BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-24-2015, 03:31 PM   #1
TxBeem
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90

Anyone here considering GLE450 coupe?

I was looking into getting x5 but I saw a MB GLE450 coupe next to X5 I was considering and man what a good looking vehicle. I may reconsider purchasing X5. And I don't like the look of X6. Any one else on the forum having 2nd thoughts about getting X5/X6 and at least considering the new GLE450 coupe?
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2015, 06:06 PM   #2
BMWboy
There is No Chance Unless You Take One
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 50i M Sport

Looks are a matter of personal opinion. That said, I've had my X5 for a while and have come to appreciate the styling even more over time. The GLE450 does look good; it pulls off a sporty look better than the X6, which has an awkward side profile - in my opinion!
      12-24-2015, 07:33 PM   #3
Kzang
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i Msport SG

I saw one close up ( was parked next to mine ) earlier today while last minute christmas shopping and honestly.. I really dig the styling. To me GLE looks better in the rear than the X6 and I'm starting to like the front as well.
I'm curious about the driving comparison though...

12-24-2015, 11:16 PM   #4
hamh
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 MSport + VW GTI

I have considered that before I purchased my X5. If compare with stock version, the GLE coupe has stronger and aggressive power, more aggressive look and default 21 inch rims.

However, there are a few things that change my mine and go for the X5

- interior design and technology
- leather quality
- dash material quality
- head up display, GLE coupe doesn't even have that
- with mppk, the x5 is comparable on performance
- with m performance kit and after market rims , the x5 can look a lot more aggressive with more interior space too
- I personally like the look of the led headlight of the x5
      12-24-2015, 11:34 PM   #5
artem123
Captain
Rep
Drives: G30

Man, sorry, but in my opinion, GLE450 is one ugly looking vehicle. I never liked X6 for the same reason, but MB pushed X6 design even further and made it X6 look like a swan next to it. Sorry.
      12-24-2015, 11:47 PM   #6
twelve535i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by artem123 View Post
Man, sorry, but in my opinion, GLE450 is one ugly looking vehicle. I never liked X6 for the same reason, but MB pushed X6 design even further and made it X6 look like a swan next to it. Sorry.
+1

@3:11- Summary of the looks

@5:45- You realize he's right. There are no good angle on the GLE. It's sad because the ML was much better looking.

Sure, a CLA looks great because it's small and cute but it doesn't work on a huge SUV. I don't like the idea of "one face" for all lines.

One thing to consider is power. A TT V6 will be able to yield more power tuned than the N55 can, if that matters to you at all.
Appreciate 1
      12-25-2015, 04:43 AM   #7
UltimateManga
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 & X6

The outside of the GLE is to much of a copy of an X6 also the interior is abit dull and boring compared to the BMW I'd have X5/X6 all day long over an ugly Merc
Appreciate 1
      12-27-2015, 06:11 PM   #8
alphaod
Mmmmm…
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15

Garage List
I had ordered the GLE63S Coupe (since there was no 500/550 version) but my biggest issue was the interior. For such a nice car, the interior was closer to the lower end models which for me made no sense. With the BMW, I had an intermediate V8 choice and the interior was uniform across the car model ranges. Plus these seats are so comfortable and plush.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2015, 11:26 PM   #9
kanvas
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaod View Post
I had ordered the GLE63S Coupe (since there was no 500/550 version) but my biggest issue was the interior. For such a nice car, the interior was closer to the lower end models which for me made no sense. With the BMW, I had an intermediate V8 choice and the interior was uniform across the car model ranges. Plus these seats are so comfortable and plush.
I remember stepping inside a CLA45 AMG and I couldn't believe how low-quality the interior was, especially the trim and overabundance of plastic.
      12-31-2015, 06:41 AM   #10
Shaw
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 35d | 2019 X3 30i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzang View Post
I saw one close up ( was parked next to mine ) earlier today while last minute christmas shopping and honestly.. I really dig the styling. To me GLE looks better in the rear than the X6 and I'm starting to like the front as well.
I'm curious about the driving comparison though...

there's no comparison in design and looks IMO...the X6 is MILES away!!!
The GLE looks awful in design interior and exterior...if anyone is in the market for sporty SUV, I'd be surprised why they would even consider the MB.
The red speedometer indicators remind me of my son's battery operated jeep...the navigation display looks like something was patched on afterwards as they had completely forgotten to include it into the initial design concept...and don't even get me started on those hideous circular air curtains...
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2015, 08:59 AM   #11
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep
Drives: '22 X6M/'21 S1Krr

Earlier this year, I was on the fence with this comparison as well.

I placed an order for a 2009 X6 35i late 2008, and drove that car for a bit over 4 years. With a few small mods, my old X6 was the perfect car for me. Never got tired or bored with it, even after 4 years of fun behind the wheel with such an exclusive looking car due to very limited competition, save the Acura ZDX.

In 2013, I traded my X6 for a 650 GC, and even though I had lots of fun with the GC for a few years, there was a part of me that missed attributes of the X6. After only a year of driving the 650, I knew my next car was going to be the next generation x6 50i.

Then I saw concept designs of the GLE Coupe. Whoa... never been a big fan of MB only because I simply prefer to sacrifice a little luxury for superior driving dynamics, but man the MB copy cat looked amazing in concept designs found all over YouTube since 2014.

I was doing so much research on the forums, comments and videos on YouTube between the X6 and GLE. Such a difficult decision between the two, because on screen and paper, the two cars had good and bad points from my perspective that put them on equal ground... that is until I saw them in person at the NYIAS earlier this year.

Seeing the X6M and GLE AMG in person, the scale started tipping over to BMW that day. Both still look great, and have amazing performance stats, I just felt like the BMW was the right choice for me. I felt the X6 had the more aggressive / sporty design, and I am just familiar with BMW over the past 7 years. Also, the MB kinda looks a bit bloated / clumsy, compared to the lean athletic look of the X6.

I picked up my 2016 X6 50i about 6 weeks ago, and even though I have seen quite a few GLE coupes on the road throughout BK and Queens, I am still very happy and proud of my new toy!
The interior of the X6 is much nicer than the Benz IMHO. Even my neighbor with the CLA was very interested in my new car when I brought it home last month. LOTS of compliments from this MB enthusiast. I'm sure he will be pulling up in GLE sometime this year however, because he seems to be a bit of a loyalist like myself, lol.

Here are a few low quality comparison pics of the two from the 2015 NYIAS.
Attached Images

12-31-2015, 09:10 AM   #12
Kzang
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i Msport SG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaw View Post
there's no comparison in design and looks IMO...the X6 is MILES away!!!
The GLE looks awful in design interior and exterior...if anyone is in the market for sporty SUV, I'd be surprised why they would even consider the MB.
The red speedometer indicators remind me of my son's battery operated jeep...the navigation display looks like something was patched on afterwards as they had completely forgotten to include it into the initial design concept...and don't even get me started on those hideous circular air curtains...
All subjective... Many here like the Msport and some don't.. some like the M performance aero kits and some don't. Some like the Xline over the Lux line and some don't.
      12-31-2015, 03:45 PM   #13
Shaw
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 35d | 2019 X3 30i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzang View Post
All subjective... Many here like the Msport and some don't.. some like the M performance aero kits and some don't. Some like the Xline over the Lux line and some don't.
You're right...but that's a bimmer's personal preference thing...which is normal, hence variation.
My point was on the GLE. That vehicle does not have any design characteristics...I'm questioning why would anyone hesitate between X6 and GLE.
Appreciate 0