BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-24-2021, 10:06 PM   #1
M3orPorsche
Rep
Drives: x5D

floor mat setup

i will say - i am unimpressed with the x5 floor mat situation. i do not like the rubber mats so probably do abuse my regular cloth ones, but the velcro is SHOT- even when they worked well ?

has anyone else had this issue around 60k miles- did you guys go for rubber mats?
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2021, 02:17 AM   #2
crystalworks
Captain
Rep
Drives: Many BMW's

I feel the same about the all-weather mats. Don't use them in any of our cars. I glued speaker box carpet to the bottom of our cloth mats. Works great for grip. But side note, keep having one of the velcro attachments that goes into the OE carpet popping out. Need to sort that, possibly glue it into the carpet?

Through ~15 BMWs never had this much issue with the cloth mats staying in place.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2021, 07:44 AM   #3
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3orPorsche View Post
… i do not like the rubber mats so probably do abuse my regular cloth ones, but the velcro is SHOT- even when they worked well ?

has anyone else had this issue around 60k miles- did you guys go for rubber mats?
I’m at approx 88k but I have not had this issue…but I’m also a rubber all weather mat user. When you say the Velcro is shot…is it the pad on the pack of the carpeted floor mat…or the hook & loop fastener that gets screwed into the floor pan?

If it’s the Velcro pad on the underside of the floor mat…you can try picking up some new peel-n-stick Velcro pads from a fabric store or other vendors that sell Velcro pads to replace the failing Velcro on your carpeted mats. If the issue is the hook & loop pad…those can be replaced…or if the h&L pad is full of debris…cleaning out the debris from the hooks & loops would restore its ability to stick to the Velcro on the back side of the carpeted mats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalworks View Post
… keep having one of the velcro attachments that goes into the OE carpet popping out. Need to sort that, possibly glue it into the carpet?
What is the problem with your hook & loop pad? Is it not turning into the lock built into the floor pan below the carpet? Have you tried pressing down a bit harder then turning it 90° which should lock it into place…or are you just inserting the bayonet down into the carpet and not locking it into the floor pan?

Has the bayonet failed (broken) on the one that keeps slipping out? If not, take your screwdriver and put some downward pressure on it…then turn to lock it in place. If memory serves me correct…I believe the bayonet should be inserted through the carpet with its edges running front to back…then you lock it into place by turning it where the bayonet is running side to side.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 11-25-2021 at 08:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2021, 08:19 AM   #4
CatalinP
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15 2014 3.0xd

I am running OEM carpet mats during summer and OEM rubber mats the rest of the year.
Never had any issue.

With every set of mats you also get the attaching pads.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2021, 10:35 AM   #5
crystalworks
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
I’m at approx 88k but I have not had this issue…but I’m also a rubber all weather mat user. When you say the Velcro is shot…is it the pad on the pack of the carpeted floor mat…or the hook & loop fastener that gets screwed into the floor pan?

If it’s the Velcro pad on the underside of the floor mat…you can try picking up some new peel-n-stick Velcro pads from a fabric store or other vendors that sell Velcro pads to replace the failing Velcro on your carpeted mats. If the issue is the hook & loop pad…those can be replaced…or if the h&L pad is full of debris…cleaning out the debris from the hooks & loops would restore its ability to stick to the Velcro on the back side of the carpeted mats.

What is the problem with your hook & loop pad? Is it not turning into the lock built into the floor pan below the carpet? Have you tried pressing down a bit harder then turning it 45° which should lock it into place…or are you just inserting the bayonet down into the carpet and not locking it into the floor pan?

Has the bayonet failed (broken) on the one that keeps slipping out? If not, take your screwdriver and put some downward pressure on it…then turn to lock it in place. If memory serves me correct…I believe the bayonet should be inserted through the carpet with its edges running front to back…then you lock it into place by turning it where the bayonet is running side to side.
Will try that QS, thank you. Was never aware there were openings in the floor pan to lock those. Currently I have the screw type pads that screw into the carpeting (used on other chassis Bimmers I believe) as I had them "in stock" in the parts cache from other mat purchases.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2021, 08:55 PM   #6
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalworks View Post
Will try that QS, thank you. Was never aware there were openings in the floor pan to lock those. Currently I have the screw type pads that screw into the carpeting (used on other chassis Bimmers I believe) as I had them "in stock" in the parts cache from other mat purchases.
Wow…I didn’t think there were any screw in floor anchors left! It’s been decades since I’ve seen that type. The last time I can remember the screw in fasteners was on my 85 325e. Everything since then has been some type of fastener that was the bayonet design.

