BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

09-11-2014, 12:20 PM   #67
BKMK5
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 MB C43

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42pilot View Post
Those are numbers at the rear wheels??? That's over 575 at the crank with 12% power train loss. Do you have a dyno sheet for that? I would love to see where that makes power in the RPM's.
http://www.burgertuning.com/M3_M4_S5...nce_tuner.html
SOLD-2011.5 ///M3 Sedan ZCP
SOLD-2008 E90 335i Sport
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2014, 12:40 PM   #68
X5Jouster
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive50I Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l. View Post
My 550 has the N63TU motor which should be the same as the F15 5.0 motor (just different covers) and my engine has those sensors on there. Burger tuning originally sold me a tune using those sensors for my car but later on told me that the tune wasn't effective anymore tapping to those. It was fine for the old N63 but for the TU bmw changed something so he revised the TU tune using the MAF sensors instead.
If you look at my 50i air filter post and look at the pictures, that will tell you if they are the same. The air filter on ours is in the front I thought others had them in the back
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2014, 12:56 PM   #69
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

^^ i saw your post. I think the core engine is still the same or they wouldn't be both called N63TU. Covers, intake routing all appears to be different though.
      09-11-2014, 01:14 PM   #70
sbkim
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i

Wow that's some story there. Oddly enough my wife also had similar series of cars noted in your post - 2013 GL550 (too big) so went to 2014 MDX (too ugly ) and now we are with 2015 50i and she couldn't be happier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKMK5 View Post
So here how I ended up with a 50i and not by choice. I had the Mercedes GL for a few months when my au pair quit and went back to Germany. Well there wasn't any reason to be driving around a gas guzzler with 3 rows and all i'm transporting is my wife and 2 kids (1 and 2 year olds).

So in April of this year I put the GL up on SwapALease and got a guy who wanted it and we went through all the paperwork. I placed an order for a fully loaded 35i M Sport in Mineral White, Mocha Nappa with the leather dash and yada yada yada. Sure enough several weeks goes by and the guy finds out that he'd have to pay tax on the lease even though I've already rolled my taxes into the lease. Well he backs out and subsequently I have to back out of the X5. The X5 was ordered on 4/30, arrived at the dealer on 5/23 and then sat on the lot until the weekend of 6/14(found out the hard way).

Well my GL was parked in the street on 6/20 and a drunk driver doing 80MPH(cops estimated) hit my GL head on and his MDX flipped. Well my GL was totaled and the very next day I go to BMW thinking my preordered X5 that was sitting on the lot for 3 weeks would still be there. Well by the 4th week on the lot it was sold! You could only imagine the elation I had watching the tow truck driver tow my car away knowing I had my 'dream' truck(not really dream truck but you know what I mean) waiting for me at the dealer, only to find out it was SOLD! Well I couldn't order a 2014 X5 any longer and I couldn't wait till now to be receiving a 2015 by the end of August beginning of September, I had to look on the lots. Well there were very few M Sports and the 35i M Sports that were available were bare bones. I wasn't going to buy or lease a car I wasn't happy with the specs. The only alternative I has was to take an X5 50i and make concessions like the leather dash and door trim I really wanted or the LED headlights.

No thats not the wait for the M3s, but I plan on doing another Euro delivery for another M3. My wifes G37x goes back next June so if I do an ED the middle/end of April, go for a 7 day trip and visit the Spa in Belgium and the Nurburgring (bucket list stuff) and then ship the car back I'll have it in time to replace the G37. And at that time the wife gets the X5(another reason not to tune the X5) and I'll have the M3. I'll surely be tuning the M3 once it gets back here. 510HP and 522ft/lb at the wheels is amazing for an M3.

Turbos + Tunes =
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2014, 01:56 PM   #71
cy07
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 50i 2016 M3

Quote:
So here how I ended up with a 50i and not by choice. I had the Mercedes GL for a few months when my au pair quit and went back to Germany. Well there wasn't any reason to be driving around a gas guzzler with 3 rows and all i'm transporting is my wife and 2 kids (1 and 2 year olds).

So in April of this year I put the GL up on SwapALease and got a guy who wanted it and we went through all the paperwork. I placed an order for a fully loaded 35i M Sport in Mineral White, Mocha Nappa with the leather dash and yada yada yada. Sure enough several weeks goes by and the guy finds out that he'd have to pay tax on the lease even though I've already rolled my taxes into the lease. Well he backs out and subsequently I have to back out of the X5. The X5 was ordered on 4/30, arrived at the dealer on 5/23 and then sat on the lot until the weekend of 6/14(found out the hard way).

