BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

04-11-2017, 05:59 AM   #1
taxjoc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 50i & 2015 Z4 35i

Replacing tires - Dealer or local shop?

I took delivery of my new 2016 X5 50i on November 18, 2015. By later this week my X5 will arrive at the 30,000 miles mark. I still have the original Dunlop SP Sport Maxx GT tires on it. The wear indicators are getting close. I estimate these tires have about another 1,000 miles left in them and then it will be time to replace them. My dealer quoted me a price of $1,907 for a new set of the original tires plus 7% sales tax and "shop supplies" (whatever that is). My guess is the total cost will be about $2,050. This does not include an alignment which the dealer quoted at $139.95.

I have this thing about originality, so I want to stick with the same Dunlop tires although I am sure many of you have strong feelings that there are other tires that are better than the Dunlops.

I found that I can purchase these same Dunlop tires on-line and have them shipped to a local tire shop. The local tire shop outlined the costs to mount and balance the tires and other fees. The total cost for the tires, installation, tax, and other costs works out to a total of $1,600.48 (this price does not include the cost of an alignment).

So, if I use the local shop, I will save about $450. Here is the problem. I am concerned the local tire shop technician may not be familiar with the low tire pressure warning devices or how to re-set them after the tires are replaced. About four years ago a local tire shop damaged those devices when changing my tires on my prior non-BMW vehicle. It was a chore to persuade the tire shop the damage was their fault and then to order the new part from the dealer and have the new part installed.

I would like any comments you have on whether you would have your local BMW dealer install new tires, pay $450 more, and have peace of mind that the job will likely be performed correctly or would you save the $450 and order the tires on-line and have a local tire shop install the tires (with the risk that the tire pressure warning system may be damaged or not reset properly)?

Incidentally, would you also have the tires aligned? I just don't understand why you would need an alignment after new tires installed if the prior tires were not wearing unevenly.

Thanks for your comments.
Appreciate 1
      04-11-2017, 06:48 AM   #2
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
good local tire shop should be able to swap the tires, check their review before going.

do you have Mavis tire shop?
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2017, 07:11 AM   #3
WJMSprtXDrive
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 xDrive50i M-Sport

Garage List
I can see you are enjoying your xDrive50i. I understand why!

I'm guessing from your tire setup that you have the M-Sport package with the 20" wheels. Below is your OEM setup and a new tire that just became available. If you never see snow you should have no issues with summer tires.

According to TireRack
SP SPORT MAXX GT DSST
Max Performance Summer
Front: 275/40R20 106W XL - $456.99 Sale $410.00
Rear: 315/35R20 110W XL - $479.99 Sale $408.99
Star RSC BMW, Run Flat
Sidewall Style: Blackwall
UTQG: 240 AA A

Brand New NON-RUNFLAT option
Continental EXTREMECONTACT SPORT
Max Performance Summer
Front: 275/40ZR20 106Y XL - $253.62
Rear: 315/35ZR20 110Y XL - $344.88
Sidewall Style: Blackwall
UTQG: 340 AA A

Correct, the dealer will usually always charge you more to replace tires. I buy from TireRack(Free Road Hazard) and have a trusted shop mount and balance my tires. Your best option would be to find a local shop whose main business is to sell top quality high-end wheels/rims including mounting and balancing.

On my previous 2006 530xiT I had to deal with extra TPMS hardware and pricing. Since then 2008 X5, 2011 335xi and 2014 X5 it's been a non issue.

You are right you should not need alignment without uneven wear. In my case it was not needed.

I got the Continental DWS06(non runflats) on both of my vehicles since I deal with snow. I have only had two issues with a flat in the last 4 1/2 years where a RunFlat would have possibly(1 example- impact bubble popped after parked at church) helped.

So maybe you don't need RunFlats...

Take your time read some TireRack reviews and make the best choice for your situation.
2011 E90 335i xDrive 6AT Performance Edition Package, M-Sport, TTFS Tune, VRSF 3.5" Catted DP, Active Autowerke CP, Turner Motorsport Strut Tower Brace, Hawk HP+, Bilstein B6, Alpina B3 TCU Flash, K&N ----
2014 F15 X5 xDrive50i M-Sport, RSE, 3rd Row
Appreciate 1
      04-11-2017, 07:43 AM   #4
Kzang
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i Msport SG

Surprised you got 30k miles off those summers.
I'd get the same tire if you were happy with its performance. Also most reputable tire shop has handled tire pressure monitoring system 100 times or so on a weekly basis. Additionally getting tires from dealers = bend over and get fooked....
      04-11-2017, 08:03 AM   #5
Rotzy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F15, 2015 F83

Garage List
Most dealers will match tire rack's price. Then it's just a matter of how much they charge to mount and balance, which is $25/tire at my dealer. I've had more balance problems at local shops than at the dealer (who uses a road force machine) so I usually stick with them.