But yes, if you have the floor anchors with the bayonet (like pictured above)…look for the slit in the carpet…and push the bayonet down through it and give it a turn.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2021, 09:43 PM   #7
M3orPorsche
Rep

Quote:

What is the problem with your hook & loop pad? Is it not turning into the lock built into the floor pan below the carpet? Have you tried pressing down a bit harder then turning it 90° which should lock it into place…or are you just inserting the bayonet down into the carpet and not locking it into the floor pan?

thank you for the post! very helpful forum here ! the issue is mainly that the strength of the glue that holds the sticky pads degrades and then the mat slides- i will try the link you sent and see if my tailor can sew the material to the floor mat. or just stop being cheap and buy rubber mats or new ones- i really never loved the rubber mats though
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2021, 09:44 PM   #8
M3orPorsche
Rep

lexus has the hooks come right through the mats to hang on to them
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2021, 10:55 PM   #9
RED_Y_
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 3.5d

I got OEM BMW liners the week after I bought the car, never had issues with the velcro pads. I have an extra set that came with the liners, never bothered to open them since the once came with the car still doing great job. Almost 80K.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2021, 02:21 AM   #10
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
i will say - i am unimpressed with the x5 floor mat situation. i do not like the rubber mats so probably do abuse my regular cloth ones, but the velcro is SHOT- even when they worked well ?

I use the M Performance ones. They have the durability of the rubber mats but looks nicer than the regular velour mats.

If you want really high quality ones, go for Lloyd mats. I use theirs on my trunk and it is thick and luxurious and also very durable.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2021, 06:43 AM   #11
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

Those that use the rubber mats and liners don’t usually have the issue that the carpet mat users have after long use. As mentioned above…it appears that the material that the Velcro is adhered to on the back of the carpet/velour mats degrades over time…and the Velcro doesn’t have enough material to stay secured. M3orPorsche mentions having the Velcro pad sewn onto the backside of the carpet…which can be another alternative to trying to make it stick to a failing surface.

I also discovered decades ago (in regard to the rubber mats) that BMW has usually offered two designs. They sell the ones in the parts department (which Ive never cared for that design) while there was another rubber mat sold in the parts database that usually had a different design for each model. I’ve always preferred that design and ordered the model specific rubber all-weather mats versus the ones sold at the dealership. The rubber mats for my e34 & e38 looked similar…but my e39, e53, f06, & f15 all looked different. But if I had gone with the ones from the dealership…they all would have looked alike.

{e38 rubber mats}

{e39 rubber mats}

{e53 rubber mats}

{f06 rubber mats}

{f15 rubber mats}

Then there’s also the plastic liners which are usually the ones designed by WeatherTech…but will have the BMW label on it instead. I hit the jackpot on my f15…it had the plastic liners (front & rear) installed and the box they came in was in the cargo area that was pictured in one of the seller’s images. When I went to check out the vehicle…the box was still there and when I peaked into the box, I could see a set of the rubber all weather mats. I asked if I got to keep the box if I purchased it and they said yes.

When I got home with the vehicle and pulled the rubber mats out to check them out more thoroughly…the carpeted mats were also down inside…still in the sealed plastic bag and had never been opened. I ended up using the rubber mats instead of the plastic liners
Attached Images

Last edited by Qsilver7; 11-26-2021 at 07:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2021, 04:19 PM   #12
crystalworks
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Wow…I didn’t think there were any screw in floor anchors left! It’s been decades since I’ve seen that type. The last time I can remember the screw in fasteners was on my 85 325e. Everything since then has been some type of fastener that was the bayonet design.

But yes, if you have the floor anchors with the bayonet (like pictured above)…look for the slit in the carpet…and push the bayonet down through it and give it a turn.
Yep, the bayonet style works much better. Thanks again for that info. Felt like I was going to break them when installing them, but they definitely aren't moving or coming out of the carpet. Fortunately I had a set in a parts car E60 that I have plans for the drivetrain...

And having owned 5 E30's QS, it's very probable those new sets (I have more) were from E30 mat purchases.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2021, 09:31 PM   #13
Surgx5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X5

Quote:

I've got the all weather mats in my X5. Easy to keep clean. They fit well so they don't or shouldn't move much should the Velcro not work. Or take a fork or something and clear the Velcro and that should help.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2021, 09:05 PM   #14
Xstar
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 35iX (gone)

Quote:

3D carpet mats tend to stay in place. Supposedly you can simply spray them off using a pressure hose or else a car wash sprayer to clean off embedded grime.
https://www.findway.ca/f518-3d-car-f...-velcro/09250b
Appreciate 0