Well my GL was parked in the street on 6/20 and a drunk driver doing 80MPH(cops estimated) hit my GL head on and his MDX flipped. Well my GL was totaled and the very next day I go to BMW thinking my preordered X5 that was sitting on the lot for 3 weeks would still be there. Well by the 4th week on the lot it was sold! You could only imagine the elation I had watching the tow truck driver tow my car away knowing I had my 'dream' truck(not really dream truck but you know what I mean) waiting for me at the dealer, only to find out it was SOLD! Well I couldn't order a 2014 X5 any longer and I couldn't wait till now to be receiving a 2015 by the end of August beginning of September, I had to look on the lots. Well there were very few M Sports and the 35i M Sports that were available were bare bones. I wasn't going to buy or lease a car I wasn't happy with the specs. The only alternative I has was to take an X5 50i and make concessions like the leather dash and door trim I really wanted or the LED headlights.

Turbos + Tunes =
Wow I am glad no on was in the car when that happened. So what did you get at the end? LED the trim? Though I think you made a great purchase, 50i is just so much fun to drive minus the thirst for gas.

I too feel the same way about turbo + tunes! You can get some real world performance at a very low cost! Seeing how well JB4 performs on blue's 50i makes you think twice about paying big dollars on the same thing from AC Schnitzer, Dinan, and Hamann.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2014, 02:13 PM   #72
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

Disregard. Post updated below.

Last edited by opasha; 09-11-2014 at 06:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2014, 06:12 PM   #73
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Ok, so I decided to completely take apart the engine area myself and install the RaceChip via the MAP sensors the way RaceChip designated this tune to be installed. Let me tell you...this is not an easy at all. However, turns out, my mechanic did in fact use the wrong plug (the 4720 - red plug). This plug absolutely does not work and I don't know why it was sent in the first place...I was surprised because there's no way it would have connected to the sensors - no wonder there was a Drivetrain malfucntion. The 8720 plug (pink plug that is shorter) is the right plug that plugs into BOTH the MAP and the MAF sensors. So, I plugged it in and did the whole install myself. I'm about to go drive my car right now and will report back what I find. I also set the RaceChip tune back to factory settings (I never touched S1=1, but I change S2=B back to B from A). Hopefully, this works without errors.

If not, I completely give up and will definitely be selling this chip on ebay for $400. Please excuse my frustrations and give me the benefit of the doubt. I did this install and guide for all of you. I hope it helps. If you are thinking about this chip...I don't recommend it if you want an easy install. Go with BMS for sure. The MAF sensors are so much easier to just plug into than having to remove things to get to the MAP sensors. I feel like I have a mechanic's strong forearms now....can't remember the last time I did a good forearm workout, lol.

UPDATE: I just got back from driving in all 3 modes. The car is again much more powerful (S1=1 and S2=B RaceChip Ultimate TB factory settings) and there are no issues whatsoever. No CEL or any other alerts present. So, the install for RaceChip is definitely using the pink 8720 plug into the MAP sensors in front of the intercoolers. If anyone has any questions or needs any help, feel free to PM me.

Last edited by opasha; 09-12-2014 at 04:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2014, 06:39 PM   #74
BKMK5
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 MB C43

Quote:
Originally Posted by cy07 View Post
Wow I am glad no on was in the car when that happened. So what did you get at the end? LED the trim? Though I think you made a great purchase, 50i is just so much fun to drive minus the thirst for gas.

I too feel the same way about turbo + tunes! You can get some real world performance at a very low cost! Seeing how well JB4 performs on blue's 50i makes you think twice about paying big dollars on the same thing from AC Schnitzer, Dinan, and Hamann.
I ended up with a 2014 X5 50i with Executive package, Driver assistance package(no ACC ), HK, 4zone climate, and I think thats it. Not the way I wanted it but the bigger engine makes up for it. I'm getting the M Performance grills put in next wednesday and also picking up the plastic piece to do the phone cradle delete.

Back to the topic. BMW turbos now put out ridiculous amounts of power
SOLD-2011.5 ///M3 Sedan ZCP
SOLD-2008 E90 335i Sport
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2014, 07:51 PM   #75
42pilot
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 35d MSport

Quote:
That's a nice dyno. Do you know why there are so many ripples to the torque curves?

My hat's off to you for actually getting a dyno. Thanks
      09-12-2014, 01:34 PM   #76
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

It looks like the ripple was there from stock.
It just being enhanced by the tune also.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2014, 01:38 PM   #77
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Just an update. It seems that I might still need to let the chip settle, but @42pilot says this is not necessary if I read correctly because the car should automatically read/implement the chip parameters. The car only seems strong in Sport mode. When I was in Eco-Pro, there was a decent bit of lag esp at the higher RPM. Looks like I'll be trying the C setting next for sure in a few hours time after I run the car a little more. Might take a quick highway run before that.
      09-12-2014, 03:27 PM   #78
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