Any decent tire shop should be accustomed to tire pressure sensors by now. They are very common these days and I doubt they will damage one.

Resetting your TPMS afterwords can be done by you in about 15 seconds through idrive.
Chadmatic660.50
      04-11-2017, 08:31 AM   #6
Chadmatic
Registered Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 35i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyalpine90 View Post
good local tire shop should be able to swap the tires, check their review before going.

do you have Mavis tire shop?
Because if you do have a Mavis tire shop [nearby] and if you are particular about your car then I would strongly recommend never taking your car to them.

Their main objective is banging out tires, quite literally. I have had several experiences with them each at various locations and have concluded that they are hacks.

If it isn't damage to the rims (plural), then it is wheel vibration or greasy hand prints all over the exterior and interior! Hey, where did that nick on my rear quarter panel come from? Shit! I knew I shouldn't have come here!

Imagine your horror when they bring a fluid sample back to you in the waiting room to discuss your brake or transmission fluid quality and recommend that they perform a flush and replacement. I don't know about you but this isn't the kind of place that I want to have servicing my engine or fluids much less tinkering around with them in the first place.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2017, 08:55 AM   #7
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
I never had an issue with Mavis intalling new tires, I usually stand outside of the working bay and watch them. I purposely leave wheel lock inside the car so the tech has to ask for it.

I do need to rebalance the wheels since i feel slight vibration on the steering wheel once i go above 70mph. Now you have me thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadmatic View Post
Because if you do have a Mavis tire shop [nearby] and if you are particular about your car then I would strongly recommend never taking your car to them.

Their main objective is banging out tires, quite literally. I have had several experiences with them each at various locations and have concluded that they are hacks.

If it isn't damage to the rims (plural), then it is wheel vibration or greasy hand prints all over the exterior and interior! Hey, where did that nick on my rear quarter panel come from? Shit! I knew I shouldn't have come here!

Imagine your horror when they bring a fluid sample back to you in the waiting room to discuss your brake or transmission fluid quality and recommend that they perform a flush and replacement. I don't know about you but this isn't the kind of place that I want to have servicing my engine or fluids much less tinkering around with them in the first place.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2017, 09:05 AM   #8
Chadmatic
Registered Member
United_States
Rep

Pirelli has an amazing modern tire service facility that is open to the public. They have locations in the UK and have also recently opened a P Zero World in Los Angeles, CA.

Skip to 3:00 if you want to cut straight to the Pirelli service facility.
Appreciate 1
nyalpine907384.50
      04-11-2017, 09:19 AM   #9
double_j
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 JB/B E90 M3

There's nothing special about installing tires. Just look for a reputable shop (via recommendations or internet reviews) and call ahead to make sure that they can handle your tire sizes. TPMS is so common nowadays that pretty much every shop will know how to reset them properly.

Also, the assumption that BMW dealers will inherently provide higher quality work or stand behind their results any more than an independent shop is a flawed one. The only reason to really use dealer service centers is for warranty work or work that requires truly specialized knowledge of the car or it's systems.
Appreciate 2
Kzang3222.00
nyalpine907384.50
      04-11-2017, 09:32 AM   #10
Chadmatic
Registered Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by double_j View Post
There's nothing special about installing tires. Just look for a reputable shop (via recommendations or internet reviews) and call ahead to make sure that they can handle your tire sizes. TPMS is so common nowadays that pretty much every shop will know how to reset them properly.

Also, the assumption that BMW dealers will inherently provide higher quality work or stand behind their results any more than an independent shop is a flawed one. The only reason to really use dealer service centers is for warranty work or work that requires truly specialized knowledge of the car or it's systems.
You're right, there's nothing special about installing tires, anybody can do it...

As with everything, you get what you pay for, and often you end up paying more in the long run by skimping up front.

Last edited by Chadmatic; 06-25-2017 at 09:31 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2017, 10:15 AM   #11
IvanLZ
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by double_j View Post

There are BMW indie shops that will provide the same quality results and charge you less. They all used to work for BMW at some point.
Appreciate 1
Chadmatic660.50
      04-11-2017, 12:27 PM   #12
stewy604
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 xDrive 35d M Sport

