BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

04-03-2017, 04:27 AM   #1
martin mustang
Major
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 640d,X5 45e, 911c4s, 635csi

Climate comfort windscreen 2017 X5

Our new X5 was delivered this last weekend, we ordered the " Climate comfort windscreen", from description below this is normally delivered with green stripe on the upper edge of the windscreen, this is not the case with ours! I am wondering do any of the new owner have the same option? is the stripe missing?
When I check of options list with the chassis number it is listed.

Green stripe climate comfort windscreen.
Green stripe climate comfort windscreen helps keep the cabin at a comfortable temperature by reducing the effects of direct and indirect sunlight.

The climate comfort windscreen uses a layer of special reflective material to reflect certain wavelengths of sunlight: infrared radiation, which is responsible for increasing temperature, is not allowed to enter the cabin, while a high level of natural light is able to pass through it.
This reflective technology delivers a heat saving in the cabin of 10 ° C even in direct sunlight. Your air conditioning system can work more efficiently, and your enjoy a light-filled cabin with a comfortable atmosphere.
The green stripe situated at the upper edge of the windscreen prevents the sun from shining directly onto the driver's face, but as it does not impair your field of vision, you still have a perfect view of the traffic ahead.

For the X5 it is option " Climate comfort windscreen" that deliver the green shade band at 300 euros, please add this to the order.

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/insights/t...indscreen.html
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2017, 06:03 AM   #2
GeeRam
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40d SE

I had the optional top tint windscreen (not called climate comfort) on my 135i, and wanted it on my X5, and assumed it would be the climate comfort option, but when I checked with the dealer they told me the climate comfort option doesn't come with a top tint, so I never specced it....although was really surprised I could get it as an option on my 135i and its not an option on a X5!!!
Looks like they were right though...(I would have been even more hacked off with the car than I am if I'd found out the climate comfort did have a top tint!!)

I really miss the top tint, especially as I have to wear varifocal glasses for driving now, and can't wear sunglasses, and already in the past week I'm really hacked off without that useful top tint screen.
      04-03-2017, 08:22 AM   #3
martin mustang
Major
Ireland
Rep

Thanks GeeRam, looks like you dealing with a good dealer unlike my one utterly useless, we wanted the same as we always ordered with our cars, i.e. the grey/green shaded top at around 120Euros, I have it with my current F10 5 series and my wife old X3, just like you I was surprised to find out the option on its own not available for the X5 separately, we find out when ordering the car in December it is packaged with the Climate comfort screen at 300 Euros (as per link I attached earlier), got the car this Friday and once home noticed the shaded top missing me thinking the option was left out, but doing a rebuild the picture does not show the shaded top any more, looks like the package changed again. BMW the suckers constantly screwing around, must admit for 81k car options are a complete joke when down to choices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeRam View Post
I had the optional top tint windscreen (not called climate comfort) on my 135i, and wanted it on my X5, and assumed it would be the climate comfort option, but when I checked with the dealer they told me the climate comfort option doesn't come with a top tint, so I never specced it....although was really surprised I could get it as an option on my 135i and its not an option on a X5!!!
Looks like they were right though...(I would have been even more hacked off with the car than I am if I'd found out the climate comfort did have a top tint!!)

I really miss the top tint, especially as I have to wear varifocal glasses for driving now, and can't wear sunglasses, and already in the past week I'm really hacked off without that useful top tint screen.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2017, 08:40 AM   #4
GeeRam
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

I was really nervous about not speccing it, just in case they were wrong, as there was a part of me that just couldn't accept you can get the option on just about everything else except the X5..!! (you can on a X3!)

I'm really not gelling with the X5 I'm afraid at the moment ......and I'm usually quite at home within a week after a car change......so, I may have to contemplate taking a massive hit on this and change again within a couple of years

The engine is brilliant, as are the active anti-roll bars.......but, I'm struggling to find a positive in anything else

I'm just hoping I'll change my mind about it in time.
      04-03-2017, 01:47 PM   #5
1230vani
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 40i LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin mustang View Post
Our new X5 was delivered this last weekend, we ordered the " Climate comfort windscreen", from description below this is normally delivered with green stripe on the upper edge of the windscreen, this is not the case with ours! I am wondering do any of the new owner have the same option? is the stripe missing?
When I check of options list with the chassis number it is listed.

