BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

06-20-2015, 02:54 AM   #1
Albertawilliam
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 X6M

Question What are the issues of your F86/F85?

After 5 days driving, I did enjoy the ride, and the hp is there, even within 3k rpm; However.... yeah However, I also found some problems of my brand new X6M:
1, Very easy to get creases on the side of the seat, especially on the driver's side(the high bolster on the side where you climb out), and I found another 2015 X6M(which already has 3000km) is even worse, the seat on the driver's side looks really.....looks like it had been used for years, even the color get changed, check out the picture.
2, The squeak noise when steering to the right, not so serious, but definitely noticeable.

So I took the car back to the dealership, and the following are the solutions, that I would like to share, just in case u have the same problems:
1, They will help to to treat the seat in 2k KM break in service, they said heat gun can effectively remove those wrinkles, I did find a video on the youtube, but what do u think?

2, they have asked their best technician who have 14 years in working in BMW service, and we test drive the car together, he did identified the problems, and I dont fullly understand but I remember he said it's the sping or the plastic parts under the steering wheel airbag, why that happens? lack of lubricating oil, and they will lubricate the parts see if that helps to solve the problems, but if not they will replace the part When I come back for 2k KM break in service.

Also please let me know what do u think? Any better solutions? Are those issues considered as defects?

Last edited by Albertawilliam; 06-20-2015 at 02:57 AM.. Reason: sorry for gramma mistakes
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2015, 06:58 AM   #2
UrbanExtant
Captain
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 Comp Pack

My problems have been:

1) sunroof was not initialized at factory, so didn't work

2) BMW Apps didn't work, had to have a PuMA case opened to get it fixed

3) there is a plastic rattle/squeak coming from somewhere behind my left ear when driving. If I close the boot privacy cover, it abates, so it has to be coming from that area.

Otherwise, it's been great. I have minor creasing on my driver seat at 2600 miles, but nothing huge. I make a concerted effort to hoist myself over the seat as I exit, rather than rake across it.

AlbertaWilliam- the faulty part in your steering wheel is called a "clock spring" that same part squeaked and went out in my old X5. It's a known part to fail in many cars, and is, thankfully, a very easy fix.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2015, 07:32 AM   #3
puckybadger
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X6 M60i LCI TBII/Tartufo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertawilliam View Post
After 5 days driving, I did enjoy the ride, and the hp is there, even within 3k rpm; However.... yeah However, I also found some problems of my brand new X6M:
1, Very easy to get creases on the side of the seat, especially on the driver's side(the high bolster on the side where you climb out), and I found another 2015 X6M(which already has 3000km) is even worse, the seat on the driver's side looks really.....looks like it had been used for years, even the color get changed, check out the picture.
2, The squeak noise when steering to the right, not so serious, but definitely noticeable.

So I took the car back to the dealership, and the following are the solutions, that I would like to share, just in case u have the same problems:
1, They will help to to treat the seat in 2k KM break in service, they said heat gun can effectively remove those wrinkles, I did find a video on the youtube, but what do u think?

2, they have asked their best technician who have 14 years in working in BMW service, and we test drive the car together, he did identified the problems, and I dont fullly understand but I remember he said it's the sping or the plastic parts under the steering wheel airbag, why that happens? lack of lubricating oil, and they will lubricate the parts see if that helps to solve the problems, but if not they will replace the part When I come back for 2k KM break in service.

Also please let me know what do u think? Any better solutions? Are those issues considered as defects?