First off, I'm impressed with the life you got on the Dunlops, wow! I only got 25,xxx kms on my P-Zeros. I would ditch the RFTs and save some dollars. I, like many others, opted for the Conti DWS06's (performance all season) and couldn't be happier. They're priced well, and offer great performance in both wet and dry conditions. I had the chance this past winter to test them out in snowy conditions, they performed really well. As for dealer vs. local shop, I've always found that local (indy) shops can usually at least match (often beat) dealer wholesale prices. Where they can often win is the install costs. Just use a recommended shop with a good reputation. I've been on the losing end of damaged wheels in the past...not a fun experience. There is only one shop in town that I let touch my wheels now.
Appreciate 2
      04-11-2017, 01:38 PM   #13
wankelman24
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X5 35i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxjoc View Post
I took delivery of my new 2016 X5 50i on November 18, 2015. By later this week my X5 will arrive at the 30,000 miles mark. I still have the original Dunlop SP Sport Maxx GT tires on it. The wear indicators are getting close. I estimate these tires have about another 1,000 miles left in them and then it will be time to replace them. My dealer quoted me a price of $1,907 for a new set of the original tires plus 7% sales tax and "shop supplies" (whatever that is). My guess is the total cost will be about $2,050. This does not include an alignment which the dealer quoted at $139.95.

I have this thing about originality, so I want to stick with the same Dunlop tires although I am sure many of you have strong feelings that there are other tires that are better than the Dunlops.

I found that I can purchase these same Dunlop tires on-line and have them shipped to a local tire shop. The local tire shop outlined the costs to mount and balance the tires and other fees. The total cost for the tires, installation, tax, and other costs works out to a total of $1,600.48 (this price does not include the cost of an alignment).

So, if I use the local shop, I will save about $450. Here is the problem. I am concerned the local tire shop technician may not be familiar with the low tire pressure warning devices or how to re-set them after the tires are replaced. About four years ago a local tire shop damaged those devices when changing my tires on my prior non-BMW vehicle. It was a chore to persuade the tire shop the damage was their fault and then to order the new part from the dealer and have the new part installed.

I would like any comments you have on whether you would have your local BMW dealer install new tires, pay $450 more, and have peace of mind that the job will likely be performed correctly or would you save the $450 and order the tires on-line and have a local tire shop install the tires (with the risk that the tire pressure warning system may be damaged or not reset properly)?

Incidentally, would you also have the tires aligned? I just don't understand why you would need an alignment after new tires installed if the prior tires were not wearing unevenly.

Thanks for your comments.
I also am about to replace my Dunlops (OEM) for the first time. I have been able to get 24k miles out of them but boy do they SING!!! I just can't take it anymore. My SA has recommended I go to the Bridgestone Dueler h/p sport RFTs. I think the quote was around $1500. As much as I loved the driving performance of my Dunlops, I wouldn't use them again. I know that the RFT's have some noise issues, but mine are awful! Just my 2 cents... Good Luck! PS- My Dunlops RFTs on my 535i are so quiet. Go figure... Must be a SAV thang!! ;-)

Chris Bangle (former head of design, BMW)

Last edited by wankelman24; 04-11-2017 at 01:48 PM.. Reason: forgot something
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2017, 09:52 AM   #14
spike5150
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

I had been buying tires from my dealer as they were competitive but offered free storage of my off-season wheels and tires.

Got an email the other day saying I owed them $200 since Sept 2016 for storing tires. I said WTF no I don't. Said policy changed in March 2017. I said I guess you don't want my tire business anymore? Response was 'when do you want to come get your tires'.

Wonder how long it will be before BMW sales start to slip due to nickel and diming like this as well as reduced included maintenance, etc.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2017, 10:25 AM   #15
puckybadger
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X6 M60i LCI TBII/Tartufo

Print the on line offer, show it to the dealer and ask them to match the price for tires, mounting, and balancing. $140.00 for an alignment is reasonable.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2017, 10:31 AM   #16
Kzang
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i Msport SG

OP, Which tires did you go with on your X5?
I'm at 21K miles on my original Dunlop SP Sport Maxx RFT and I'm considering the P Zero Run Flat this time around. stewy604 How did you like the P Zero Run Flat?

Thanks
      06-24-2017, 11:40 AM   #17
Wardman
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F15 X5d

All day long, go with the non run flats. Get the air and gel kit if you are worried about flats, or add the mini spare for the x5 ($150 I think). I have the Conti DWS on mine and the dealer is storing my RFT for replacement when the lease is up.

https://www.tirerack.com/accessories...170624164039:s
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2017, 07:18 PM   #18
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

My biggest issue is that the Continental don't look very good.
Appreciate 1
Chadmatic660.50
      06-24-2017, 07:29 PM   #19
IvanLZ
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
My biggest issue is that the Continental don't look very good.
My uncle changed his X5 tires for Bridgestone Duelers. They look BIG.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2017, 11:34 PM   #20
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvanLZ View Post
My uncle changed his X5 tires for Bridgestone Duelers. They look BIG.
I had them on my E70. Loved how fat they looked.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2017, 05:06 PM   #21
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

I'm sorry....I know this is a old thread...but if you have to ask this question....then I have some prime Florida swampland real estate to sell you.