Rep
Drives: '14 M5 CP & '14 X5 50i

Garage List
2014 BMW M5  [0.00]
2014 BMW X5 50i  [0.00]
2011 Ford F250 4x4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by riM3 View Post
oh I dunno... it can take up to a day to flash an ecu/troubleshoot any issues...once they've written, tested and released the updated software...
I certainly agree with you that it can take a day (at most) to flash an ecu; however NOT three to four weeks. I've been in the software business for 35 years and they don't call it a "flash" for nothing.

A flash not a big deal assuming they have the fix AND it's not really a hardware issue they have not admitted to. I am leaning more and more to it being a hardware/part issue that they have not owned up to.

Why would BMW hide these issues? They have nothing to gain as buyers will just speculate and in many cases the speculations are worse than the facts.

I'll drop a line to a guy I know at autoweek and see what he can dig up.
      11-08-2013, 01:41 PM   #46
Roundown
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by utahm5
Quote:
oh I dunno... it can take up to a day to flash an ecu/troubleshoot any issues...once they've written, tested and released the updated software...
I certainly agree with you that it can take a day (at most) to flash an ecu; however NOT three to four weeks. I've been in the software business for 35 years and they don't call it a "flash" for nothing.

A flash not a big deal assuming they have the fix AND it's not really a hardware issue they have not admitted to. I am leaning more and more to it being a hardware/part issue that they have not owned up to.

Why would BMW hide these issues? They have nothing to gain as buyers will just speculate and in many cases the speculations are worse than the facts.

I agree with- unlikely BMW is hiding anything. Take a look at the M5 oil pump issue, they had no problem owning up to the fact that there was a hardware issue.

Not clear to me that anyone is more or less comfortable with hardware vs. software... Especially if the fix is homogenous from '14/15.

That said, I empathize with your desire for more/consistent information from BMW NA. Right thing for them to do would be to send an apology letter, detailing the issue/remediation plan as well as a coupon for matts/trunk liner... for those waiting a really long time, maybe pick up the first payment (or a rebate).
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2013, 07:49 PM   #47
MRV99
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP / 2017 RRS SC

Garage List
2017 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by utahm5
Quote:

You may need to consider the number of 50s being flashed. There could be 250 of them and you can be sure they only have so much capacity to flash. If they can do 10 a day, it will take 25 days. That is if everything goes perfect. Who knows the order they are doing it in.

17 M3 ZCP -- 2017 Range Rover Sport SC
--RIP--
12 X5 50i Sport -- 11 M3 DCT -- 2011 X5 50i(Lemon) -- 2008 550 Msport -- 2007 x5 4.8 sport -- 2004 545 sport -- 2002 x5 4.4 sport -- 2001 540i Msport 2000 SL500 -- 1997 SL500
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2013, 06:23 AM   #48
barcelona
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: X

If you would like to see two pictures of your vehicle, you need last 7 digits of VIN.

Select pdf.

http://www.bmwarchiv.de/vin/bmw-vin-decoder.html
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2013, 06:47 AM   #49
AresM3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRV99 View Post
You may need to consider the number of 50s being flashed. There could be 250 of them and you can be sure they only have so much capacity to flash. If they can do 10 a day, it will take 25 days. That is if everything goes perfect. Who knows the order they are doing it in.
They rep told me they have as many as 2000 to do. I think this number could be a good reason why they have no idea when my vehicle will be done.

Quote:
That said, I empathize with your desire for more/consistent information from BMW NA. Right thing for them to do would be to send an apology letter, detailing the issue/remediation plan as well as a coupon for matts/trunk liner... for those waiting a really long time, maybe pick up the first payment (or a rebate).
A little something would be nice. Heck, I would be happy with a letter and a hat. A first payment would be outstanding.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2013, 07:57 AM   #50
Genechen22
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 x5 50

It's bullshit that they can't even give us an estimate! They know how many they have to flash and how long each takes, but they choose not to give any additional information out. Very disappointed and a terrible experience so far.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2013, 08:45 AM   #51
Bug Rx
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 x5 xdrive50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genechen22 View Post
Did you hear this from your dealer or BMWNA? It's not for sure until your vehicle is on the truck! Ask them if it's on the truck.
Both BMW and my dealer are telling me that my 50i is currently shipping to the store. Should arrive on Tuesday! Keeping my fingers crossed!
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2013, 09:49 AM   #52
ckortane
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Coupe

That's awesome. Still haven't received an update. 2nd BMW in a row where the CA has left (sales mgr this time) while waiting or car to arrive. I will call BMW and dealer today.

Anyone doing pcd get a call yet? I'm sure we have to be proactive to get this scheduled based on the lack of info the dealers and BMW have provided over the last 2 mos.

Strongly leaning towards leasing the x5 now instead of buying it since odds of issues. ( ie lemon) have risen. Anyone else debating buying or leasing?
      11-10-2013, 08:38 AM   #53
Roundown
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckortane View Post
That's awesome. Still haven't received an update. 2nd BMW in a row where the CA has left (sales mgr this time) while waiting or car to arrive. I will call BMW and dealer today.

