mattsnow
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i

Just ordered my X5...

...35i AWD with:

space grey
beige dakota
cold weather package (I am in Anchorage, AK)
driver's assist
driver's assist plus
ACC stop and go
lighting package
premium package
space save spare
HK sound
night vision
ceramic controls

So why did I buy this car? I don't think I am the typical BMW buyer. When i think of vehicles, there is a trade off between gadgets, performance, ambiance (soft vs harsh and quiet vs loud ride), reliability, and understated looks. I don't really need to go faster than most any car I'd consider, so performance is not that important to me. My perfect car would be a not too big or gas guzzling crossover SUV that was really reliable, quiet, bump absorbing, gadget rich, and understated. BMWs give up some ride quality and reliability for performance in a way that is not optimal for me. But when i look at my other options - mercs have too much bling (gaudy chrome everywhere) and poor gas mileage; audis require 6+ months for an order to get to Alaska and not enough gadgets; the lexus RX just looks stupid, both outside and inside, and is gadget poor; rovers are notoriously unreliable; the Touareg is both unreliable and a gas hog; etc - i just always get back to the BMW.

I got a beige interior because on the few warm sunny days here (and more elsewhere if i decide to go on a long road trip or move to the lower 48) I'd rather not have scalding seats.

I got all the driver's assist stuff because it really is cool tech and perhaps it might save my (or someone else's) bacon someday.

I am just not going to justify the extravagance of the lighting package. I do want the auto high beam (which is cool tech and quite useful on long stretches of unlit Alaskan roadways), but the price is pretty high for that functionality. I hope the LED lights are better in some way. I also hope that some day we can program/retrofit the anti-dazzle function, but I am not holding my breath.

Premium package - an expensive way to get keyless operation, but such operation is a must-have.

Space saver spare - we run studded tires here in the winter and I'll use non-run flats for this (probably Hakka 8s). When the OEM run flats wear out, I will probably go to a regular all season tire for the summers because these will be quieter, softer, and longer lasting while (acceptable for me) sacrificing some performance.

HK sound - I think the HK is better than stock and i can't hear a difference between the HK and the B&O.

Night vision - because well...night vision! how cool is that! perhaps I will avoid a moose some day.

Ceramic controls - as i said before, I want an understated vehicle. To me, too much chrome or other metal finishes look cheap - like someone or some designer is trying too hard. The people and things i have encountered in my life that are really good don't need to scream how good they are - they remain understated and then wow you over time. The ceramic controls remove some bling from the interior.
Appreciate 1
      02-28-2015, 12:35 AM   #2
Snow-Kidney
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F15

Agreed on premium pkg.

Did you get a line (x, lux, m)?
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2015, 12:38 AM   #3
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

Very nicely loaded X5 . Congrats, buddy!
      02-28-2015, 12:50 AM   #4
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

@mattsnow, what a build. Congrats!!
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2015, 12:54 AM   #5
barcelona
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: X

Nice, your diligent homework will payoff handsomely. Like to see pics, with Hakka 8's together in pristine background.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2015, 05:59 AM   #6
mattsnow
Enlisted Member
Rep

snow-kidney: I did not get any of the lines. The lines seem to offer bigger wheels and more chrome, but I don't want either. I understand that some like the look of bigger wheels but for me i want the softer ride of the smaller wheels. Function over form. As far as chrome, i think i already expressed my preferences which is chrome = not understated = bling = yuk. These are just my preferences.

Last edited by mattsnow; 02-28-2015 at 06:26 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2015, 06:02 AM   #7
mattsnow
Enlisted Member
Rep

barcelona - I won't get my car until the end of april/early may so i wont take the studs off my trade-in car and will use the run flats until next fall. Next fall i'll mount studded tires (most likely hakka 8s) and will post picts then. Thanks for asking a fellow northman.

Last edited by mattsnow; 02-28-2015 at 06:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2015, 07:10 AM   #8
NVRfollo
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M550

You will not regret the LED lighting package. The light is very bright and it seems to light up a wider area. You will have much better visibility on those unlit roads.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2015, 10:46 AM   #9
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsnow
... lexus RX just looks stupid, both outside and inside
Well said and +1 lol.
Appreciate 0