BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5 and X6 (F15/F16) Forum

03-03-2023, 06:04 AM   #1
lauritzm
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X6 xDrive50i

Question F16 steering wheel / pedals / seating / ergonomic tips

Hello!

I recently got an F16 and I am loving it. I am however still finding the perfect sweet spot with the seat setup. I am 6"3' / 192cm. My seating position is good, no issue during shorter drives, just not perfect as my legs can get a little strained on longer drivers (from sitting a little bit too close, if I put the seat further back my upper back gets strained from reaching). I have the sports seating with all the adjustments (M Sport package multi-contour seats), sitting at about 90 degrees _| with the upper back of the seat tilted all the way forward to better reach the steering wheel.

The underlying issue to me seems to be, depending on how you look at it, that the pedals are too close or that the steering wheel is too far away. To make sure I state the obvious; I have adjusted the steering wheel to the position closest to the driver (low and long). I have tried to raise the seat a little (instead of the lowest setting), which helps, but still finding that perfect setup. I also find that sometimes stretching my left leg behind the brake pedal helps as well as cruise control for my right foot.

I know this is not an unknown problem with the F16, anybody else found tips that help with the setup? I am pretty sure changing the steering wheel / lengthening the steering column is going to be too expensive, and I don't really see how you'd move the pedals further away either. Is steering wheel spacers possible for this car? It is not really a seating issue, as it is more the position of the wheel and the pedals.

99% this is just one of those things you have to get used to, but figured I'd give it a shot to see if anybody had some tips.

Last edited by lauritzm; 03-03-2023 at 06:13 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2023, 06:43 AM   #2
lauritzm
Enlisted Member
Rep

I found this company and recommendation.

https://949racing.com/product/xtndr-...2014-x3-4-5-6/

I talked to the support there and they said this would also fit an F16. Bought it and going to try to install it. Will let you know if it helps as I know more people have complained about a short steering wheel column in the F16.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2023, 06:51 AM   #3
Variante Alta
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5d M Sport Metallic Whit

That is very interesting - I’d like for the wheel to come just a bit closer to my otherwise ideal seating position in my F15. Price is another issue - $300! I’ll wait for your review. Appreciate you finding it.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2023, 11:13 AM   #4
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Just to verify...you are aware that the bottom seat cushion has at least 8 adjustments...10 adjustments if you have the extending thigh support.

The bottom seat cushion can be moved (red arrows in pic below):
  1. up
  2. down
  3. forward
  4. backward

...and the front and/or rear of the bottom cushion can also be tilted by turning the switch button in an arc (twist button clockwise or counter-clockwise) {green arrows in pic below}:
  1. front tilt upward
  2. front tilt downward
  3. rear tilt upward
  4. rear tilt downward

...and thigh support can be moved fore/aft (blue arrows in pic below):

The bottom seat cushion's tilt features should be able to give long legged drivers some relief by tilting the front of the bottom cushion upward and the rear of the bottom cushion downward...and if you have the thigh extension feature...extending that cushion will also give you extra support. You may need to raise the lower seat UP if you need more front edge upward tilt and/or rear edge downward tilt. If the seat is all the way to the floor...it can hinder the amount of lower seat cushion tilt function.

All of the above should be worked through first...then adjust the upper seat back for arm length, lumbar support, and upper back articulation.
Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 03-08-2023 at 11:56 AM..
Appreciate 1
      03-09-2023, 06:11 AM   #5
lauritzm
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Variante Alta View Post
That is very interesting - I’d like for the wheel to come just a bit closer to my otherwise ideal seating position in my F15. Price is another issue - $300! I’ll wait for your review. Appreciate you finding it.
It is high, but looks not-too-horrible and if it allows me to stretch my legs out fully it is worth it. I will keep you posted!
Appreciate 1
      03-09-2023, 06:14 AM   #6
lauritzm
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
Just to verify...you are aware that the bottom seat cushion has at least 8 adjustments...10 adjustments if you have the extending thigh support.