I think you are going to be stuck with that look on the seat. My 04 X5 and 14 X5 look the same. That said, I drove my 04 for 9 years/200,000 miles and most importantly, the leather did not tear or crack.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2015, 09:20 AM   #4
fyim
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E92

1600kms here, i will list them from Most Important to Less Important:

1. A "clunk" noise from boot lid from time to time

2. Some minor "rattles" from front suspension when going 15-20mph over uneven/broke pavement (i think 21"s has something to so) like i have no bushes. For example if i drive my E70 with 20"s RFTs the same road same speed i goes very smooth

3. Drivers seat wear very quickly

4. A small rattle from center console (haven't identified it yet)

5. LBB colour is like a magnet for bugs!
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2015, 07:14 PM   #5
wdimagineer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 M

I have no major concerns so far, just an annoying rattle coming from the dashboard on the passenger side. I think I've isolated it to the chrome end cap piece that sits next to the air vent. Removing it is almost impossible without breaking clips (broke one on the driver side when I put my Euro headlight switch in) so I'll just let the dealer look at it when I drop the truck off for the break-in service.

A few other small rattles/noises here and there but I can probably fix those myself when I have more time.
      07-02-2015, 11:34 PM   #6
OlegUK
Kazakhstan
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by XX66MM View Post

2. Some minor "rattles" from front suspension when going 15-20mph over uneven/broke pavement (i think 21"s has something to so) like i have no bushes. For example if i drive my E70 with 20"s RFTs the same road same speed i goes very smooth

1. Same
2. Very disappointed with this, I have 20" wheels on F85, very clear rattles from front suspension :thumb down. In Kazakhstan roads are not very good, so I hearing these rattles every day. Dealer confirmed this problem and will try to find decision. They think that this is front stabilizer.
3. Same
4. Same, dealer already corrected this. They dismount panel with cup-holders and grease it with silicone spray. It works.
5. Black Sapphire is a magnet for bugs and scratches
Appreciate 1
      07-03-2015, 02:53 PM   #7
fyim
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlegUK
Quote:

1. Same
2. Very disappointed with this, I have 20" wheels on F85, very clear rattles from front suspension :thumb down. In Kazakhstan roads are not very good, so I hearing these rattles every day. Dealer confirmed this problem and will try to find decision. They think that this is front stabilizer.
3. Same
4. Same, dealer already corrected this. They dismount panel with cup-holders and grease it with silicone spray. It works.
5. Black Sapphire is a magnet for bugs and scratches
If the dealer manages to sort the front axle rattles let me know, very interested to solve mine also
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2015, 09:37 AM   #8
OlegUK
Kazakhstan
Rep

Quote:
If the dealer manages to sort the front axle rattles let me know, very interested to solve mine also
Ok, I will let you know.
Another F86 in our city also came with this problem.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2015, 01:56 PM   #9
fyim
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Ok, I will let you know.
Another F86 in our city also came with this problem.
Any news?
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2015, 03:29 AM   #10
OlegUK
Kazakhstan
Rep

Quote:
Any news?
Not yet, dealer ordered new front stabilizer! 3 weeks to wait
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2015, 09:24 PM   #11
oryshi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F10M5/335AH

I also have a bunch of rattles. It's a lease but still very irritating on an expensive car. Does anyone think the fact it is made in the US has anything to do with lower build quality? No offense to US auto workers but my understanding is that quality control standards are higher in Germany. I have heard similar concerns from CLA45 owners - car apparently manufactured in Romania.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2015, 01:39 AM   #12
fyim
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

The CLA is built in Kecskemet, Hungary.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2015, 05:55 AM   #13
OlegUK
Kazakhstan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by oryshi View Post
I also have a bunch of rattles. It's a lease but still very irritating on an expensive car. Does anyone think the fact it is made in the US has anything to do with lower build quality? No offense to US auto workers but my understanding is that quality control standards are higher in Germany. I have heard similar concerns from CLA45 owners - car apparently manufactured in Romania.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlegUK View Post
Quote:
Any news?
Hi guys! The reason of rattles is steering rack. I just replaced it, and yes, now everything is perfect. Also I recommend to do new coding for the car. Exhaust sound become better!
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2015, 06:12 AM   #14
tastelid
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M

shameful that a car this expensive has "rattles". come on, bmw!
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2015, 08:21 AM   #15
fyim
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by oryshi View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlegUK View Post
Quote:
Any news?
Hi guys! The reason of rattles is steering rack. I just replaced it, and yes, now everything is perfect. Also I recommend to do new coding for the car. Exhaust sound become better!
Can you detail more about coding?
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2015, 11:53 AM   #16
2thdr
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '18 Macan GTS/'18 GT3/''21 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertawilliam View Post

