BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5 and X6 (F15/F16) Forum

09-21-2015, 08:36 PM   #89
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

I have optigloss on my satin BBS wheels and it made a world of a difference on how easy they are to clean now. Prior to optigloss the satin finish was a pain to clean but now it wipes clean almost as easy as a gloss wheel. You will still need an Arsenal of wheel brushes with that many spokes though lol

Alan
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2015, 09:58 PM   #90
hamh
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 MSport + VW GTI

is this the product you're referring to?
http://www.detailedimage.com/Optimum...-Coating-P554/

or this?

http://www.amazon.com/OPTI-GLOSS-SUR...2890862&sr=8-1
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2015, 11:11 PM   #91
Alan l.
Major General
Rep

First one. Search about it online. I have my entire car coated with this. Never have to wax again and water beads on the surface like crazy... Dirt doesn't want to stick to the car as much.

Alan
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2015, 06:57 AM   #92
Blackhawks
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 x35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l.
First one. Search about it online. I have my entire car coated with this. Never have to wax again and water beads on the surface like crazy... Dirt doesn't want to stick to the car as much.

Alan
It's not something you necessarily want to apply yourself, though. There's a process where heat lamps bake on her coating. It's not as simple as brushing it on yourself... And there's a reason why it normally costs ~$1500 for the whole car.

This is the best place to get it done in the area: http://chicagoautopros.com/services/

If you want to get it done immediately after delivery, tell Eugene to not take the plastic off the car and run it straight over to Chicago Auto Pros. I was going to get mine done at delivery but decided to wait until the spring. Most places also do a paint correction service, as part of the prep work for the application... And just because your car is new doesn't mean the paint job was done well. They'll show you all the imperfections under a light.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2015, 07:23 AM   #93
Alan l.
Major General
Rep

Optimium Gloss Coat you can DIY. No need for heat lamps etc. if your paint is fresh you can just do minimal prep work and DIY yourself. I did it to my last three BMWs when they were new. Amazing stuff. Paint is glossier, water beads on it like no other and the key thing is that it keeps the car cleaner longer since rain water literally flies off the car. For $70 bucks and DIY its better than any wax imo.

Modesta is even better from what I know but that requires the heat lamps and you can not even buy it unless you are a professional detailer. You are also looking at a minimum of 1200-1500 for Modesta.

Alan
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2015, 09:17 AM   #94
hamh
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l. View Post
Optimium Gloss Coat you can DIY. No need for heat lamps etc. if your paint is fresh you can just do minimal prep work and DIY yourself. I did it to my last three BMWs when they were new. Amazing stuff. Paint is glossier, water beads on it like no other and the key thing is that it keeps the car cleaner longer since rain water literally flies off the car. For $70 bucks and DIY its better than any wax imo.

Modesta is even better from what I know but that requires the heat lamps and you can not even buy it unless you are a professional detailer. You are also looking at a minimum of 1200-1500 for Modesta.

Alan
What are the prep work you need to do? I read the product description it said you'll need optimum polish to remove any defect and clean it with 15% IPA solution afterwards, are those the steps you do?

When you say the paint is fresh, you mean right after getting it from dealership? or it can be a few days after that too?

I'm still new to the DIY scene so I'm trying to be as careful as possible before I start the project
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2015, 09:25 AM   #95
Alan l.
Major General
Rep

The idea about these new paint sealants is that they act like a permanent coating on top of your paint. Once its on it locks in the condition of the paint below it so you would want the paint surface as perfect as possible. Swirl free, contaminant free, basically flawless.

For me a fresh/new car from the dealership is close enough to perfect for me so all i do is wash my car with dishwashing soap then wipe it down with IPA alcohol before I start applying the Optigloss.

For others even a new car needs some sort of paint correction to buff out any swirls or scratches before they want the coating applied. It all depends on how anal you are with your paint condition, where your car is parked etc. My car sits outside 24/7 in a dedicated parking spot so I've come to accept that my paint won't be 100% flawless all the time. I am ok with that and given that its white its also much harder to notice any flaws. If i had a black car then thats a totally different story.

If you know how to wax a car then you can DIY Optigloss. Its kinda like wiping on WD40 on the surface of your paint but this stuff flashes away on its own. If you want to apply this i would highly suggest you spend some time on youtube and look up DIY videos on how to do it properly. Tons of videos out there you just need to look for it.

Alan
      09-22-2015, 10:38 AM   #96
Blackhawks
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l.

