BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-19-2014, 02:07 PM   #23
Windy City
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 IND/ESS modded vert

At the current time I am waiting to be contacted on a schedule for the BMW "engineer" to experience the problem personally.

I will keep everyone informed as to progress, etc.

I have full faith that they will remedy the situation.

FYI, the day we ordered the X5, I bought a 2014 X6 M off the showroom floor. Absolutely no issue with it whatsoever.

I bought it for my DD. I like it WAY better than my wife's X5, although it is not as decadent.

More to follow.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2014, 06:17 PM   #24
Trinitytwo
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 F15

Had mine it today - they called and said it was just a wheel balance issue and now is fine. I haven't drove it yet, so hopefully that's it! Hope all goes well with yours.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2014, 09:44 PM   #25
Windy City
Private
Rep

Trinity, sounds good. I hope when you get back in it it's all good.

We are still waiting for a date from the dealer. If I don't get a call tomorrow, I'll call them Friday.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2014, 03:12 PM   #26
ramsal
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 & 2018 M3

I'm also experiencing this issue, it's like the whole car is vibrating at 90-100km/h. The SA asked me if their tech can drive me car home at night to test it at speed, i said yes, whatever you need to do to fix it. The next day I was told that after reprogramming (as part of the recall) they would need to test it again at speed. When I went to pick it up after 2 days of "investigating" they told me that they drove a brand new one and it had the same problem. Although when I asked to speak directly to the technician he admitted that it was a problem, he also indicated that BMW would not do anything about it if brand new cars also had this issue.

In the end I feel like my concerns were largely dismissed at Brian Jessel BMW in Vancouver, very disappointing. I had the 2013 model for few months and did not have these vibrations on it.

Please keep us posted on your progress Windy City, it will be interesting to see how various dealers deal with this problem. I will raise it with them again when I go in in 2 weeks for some unrelated replacement parts which are on order. I'll also provide an update. This issue appears more wide spread than I initially expected.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2014, 10:02 AM   #27
stewy604
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 xDrive 35d M Sport

^^^ Not a good experience at all ramsal. I would escalate this to the service manager.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2014, 10:02 AM   #28
ChicagoDon
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i M Sport

I had a 1979 320i that had the exact same issues. The problem was that BMW designed the car with all the heavy components on the driver's side and when the driver got in, the car was seriously unbalanced. There was no real solution, just a few tweaks to minimize the shake. We relocated the battery to the trunk, put in a slightly stiffer spring in the drivers front suspension and lowered the passenger died height, but these only reduced the shake and din't remove it. Hopefully your problems are not design related.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2014, 01:41 PM   #29
Henke77
Enlisted Member
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 535dA Touring F11, 2013

I can't really see why they wont do anything if other new cars have the same issue? If they are all bad, they have to fix all of them? Does it matter if they are all brand new? I would escalate this to management or BMW NA, return the car or stop paying the lease until they fix it!
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2014, 01:42 PM   #30
Henke77
Enlisted Member
Sweden
Rep

Windy City, what is the status for you? Lemon time?
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2014, 03:26 PM   #31
ramsal
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

I just wrote an email to the SA and the Service Manager stating my disappointment and requesting an escalation of this issue up the chain. Currently awaiting a reply.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2014, 06:23 PM   #32
Windy City
Private
Rep

As of today my dealer has not contacted me since Friday.

What I know or have been told:

I spoke with the service writer on Friday 5/23 and they tried repeatedly to speak with someone but ended up with a message that said person will be out until Tuesday 5/27.

No word from the dealer yesterday or today, I sent email late this afternoon as I have been buried at work.

I will expect a response tomorrow, and hopefully with a scheduled date for said "factory engineer" to experience the issue first hand.

The vehicle has been sitting garaged since last Monday.

The wife is THOROUGHLY frustrated with the issue and the time it is taking to get a response.

After spending approximately $300,000.00 on new BMW's in the last 12 or so months, I can say I would expect better.

By tomorrow my patience will be wearing thin.

I welcome private or public comment from anyone experiencing similar issues.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2014, 10:21 AM   #33
ramsal
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Windy City, sounds like you're getting a bit of a run around, surprising given the business you've given them. Makes me feel a bit better but trust me I'm with you.

Got a response to my email from yesterday "addressing" all of my other concerns EXCEPT for the vibration issue. The SA removed the Service Manger (whom I CC'd on my email to him) from the reply and did not even acknowledge my request to escalate the vibration issue. My next step will be to email the Service Manager directly and CC the SA requesting some attention to this matter. I'm beginning to feel a little helpless and seriously considering if I've made the right decision by going with BMW. My Honda, which I had for 7 years prior to this, had never seen the inside of a shop except for regular maintenance, since I swapped to the X5, I'm beginning to know the dealer staff on a first name basis. Definitely not what I expected!
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2014, 11:39 AM   #34
buckeyewalt
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windy City View Post
As of today my dealer has not contacted me since Friday.

What I know or have been told:

I spoke with the service writer on Friday 5/23 and they tried repeatedly to speak with someone but ended up with a message that said person will be out until Tuesday 5/27.

No word from the dealer yesterday or today, I sent email late this afternoon as I have been buried at work.

I will expect a response tomorrow, and hopefully with a scheduled date for said "factory engineer" to experience the issue first hand.

The vehicle has been sitting garaged since last Monday.

The wife is THOROUGHLY frustrated with the issue and the time it is taking to get a response.

After spending approximately $300,000.00 on new BMW's in the last 12 or so months, I can say I would expect better.

By tomorrow my patience will be wearing thin.