Green stripe climate comfort windscreen.
Green stripe climate comfort windscreen helps keep the cabin at a comfortable temperature by reducing the effects of direct and indirect sunlight.

The climate comfort windscreen uses a layer of special reflective material to reflect certain wavelengths of sunlight: infrared radiation, which is responsible for increasing temperature, is not allowed to enter the cabin, while a high level of natural light is able to pass through it.
This reflective technology delivers a heat saving in the cabin of 10 ° C even in direct sunlight. Your air conditioning system can work more efficiently, and your enjoy a light-filled cabin with a comfortable atmosphere.
The green stripe situated at the upper edge of the windscreen prevents the sun from shining directly onto the driver's face, but as it does not impair your field of vision, you still have a perfect view of the traffic ahead.

For the X5 it is option " Climate comfort windscreen" that deliver the green shade band at 300 euros, please add this to the order.

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/insights/t...indscreen.html
I have it. There is no green stripe. How i found out there is something different about it is when my paytool (for highways in europe) did not work through the windshield, have to put my side window down and reach out with the gadget as the signal does not go through the windshield. Car's interior gets less warm (had a 2014 before without the option now have it in my 2017). My friend also has option he confirmed no green stripe. Interesting that the same option on the X3 killed HUD option, but they improved it later on so it was possible.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2017, 02:53 PM   #6
theove
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5 4.0E

I have it. No green stripe. The glass looks a bit brown. You can see the difference with a normal window next to the inner mirror. Left and right from it there is good visible area to put your paytool.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2017, 03:57 PM   #7
martin mustang
Major
Ireland
Rep

Moving from a 135i was always going to be a difficult move for you driving wise, you will eventually get use to it, maybe instead of taking a hit on selling this one earlier, go for 2nd hand old coupe BM e46, or e90 with straight six and enjoy it from time to time.
For our X5 we decided to make the jump for the e40 and must admit quite impressed with the power delivery, for a car of this size.

Quote:
I was really nervous about not speccing it, just in case they were wrong, as there was a part of me that just couldn't accept you can get the option on just about everything else except the X5..!! (you can on a X3!)

I'm really not gelling with the X5 I'm afraid at the moment ......and I'm usually quite at home within a week after a car change......so, I may have to contemplate taking a massive hit on this and change again within a couple of years

The engine is brilliant, as are the active anti-roll bars.......but, I'm struggling to find a positive in anything else

I'm just hoping I'll change my mind about it in time.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2017, 04:03 PM   #8
martin mustang
Major
Ireland
Rep

Can you folks see the strip from outside? to me I see no difference and can certainly see the black surrounding the interior mirror.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theove View Post
I have it. No green stripe. The glass looks a bit brown. You can see the difference with a normal window next to the inner mirror. Left and right from it there is good visible area to put your paytool.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1230vani View Post
I have it. There is no green stripe. How i found out there is something different about it is when my paytool (for highways in europe) did not work through the windshield, have to put my side window down and reach out with the gadget as the signal does not go through the windshield. Car's interior gets less warm (had a 2014 before without the option now have it in my 2017). My friend also has option he confirmed no green stripe. Interesting that the same option on the X3 killed HUD option, but they improved it later on so it was possible.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2017, 11:46 PM   #9
alphaod
Mmmmm…
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15

Garage List
You could just tint it yourself.

I had my windshield tinted. Reduces a lot of heat when parked in the sun.
      04-04-2017, 02:41 AM   #10
GeeRam
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaod View Post

Strictly against the rules over here.
      04-04-2017, 02:48 AM   #11
alphaod
Mmmmm…
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Strictly against the rules over here.
Of course, tinting the windshield is very much illegal here too

Just I'd rather I didn't get into hot leather seats after parking my car in the sun all day. Anyways I went with something that was unnoticeable unless you looked very closely and the thread is about the top shade which I think is legal in many places.
      04-04-2017, 02:53 AM   #12
GeeRam
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Moving from a 135i was always going to be a difficult move for you driving wise, you will eventually get use to it, maybe instead of taking a hit on selling this one earlier, go for 2nd hand old coupe BM e46, or e90 with straight six and enjoy it from time to time.
Its OK driving it, its all the stupid tech that I don't need that I can't switch off permanently, and the fact that the HDD doesn't simply 'play the stuff you upload in a loop' like the old system used to that is pissing me off, oh and the steering wheel, and the comfort seats aren't that comfortable......and having to press the door unlock button everytime on getting out to get access to the rear door.....