Alan
You're right Alan... I misspoke. I was thinking of Modesta. Need coffee!!!!
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2015, 11:49 AM   #97
Doanster
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 F15 Carbon Black M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawks
You're right Alan... I misspoke. I was thinking of Modesta. Need coffee!!!!
That's why there's clear differences between consumer grade/DIY vs Pro-Only. Opti Gloss, Dura Gloss etc. are the former and Opti Coat Pro, C. Quartz, etc. are the latter.
Ease of application (or lack thereof) as well as longevity are the big differences.
      09-22-2015, 12:07 PM   #98
Kzang
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i Msport SG

I didn't know about the consumer grade application.. Otherwise I would have done it. The pro version is expensive..
After 6 months I guess I can have my car clayed and apply the sealant?
      09-22-2015, 12:28 PM   #99
Doanster
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 F15 Carbon Black M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzang
I didn't know about the consumer grade application.. Otherwise I would have done it. The pro version is expensive..
Like Alan said, all depends on how many swirls you're comfortable with. Claying a car only removes surface contaminants to make the clear coat smooth before applying anything else. Swirls in the paint will be locked-in once you apply Opti on top. That's why it's also recommended that if you're going to invest here, it's best to do it at delivery time when there's minimal swirling. If you want to seal it 6mos from now, you'll want to have it polished/corrected first, which will cost a few (or many) hundred outside of the sealant. Cost, again, dependent upon how bad the paint is.
      09-22-2015, 12:40 PM   #100
hamh
Second Lieutenant
Rep

ok, looks like it's gonna be a lot of work on this weekend.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2015, 12:58 PM   #101
Blackhawks
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doanster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzang
Like Alan said, all depends on how many swirls you're comfortable with. Claying a car only removes surface contaminants to make the clear coat smooth before applying anything else. Swirls in the paint will be locked-in once you apply Opti on top. That's why it's also recommended that if you're going to invest here, it's best to do it at delivery time when there's minimal swirling. If you want to seal it 6mos from now, you'll want to have it polished/corrected first, which will cost a few (or many) hundred outside of the sealant. Cost, again, dependent upon how bad the paint is.
Correct. The paint correction cost was the unknown variable in the process when I was shopping around. It would also be nice if BMW wrapped their cars for the trek from South Carolina.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2015, 01:01 PM   #102
Alan l.
Major General
Rep

ditto...my X5 got several rock chips from the trek up from SC to NY. It must have been at a bad spot on the trailer because my rear bumper/hatch had several chips on it that isn't possible from normal driving.

Alan
      09-22-2015, 01:17 PM   #103
hamh
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l. View Post
ditto...my X5 got several rock chips from the trek up from SC to NY. It must have been at a bad spot on the trailer because my rear bumper/hatch had several chips on it that isn't possible from normal driving.

Alan
oh no... so did you fix those small chips before you apply the gloss?
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2015, 03:05 PM   #104
Alan l.
Major General
Rep

No. I am pretty picky when it comes to my cars but not to the point where I go insane over every tiny little chip. I'm stressed enough over other things lol

you can still touch up the paint with the optigloss on though...
      09-23-2015, 01:26 PM   #105
hamh
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Sigh... First DIY newbie mistake, get the tools too quick without looking.

I was about to paint my MPE tip today and realize the primer (rust-oleum) I got is not self etching and not for high heat, and without it the paint might fall off either during installation with soldering or later on when the exhaust heat up.

And I need to bring the parts to the dealer tomorrow so that I can get them installed by Friday pick up
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2015, 02:06 PM   #106
hamh
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Finally...

Name:  x5progress2.JPG
Views: 463
Size:  29.3 KB

I guess they might not have enough time to put in both the MPPK and MPE today as it is 2pm already
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2015, 02:12 PM   #107
Kzang
Major General
Rep

Did you check your dealer? I'm wondering if the X5 had already arrived and installed everything maybe yesterday? The online timeline is not very accurate.
      09-25-2015, 02:23 PM   #108
hamh
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzang View Post
Did you check your dealer? I'm wondering if the X5 had already arrived and installed everything maybe yesterday? The online timeline is not very accurate.
I talked to the sales and it just arrived today.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2015, 04:04 PM   #109
hamh
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Alright, the car will be ready by 5pm today with MPPK and MPE installed! But too bad wife has to work late

Man, i just can't wait to get the car and put on the double slated grill, front splitter and rear diffuser!
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2015, 06:31 PM   #110
Kzang
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamh
Alright, the car will be ready by 5pm today with MPPK and MPE installed! But too bad wife has to work late

Man, i just can't wait to get the car and put on the double slated grill, front splitter and rear diffuser!
Sweet! Are you doing the splitter and diffuser install yourself?