imperceptible.
I've had this with two different sets of tire different makes. Pirelli and Continental DWS. Your description is spot on exactly what's happening. Car is still in warranty but how do I get the dealer to correct this.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2017, 11:28 PM   #9
turboawd
Banned
Rep

Quote:
torque converter and tires are totally seperate. i just dont understand how you say one affects the other.
torque convertors don't flex, unless you have a drag car, and they dont typically vibrate. they may shudder if clutches inside slip. or they may vibrate if out of balance, but then it would always vibrate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyewalt View Post
I have no issue running freeway speeds or any other speed as long as I'm on throttle or off throttle, it's when I'm in part throttle is when it happens. It really doesn't have to be at speed just a part throttle will do it. The odd thing is that when I add a little more throttle, it stops shaking until I go part throttle again. It almost feels like the transmission is hunting for a gear. When I say it shakes it's not a vibration, it actually shakes the whole vehicle.
sounds like a driveline issue. driveshaft perhaps.
check your front propshaft. i noticed mine has some excess play where it connects to transfer case. grab the shaft and see how much it moves side to side. had mine replaced with a new one and it still has play. bad design in my opinion. and bmw just recalled the front propshafts on the e70 x5, but guess what? the f15 uses the same propshaft, same part number. yet the f15 is not recalled.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2017, 05:01 PM   #10
boyce89976
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
torque converter and tires are totally seperate. i just dont understand how you say one affects the other.
torque convertors don't flex, unless you have a drag car, and they dont typically vibrate. they may shudder if clutches inside slip. or they may vibrate if out of balance, but then it would always vibrate.

sounds like a driveline issue. driveshaft perhaps.
check your front propshaft. i noticed mine has some excess play where it connects to transfer case. grab the shaft and see how much it moves side to side. had mine replaced with a new one and it still has play. bad design in my opinion. and bmw just recalled the front propshafts on the e70 x5, but guess what? the f15 uses the same propshaft, same part number. yet the f15 is not recalled.
I said "flex" but the better term is "slips" so you're right there. But it is definitely in combination with a tire being out of balance or out of runout spec. When my runout is less than .011 I don't feel the vibration. Above that, in combination with the torque converter being right on that edge of engaging/disengaging, it does exactly what the OP is describing. I'm dealing with it now as well, as one of my rears' runout is measuring .019 AFTER being matched to the rim (.026 prior to matching).
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2017, 10:40 PM   #11
buckeyewalt
Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for all of your help guys, I'll be taking it in sometime in late April.
Hopefully this won't be one of those "all cars do it", or" that's normal" type of thing.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2017, 08:27 AM   #12
BimmerGuyFL78
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW G30 540i

I had this issue on my brand new 2017 X5 with 20" OEM rims and Runflats. It took about 3 times for the dealership to balance out my tires.

My vibration was more around 75mph plus. The last balance I still felt a distant vibration but nothing bad. Now that the car has 3,000 miles it got smoother and smoother over time.

My X5 now is super smooth.

I had a similar issue when I had my new 2013 535i M-Sport with the 19" performance Runflats. As I put more miles on the car after they rebalanced the tires around 1k miles, the car kept getting smoother and smoother. By 3k miles there were no vibrations present.

I believe the F10/15 platform has to be broken in for a few thousand miles for everything to run 100% smooth.
      04-05-2017, 09:33 AM   #13
buckeyewalt
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine535Msport View Post
I had this issue on my brand new 2017 X5 with 20" OEM rims and Runflats. It took about 3 times for the dealership to balance out my tires.

My vibration was more around 75mph plus. The last balance I still felt a distant vibration but nothing bad. Now that the car has 3,000 miles it got smoother and smoother over time.

My X5 now is super smooth.

I had a similar issue when I had my new 2013 535i M-Sport with the 19" performance Runflats. As I put more miles on the car after they rebalanced the tires around 1k miles, the car kept getting smoother and smoother. By 3k miles there were no vibrations present.

I believe the F10/15 platform has to be broken in for a few thousand miles for everything to run 100% smooth.
I have no vibration at all at any speed, high or low speed, I wish I did then I would look at the tires or wheels. This is a shake where the whole vehicle shudders at part throttle. Never had issues with drive shaft or torque converters so I don't know what they would feel like, but part throttle feels like a severe shudder not a vibration. The steering wheel is dead center no shimmy's in the wheel no vibration just a chassis shudder.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2017, 11:50 PM   #14
Enrico 35d
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 x5 35d

Sounds like a drivetrain issue. May be hard to locate though. Wonder if a rolling dyno would help ?
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2017, 09:33 AM   #15
buckeyewalt
Lieutenant
Rep

I'm thinking it's more of a driveline issue also. Just remembered also, what's even more funny is that when the cruise control is activated at a constant speed, it's won't do it, but take the cruise off and have me modulate the throttle to the speed when I need to be part throttle it will shudder. I'm looking at either driveline, converter or somewhere around there.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2017, 09:21 PM   #16
Enrico 35d
Private
Canada
Rep

Throttle position sensor ? Don't know if it applies but my e39 M5 was problematic even though no codes
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2017, 09:45 AM   #17
boyce89976
Private First Class
Rep

Torque Converter, guys. Acura had the exact same issue a few years ago on their MDX... it's well documented. If you have a tire out of round or out of balance it exaggerates the issue.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2017, 06:24 PM   #18
buckeyewalt
Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks guys for all of your suggestions. I have an appointment on 4-24. Will revive this post when I get me vehicle back and find out what the problem is.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2017, 10:47 PM   #19
turboawd
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Torque Converter, guys. Acura had the exact same issue a few years ago on their MDX... it's well documented. If you have a tire out of round or out of balance it exaggerates the issue.
the mdx is also front wheel drive. totally different drivetrain layout.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2017, 04:35 PM   #20
Enrico 35d
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I don't think so unless it's an option. All MDX can be had with SH AWD. Here in Canada, it's pretty much the only way that car is sold. Also almost all BMW sold here are x drive.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2017, 06:24 PM   #21
boyce89976
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Wrong. MDX is all wheel drive all the time.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2017, 07:10 PM   #22
turboawd
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Wrong. MDX is all wheel drive all the time.
It's awd but the drivetrain is a front wheel drive layout. Engine is mounted sideways.
All bmws are rear wheel drive style layout of the drivetrain.
Appreciate 0