I have no interest in buying an old BMW, I need a new/nearly new car for daily driving/work use, that also now has to have the ability to be a tow car if needed.
      04-04-2017, 03:01 AM   #13
GeeRam
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Of course, tinting the windshield is very much illegal here too
Yeah, but easier to get away with over your side of the pond with less recriminations than with our greater enforcement regs.

Its really not something you'd risk doing over here.
      04-04-2017, 05:15 AM   #14
martin mustang
Major
Ireland
Rep

It will being nice to know the strip was not included, since we only opted for this option for the strip, useful with the winter sun and handy for mounting a dash camera behind it, a nice neat way for hiding the camera.

Quote:

Appreciate 0
      04-04-2017, 07:34 AM   #15
1230vani
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 40i LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by theove View Post
Thanks it is not about visibility, it emits a signal and it does not work through the windshield any longer.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2017, 08:11 AM   #16
sak83
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 M50D on order

Here's a picture of mine with the climate comfort screen, the photo has been taken with a polarized filter so exaggerates the blue tint. There is no top tint.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Flying Ace4984.50
      04-05-2017, 03:23 PM   #17
alphaod
Mmmmm…
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yeah, but easier to get away with over your side of the pond with less recriminations than with our greater enforcement regs.

Its really not something you'd risk doing over here.
Well as part of our new annual emission inspections, they've got this fancy new tool is check for tint… And my dad got stopped the other day and got a nice ticket for his "illegal" tints, so not that lax on enforcement apparently.
      06-20-2017, 02:47 AM   #18
renio
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 5 series / X5 ordered

It's my first hot summer with the new X5 and I'm not sure if the Climare Comfort Screen option which I ordered is in fact installed as it still gets quite hot in the car. The dashboard gets hot and I dont sense a big difference on level of warmth through the glass into the car.
Also I don't really notice a difference in shading or color of the glass.. it doesn't look any more brown or blue or whatever shade then on other X5s... so how specifically can I notice on any detail if it really got installed? If I check via the portal it says so but I'm in doubt if they really installed it on the car

Last edited by renio; 06-20-2017 at 03:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2017, 03:42 AM   #19
martin mustang
Major
Ireland
Rep

Get your Dealer to print the options in your car using the your chassis number, couple of sites online exist also you can use and see if the option is listed, I send you the link later on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by renio View Post
It's my first hot summer with the new X5 and I'm not sure if the Climare Comfort Screen option which I ordered is in fact installed as it still gets quite hot in the car. The dashboard gets hot and I dont sense a big difference on level of warmth through the glass into the car.
Also I don't really notice a difference in shading or color of the glass.. it doesn't look any more brown or blue or whatever shade then on other X5s... so how specifically can I notice on any detail if it really got installed? If I check via the portal it says so but I'm in doubt if they really installed it on the car
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2017, 04:11 AM   #20
renio
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 5 series / X5 ordered

Quote:
Get your Dealer to print the options in your car using the your chassis number, couple of sites online exist also you can use and see if the option is listed, I send you the link later on.
thanks for that tip! I just googled a bit and found such a site... according to the info based on the chassis number it has the option 'S358 Climate comfort windscreen' listed.. but I'm not confident it was actually installed in the factory.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2017, 03:38 AM   #21
martin mustang
Major
Ireland
Rep

Your only option is to compare it with the another X5 with the same option and see if any differences, I went for the option to get the top shaded band on our screen, an option that was always available on its own with our F10 and old X3 as well as past BM's,
but to our shock not only we paid double for what it was described as a package (climate comfort and shaded band), when the car was delivered we find the shaded area missing. I checked the chassis verse the option, and it is showing. I am now thinking along the same as you, is the full package missing from our car I wonder.
No hope of getting this checked up by our dealer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by renio View Post
thanks for that tip! I just googled a bit and found such a site... according to the info based on the chassis number it has the option 'S358 Climate comfort windscreen' listed.. but I'm not confident it was actually installed in the factory.

Last edited by martin mustang; 06-21-2017 at 04:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2017, 02:51 PM   #22
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

best not to drive or park your car under the sun or in sunny conditions.