I welcome private or public comment from anyone experiencing similar issues.
If you Google BMW vibration issues you will see a lot of them and a lot of them sound just like your complaint. The majority of fixes on this issue has to do with tire and wheel combination and the balance of each. In some rare cases driveline/steering defects were found but mostly in the tire/wheel. This is an article that describes a Hunter wheel/tire balancing machine that not only measures balance but lateral run-out. Don't know if helps any.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/att...9&d=1334046740
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2014, 12:45 PM   #35
Windy City
Private
Rep

So as an update, I spoke with the service writer at the dealer today. He said the BMW representative is set to visit on 6/16.

Thus the vibration will be status quo for 2 more weeks.

The wifey is not to happy, glad I have my X6 M!

Of course she keeps threatening to drive my supercharged M3.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2014, 01:23 PM   #36
stewy604
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 xDrive 35d M Sport

^^ Of course she does!
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2014, 01:47 PM   #37
ramsal
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Took my car in again to have some replacement parts installed (unrelated) and took one of the techs for a test drive to demonstrate the vibration issue first hand. I drove half way and he drove back, both ways the vibrations were evident at 90-100km, even in the passenger seat. At this point I can even hear the hum of these vibrations.

He did act somewhat surprised when the car started vibrating and stated that something was definitely off. He will start with verifying the wheel balance and move on from there. He will also be contacting BMW regarding this issue. He agreed that a minor vibration at 10,000km could mean a major vibration at 80,000km, not to mention impact on other car parts. I'm somewhat encouraged by my interaction with the dealer today although we'll see what they say when I go to pick it up.

What I'm most surprised about is that not more people are reporting this issue especially since last time they told me that brand new vehicles on the lot also do this.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2014, 11:35 AM   #38
Windy City
Private
Rep

Our X5 goes in Monday. I will definitely post any communications I have ASAP.

FYI, there is a great deal of this type of complaint in the M5 community. A search for it will yield many posts.

Ramsal, no one associated with BMW or the dealer has said to me "The same thing is apparent in other new vehicles".

If they did this, I would march them right into the dealerships general managers office and ask them to repeat it.

My next question would be, "What are YOU going to do about this?"

I am not sure if the issue is the result of certain options all coming together, a hard to detect flaw in one of the drive train components, or a matter of sun spots effect on the BMW plant the day the car was assembled.

Either way, the result is not acceptable. No one was told at the time of sale, "Oh by the way, your new vehicle will vibrate like a scared Chihuahua from 56-64 MPH, just disregard it."

At that point I think anyone would have walked over to the Porsche, Audi or Mercedes dealers.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2014, 04:06 PM   #39
ramsal
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

I just emailed my SA for an update since I dropped my car off on Wednesday morning (8am). The reply I got made me laugh because it was just what I expected. He said that they only started looking at my car this morning (Friday) because they are short handed in the shop. Something about sickness, injury and a trip to Vegas, needless to say my X5 has just been sitting there for 2 days while I drive around in a little gutless courtesy/rental car. I almost called the Service Manager but my wife talked me down from that ledge.

I'm still fuming but trying not to overreact and started communicating with them via email so that I have full record of this experience.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2014, 05:44 PM   #40
ramsal
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Picked up the car last night after a call from the SA. They performed road force balance and found that both wheels of the left side of the vehicle were out of acceptable range and had to be rebalanced. They also found that there was excessive play in the front prop shaft which lead them to replace the drive shaft from the transfer case to the front diff. The report indicates that the road test came back OK....well, as soon as I hit the highway on the way home from the dealer, guess what??? same vibration at the same speed range...problem still there! Called the SA right there and then and told him to start thinking about plan B. Unbelievable! Will post more as this develops.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2014, 06:15 AM   #41
Henke77
Enlisted Member
Sweden
Rep

Windy City, no news yet? ramsal, updates?
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2014, 10:50 AM   #42
ramsal
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

No significant updates. I wrote the SA an email restating what I told him on the phone that the vibration is still there. He replied that he has informed BMW of this. I was told they will look at it again when I bring the car in to have the trunk latch replaced (due to creaking sounds it makes when driving) in a couple of weeks.

I also have a faint knocking sound around front passenger side wheel (confirmed by the dealer tech during a test drive) which could be related to the vibrations but they could not isolate it when replacing the drive shaft etc. It was there before the new drive shaft and it is still there now.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2014, 06:50 PM   #43
Windy City
Private
Rep

Update: sort of.................

2 days at the dealer with the factory rep(engineer?) in charge, no fix as of yet.

Lots of things attempted but as of yet no solution.

There is no doubt it has to be frustrating to all involved.

I know it has the Warden upset. She wants to drive her decadent BMW!

If I hear something tomorrow, I will post the solution.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2014, 06:44 AM   #44
Windy City
Private
Rep

OK, I have an update on this and I believe it is good news.

The factory recommended to the rep onsite to loosen/disassemble ALL the drive train components, then re-torque to specs. The idea was that something could be in tension or compression and causing the issue.

I guess there are a few bolts that once loosened, they are required to be replaced. I know this a common practice for any threaded fastener under critical loads.

2 of these bolts are close in length to one and another.(I think 12MM was thrown out there) The tech performing the work stated these 2 bolts were reversed, in there location, at the time of installation.

But, either if something was in tension, or the bolt length issue was causing the grief, I have been told the problem has been fixed!

My SA himself drove the car and verified the situation is repaired. He is too a "car guy" and was very interested in the whole process.

We will be picking up the vehicle this afternoon. I will try to post more specifics and the "as driven" results.

One comment for sure, I had the faith in Laurel BMW from the beginning and sure enough, it seems like that came through!
Appreciate 0