OP, talk to Troy at AutoObsessed in the southeast part of the city. He can likely advise you on how to deal with the creases in your side bolster on a long term basis.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2015, 05:42 AM   #17
OlegUK
Kazakhstan
Rep

Quote:
Can you detail more about coding?
BMW did new update, I don't know all changes, but I noticed change in exhaust sound, especially in normal mode (not sport or sport+).
New update number is F025-15-07-503, from factory was F025-14-11-506.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2015, 08:05 AM   #18
gan23
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5M '18 XM’23 X5 50e 24

Quote:
BMW did new update, I don't know all changes, but I noticed change in exhaust sound, especially in normal mode (not sport or sport+).
New update number is F025-15-07-503, from factory was F025-14-11-506.
Weird, F025-14-11-506 is not listed in ISTA. They probably updated the car before it left the factory
Attached Images
File Type: pdf P3.56.5_ISTA-P VERSION AND I-LEVEL OVERVIEW.pdf (538.0 KB, 544 views)
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2015, 08:09 AM   #19
gan23
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5M '18 XM’23 X5 50e 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by gan23 View Post
Weird, F025-14-11-506 is not listed in ISTA. They probably updated the car before it left the factory
Sorry, wrong version. There's even a newer: F025-15-11-501
Attached Images
File Type: pdf P3.57.0_ISTA-P+VERSION+AND+I-LEVEL+OVERVIEW.pdf (546.1 KB, 452 views)
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2015, 09:02 AM   #20
wdimagineer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 M

Summary of my issues:

- obnoxious buzzing/rattling sound coming from the right rear of the vehicle, usually when in Sport+, but regardless of mode it always happens ONLY between 2000-2100 rpm. My dealer opened a PuMA case with BMW but of course haven't followed up yet.

- random rattles, thunks, and thuds from the rear

- driver seat squeak (fixed) but leather is creasing

- small nick from delivery in the metal finisher on the right side of the dashboard

- small nick on my shadowline trim from the factory on the right side rear passenger door

- haze/water spots/sticker residue that cannot be removed on my windshield - I've tried polish, clay, everything... looks like it might be defective. (My F15 had pretty poor glass too)

- horrible brake squeal, but we all seem to have this (still unacceptable though)

- my steering wheel is now creaking/clicking, which sounds like the clockspring has gone bad

I need to get her in to the dealer soon, but waiting for Dinan to release their iOS app so I can put my box into bypass mode.
      10-26-2015, 09:11 AM   #21
tastelid
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M

Why did you accept delivery if it had damage from the factory? What is the solution to that?

Sad to read about these issues just as my vehicle nears delivery. Gives me the fear!
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2015, 09:32 AM   #22
UrbanExtant
Captain
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 Comp Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdimagineer View Post
Summary of my issues:

- obnoxious buzzing/rattling sound coming from the right rear of the vehicle, usually when in Sport+, but regardless of mode it always happens ONLY between 2000-2100 rpm. My dealer opened a PuMA case with BMW but of course haven't followed up yet.

- random rattles, thunks, and thuds from the rear

- driver seat squeak (fixed) but leather is creasing

- small nick from delivery in the metal finisher on the right side of the dashboard

- small nick on my shadowline trim from the factory on the right side rear passenger door

- haze/water spots/sticker residue that cannot be removed on my windshield - I've tried polish, clay, everything... looks like it might be defective. (My F15 had pretty poor glass too)

- horrible brake squeal, but we all seem to have this (still unacceptable though)

- my steering wheel is now creaking/clicking, which sounds like the clockspring has gone bad

I need to get her in to the dealer soon, but waiting for Dinan to release their iOS app so I can put my box into bypass mode.

If you locate the culprit of the buzzing/rattle from the rear, please let me know. I have a similar noise behind my left ear while sitting in the driver's seat.
Appreciate 0