The bottom seat cushion can be moved (red arrows in pic below):
  1. up
  2. down
  3. forward
  4. backward

...and the front and/or rear of the bottom cushion can also be tilted by turning the switch button in an arc (twist button clockwise or counter-clockwise) {green arrows in pic below}:
  1. front tilt upward
  2. front tilt downward
  3. rear tilt upward
  4. rear tilt downward

...and thigh support can be moved fore/aft (blue arrows in pic below):

The bottom seat cushion's tilt features should be able to give long legged drivers some relief by tilting the front of the bottom cushion upward and the rear of the bottom cushion downward...and if you have the thigh extension feature...extending that cushion will also give you extra support. You may need to raise the lower seat UP if you need more front edge upward tilt and/or rear edge downward tilt. If the seat is all the way to the floor...it can hinder the amount of lower seat cushion tilt function.

All of the above should be worked through first...then adjust the upper seat back for arm length, lumbar support, and upper back articulation.
Thank you Qsilver. I am aware of (almost) all of those adjustments. I did not know about the rear bottom cushion tilt, I thought it only did front bottom cushion tilt, but that makes a lot of sense. I will try that as well! Even if it does not solve my arm vs leg length issue, another adjustment is always welcome in finding the perfect seating position.

Just as you noted I have found that raising the whole seat up helps with finding a better position, even though it makes seeing the traffic lights at stops in the US slightly inconvinient.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2023, 06:20 AM   #7
lauritzm
Enlisted Member
Rep

On a slightly unrelated note, with my body type I almost feel like the more adjustments I have on a seat and the fancier it is the harder it is to find a setup that works... I have the same problem when I drive my parents Q7 with multicontour seats, can't seem to get it just right, especially any car with lumbar support.

Drove a borrowed 2011 Hyundai Elantra for a few weeks when I was waiting for the X6, no problems what so ever
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2023, 09:07 AM   #8
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauritzm View Post
...I almost feel like the more adjustments I have on a seat and the fancier it is the harder it is to find a setup that works...
That is very true. The more options one has...the more difficult it can become to make a decision or fine-tune. It's so much quicker to select what flavor ice cream if the choices are vanilla or chocolate. When you give me 32 different flavors...umm, umm, umm... and the addition of various nuts and chip flavors...I'm now holding up the line.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2023, 02:40 PM   #9
AxelDoobie
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d

Im 6'6 and also noticed I cant lean as far back in my X5 as I could in my old E320. For me I think the biggest thing was that the X5 steering wheel (I have the default one) is a bit small in diameter, so for me to do a bottom grip (hands hanging onto the bottom) my arms have to be somewhat elevated and its more tiring.

lauritzm I'd love to know how that install goes. If its super simple I could do it myself but I doubt its easy and I dont know of any auto shops that would install aftermarket mods like that for me.

Anyways, just wanted to suggest that maybe if your steering wheel had a larger diameter (the paddle shifting one perhaps?) then that might help.

Qsilver7 I also did that but the seating isn't ideal. I have to sit a bit forward and my upper knees area / lower thighs don't make contact with the seat, so the extendable seat cushion can't really come in handy.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2023, 04:09 PM   #10
lauritzm
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxelDoobie View Post
Im 6'6 and also noticed I cant lean as far back in my X5 as I could in my old E320. For me I think the biggest thing was that the X5 steering wheel (I have the default one) is a bit small in diameter, so for me to do a bottom grip (hands hanging onto the bottom) my arms have to be somewhat elevated and its more tiring.

lauritzm I'd love to know how that install goes. If its super simple I could do it myself but I doubt its easy and I dont know of any auto shops that would install aftermarket mods like that for me.

Anyways, just wanted to suggest that maybe if your steering wheel had a larger diameter (the paddle shifting one perhaps?) then that might help.

Qsilver7 I also did that but the seating isn't ideal. I have to sit a bit forward and my upper knees area / lower thighs don't make contact with the seat, so the extendable seat cushion can't really come in handy.
Interesting. I prefer to keep my hand on the top of the wheel if I am cruising, not the bottom, and the wheel is too high for my taste, so I think a bigger one won't work for my usage. BMW are usually on point about this, so I find the F15/F16 layout a bit unfamiliar from my experiences from the older Exx-series. Haven't tried any newer ones.

Will keep you guys posted about the install. I just got it yesterday, waiting for my friend to have time to install it with me so I don't accidentally set off the airbags or anything stupid like that...
Appreciate 0