Anyone doing pcd get a call yet? I'm sure we have to be proactive to get this scheduled based on the lack of info the dealers and BMW have provided over the last 2 mos.

Strongly leaning towards leasing the x5 now instead of buying it since odds of issues. ( ie lemon) have risen. Anyone else debating buying or leasing?
No a 5.0i buyer...but yes, I am. Given the steering issues, odd option packages, and what seems to be a surprising amount of 1st-run oddities... I'm thinking I might lease. I had figured given the F10 base, modern manufacturing, testing and modeling techniques employed at BMW would reduce these quirks. It's too bad, really. I hate paying the acquisition fee... but I don't want to be hung with the 'year to avoid'.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2013, 09:26 AM   #54
Bug Rx
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Im leasing, because at the end of 3 years i would rather just walk away from car and get a new one. Who wouldn't rather have a new car every 3 years instead of same car for next 6-7?! Lol
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2013, 09:52 AM   #55
AresM3
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug Rx View Post
Im leasing, because at the end of 3 years i would rather just walk away from car and get a new one. Who wouldn't rather have a new car every 3 years instead of same car for next 6-7?! Lol
Problem is, I like keeping my cars for around 10 years, and it is nice not having a payment for 5 years +... I just don't know how that will go with owning a BMW that long. Our first 330i got crushed by a stupid driver, so we only had that one for 6 years. Replaced it with the 09 M3, and we can't see ever letting that one go. We love it that much. I think we are going to buy / own the new X5 and see how it is with it and the M3. If it all goes bad, we can still sell after 4 years and lease the next ones.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2013, 10:39 AM   #56
Bug Rx
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I am leasing the x5 as a secondary fun car. I can understand not wanting the payments after 5 years. I originally went into dealer to buy the car and had a nice conversation with the salesman. He was trying to be as honest with me as possible and talked me into just leasing it. As he put it, after the warranty is up, we are going to screw you on maintenance. I have had a few relatives with bmw's and after warranty was up they needed repairs that were ridiculously high. So high, that they had to dump the cars for a loss. I like the safety in dumping the car before i run into that scenario.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2013, 12:04 PM   #57
BlackLemon
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 13-750i, 15-Hurc., 14 X5 50i

Iam Leasing as well....Single payment lease is where its at. Hand them a check and say see you in 39 months to get a new one.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2013, 04:10 PM   #58
dencoop
Captain
Rep
Drives: Porsche (991) 911 C4S Cab

My Source told me yesterday that the friking 50s will be released on 11/14.

I am sending an e-mail to the PCD manager tonight to see if they will confirm.

This is getting so ridiculous - my car was ordered in June. It was built in August
...knowing your car is physically built and just sitting there for 3 months is ridiculous....

Am very close to just getting the New RR big body...or maybe a Cayenne Turbo...

It's getting to the breaking point for me....

Ill keep you guys posted. Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2013, 04:25 PM   #59
michaeljhale
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 M3 (Aug/Sep production)

Just got the text from my dealer. The 5.0 has arrived. Pics to follow... #bmwofencinitas
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2013, 05:09 PM   #60
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 23 Tesla S Plaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeljhale View Post
Just got the text from my dealer. The 5.0 has arrived. Pics to follow... #bmwofencinitas
Congrats. I would love to hear your thoughts on driving it and how it handles since we both have M3s.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2013, 06:17 AM   #61
AresM3
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gblansten View Post
Congrats. I would love to hear your thoughts on driving it and how it handles since we both have M3s.
Me too! I know it is not going to be the same...but can it be in the same ballpark?
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2013, 07:01 AM   #62
ckortane
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeljhale
Good luck. Hopefully you pick it up today and are the first F15 X5 50i owner in the USA - a mild celebrity for those who have been patiently waiting
      11-11-2013, 08:22 AM   #63
okiekids
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 50i

Can you tell us what production week your vehicle order was? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2013, 12:21 PM   #64
ckortane
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by okiekids
Can you tell us what production week your vehicle order was? Thanks.
Originally I think it was supposed to have a production week the 1st or 2nd week of October but was done on 9/23
      11-11-2013, 12:44 PM   #65
okiekids
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 50i

Mine was finished a day later 9/24. I called just now. It still says shipping 11/18, est arrival 11/21. Frustrating. Perhaps they will get it on a truck sooner.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2013, 01:21 PM   #66
Roundown
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug Rx
Sure- but you can always trade a car in...no acquisition fee, tax benefits depending on the state, etc. I've leased and I've purchased...but I never understood the 'frequency' argument, there's no free lunch here.

I like to lease so I have the option to avoid dealing with accelerated depreciation at disposition (minor accident damage and/or first year issues, as is the case here)...but you pay a premium for that option (mf tend to be 1-2% higher than similarly termed loans, acquisition fees are ~$725-$975, less tax-efficient, etc).
Appreciate 0