I just personally installed the BMS N63tu Stage 1 tune on @Tcap F15 X5 xDrive50i. Installation was exactly as what @bluelodge400 stated.
It literally took only 2 minutes. 1 minute to pull the car in and open up the hood. The rest was just, unplug the MAF connector and reconnect with the tune in between, then repeat on the other side.
I didn't drove the car, but TCap was happy with it.
Appreciate 1
      09-12-2014, 09:05 PM   #79
42pilot
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33 View Post
It could be, but then the "tune" isn't much of a tune if it simply amplifies stock. There are some pretty steep cliffs early in the curves.
      09-12-2014, 09:40 PM   #80
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42pilot
Quote:
It could be, but then the "tune" isn't much of a tune if it simply amplifies stock. There are some pretty steep cliffs early in the curves.
Most of tuners that didn't build the map from scratch, usually just enhanced and tweaked from the stock map.
And in order to built a map from scratch, you are pretty much need to build the engine from scratch also and uses a MOTEC sort of ECU.
Been there, done that, fun but very time consuming and headache.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2014, 03:43 PM   #81
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Just an update, with stock settings, there is considerable throttle lag in Eco-Pro and Comfort (more lag here) in the initial RPMs, so I'm going to try S2=C and report back.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2014, 07:53 PM   #82
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

OMG...wow! I just got back from testing/driving the X5 on back roads and the highway. The S2=C setting was all I changed, and I can now say I have an official MONSTER in my garage. This thing hands down will be able to destroy my brother's ML63 AMG with ease. There is no more lag in any mode. Eco-Pro now has about the same power output as stock Comfort believe it or not. When I pushed harder and faster, there was no lag in the early RPMs and there was no loss of power/tapering off in the higher RPMs (some noted this in their 3.5 testing and I noticed this in setting B for Eco-Pro and slightly in Comfort). Sport mode on the highway really throws this thing into fast M territory and I confidently say this having driven my brother's ML63 AMG...my X5 5.0i picks up faster - the shifts were smoother and the car just kept going faster without lag/delay. Obviously I would need raw data and a real dyno to prove this, but I drove the same roads I normally do with both cars, and I kid you not...it was as if the car was a completely different vehicle - no exaggeration. I did a rolling start from the highway merge ramp at 15-20 mph and thought I hit 80 mph so fast...I was wrong and the speedometer read 105mph - I was shocked. No shaking of the car or loss of control whatsoever. Color me very impressed/happy. If anyone buys this chip, leave S1=1 and change S2=C.
      09-13-2014, 07:57 PM   #83
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

@opasha,
Appreciate 1
      09-13-2014, 08:08 PM   #84
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
@opasha,
Thanks, Ben . I'm really happy with this now. Still, if I were to go back and choose, I would go with the BMS because it's much easier to install and take out since it uses the MAF sensors rather than the MAP sensors that RaceChip uses. The other downside is if you don't do your own oil changes or don't have someone that is NON-BMW to do your oil changes (I always do full synthetic through Midas usually for all my cars), then you have to completely take this out (not easy remember) for BMW to do the oil change for you without setting off red flags. That's the ONE big hassle with this chip if you want to keep your warranty from being voided. Also, I had to cut the zip ties again (thankfully I bought 100 from amazon for $5) and take out the 6 torx screws to change the MAP setting for S2; it is a real pain in the butt each time because their tool torx tool is too short to keep doing quick unscrewing in one easy repeated motion.

Last edited by opasha; 09-13-2014 at 08:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2014, 08:19 PM   #85
TCap
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 xDrive 50i M-Sport

Quote:
I just personally installed the BMS N63tu Stage 1 tune on @Tcap F15 X5 xDrive50i. Installation was exactly as what @bluelodge400 stated.
It literally took only 2 minutes. 1 minute to pull the car in and open up the hood. The rest was just, unplug the MAF connector and reconnect with the tune in between, then repeat on the other side.
I didn't drove the car, but TCap was happy with it.
Thanks @R33! I can definitely feel the difference. The thing is a beast!
Appreciate 1
      09-13-2014, 09:00 PM   #86
42pilot
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Most of tuners that didn't build the map from scratch, usually just enhanced and tweaked from the stock map.
And in order to built a map from scratch, you are pretty much need to build the engine from scratch also and uses a MOTEC sort of ECU.
Been there, done that, fun but very time consuming and headache.
Yep - I tuned cars for 12 years using LINK ECU's from NZ, Honeywell sensors, and so on. I also used Mustang dyno's that would load motors rather than Dynojet that is basically a spinning drum. Converted most of the motors myself, from the ground up. My last conversion (finished 2 years ago) will be tuned a week from today by me, from scratch. It will take a couple of months but it will be street drivable with over 700hp from 3.6L (750 hp on E85).

On my 2011 F10 550, Dinan basically took the stock base tune as a baseline and re-tuned the car rather than altering signals. Awesome curves and performance. That's why their tunes are over $3000 (hundreds of hours tuning/testing) and BMW will install them at the dealer.
      07-29-2015, 02:23 PM   #87
chrisfc923
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21 MBB X5MC

question regarding what to do if I wanted to get a dyno to see the difference. I planned on getting the baseline runs and then do runs after I plug in the chip. Would I get an accurate idea of the gains this way or does the chip need to settle in or adjust in order to see max gains?
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2015, 02:28 PM   #88
chrisfc923
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21 MBB X5MC

I heard mpg goes up with this chip... anyone with it experience this first hand?
Appreciate 0