BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-17-2023, 06:07 PM   #1
EuroCarFan
Captain
Rep
Drives: E60 M5, F85 X5M

BAND vs FM/AM Button - Interchangeable?

Odd question here but my car has the BAND button to switch from FM to AM to Satellite radio. I was going to buy a replacement panel but I've seen ones that just have the FM/AM button (instead of labeled as BAND). Would it be a problem for me to use that or does it mean I will only be able to switch from FM to AM and not Satellite radio if put in that panel?
Dinan CAI/Exhaust/Ignition Coils; BM3 Stage 1; xHP Stage 2; Sprint Booster; 22" Aristo Forged Sport 7 Split; KW V3s; 3D Rep Splitter/Side Skirts, Parsan Tuning Diffuser; Renegade Roof Spoiler; M Performance Kidney Grills/Fender Vents; iND Roundels/Trunk Emblem; CF Flat Bottom Steering Wheel; M Performance CF Steering Wheel Trim/Center Console/Shifter/Sport Pedals, Andream CarPlay; BlackVue DR750S Dash Cams
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2023, 04:20 PM   #2
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

If it’s just the button (not the panel)…probably not an issue other than what’s written on the button. If the new cover will be pressing the same existing button..nothing would change. It could have EJECT written on the new cover…but if it was pressing the button that changed between am/fm/satellite….that’s what pressing the button would do even though it says EJECT.

I would recommend using the correct 11 digit BMW part nbr when shopping for parts. This helps when there are changes during the production run. Sometimes things can change slightly…and by using your VIN to pull up the diagram…you can click on the correct part number which will open the part cross reference feature. If older parts are acceptable…it will be listed as retroactively exchangeable.

If you’re not familiar with any of these databases..two of the best are www.realoem.com or www.bimmercat.com … just enter your VIN, then go to the electrical diagrams for the button kit you seek, then select the diagram/part number based on your installed options. Once you have the correct part number, click on it to see the part cross reference to see if you can use different parts.

You can then also shop online using the correct part nbrs (ie BMW xx xx x xxx xxx {where x=the actual part nbrs})

This is as far as I can go because you didn’t give any model year info…and there are date ranges (up to & from) in the part database…instead of uploading incorrect data…you’ll have to enter your VIN to find which part numbers are compatible.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 11-19-2023 at 04:44 PM..
Appreciate 1
      11-19-2023, 07:38 PM   #3
EuroCarFan
Captain
Rep

Thanks. I'm familiar with RealOEM but didn't use it to check this particular part.

That said, here's the ebay link to the part I'm looking at but the part number on there is only 7 digits and it didn't come up on the RealOEM search:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/13457718459...Bk9SR6L5y836Yg

Oh, I have a 2015 F85 X5M and the eBay posting is for a 2015 X5. It doesn't say if it's the F15 or F85...not sure if that matters.
Dinan CAI/Exhaust/Ignition Coils; BM3 Stage 1; xHP Stage 2; Sprint Booster; 22" Aristo Forged Sport 7 Split; KW V3s; 3D Rep Splitter/Side Skirts, Parsan Tuning Diffuser; Renegade Roof Spoiler; M Performance Kidney Grills/Fender Vents; iND Roundels/Trunk Emblem; CF Flat Bottom Steering Wheel; M Performance CF Steering Wheel Trim/Center Console/Shifter/Sport Pedals, Andream CarPlay; BlackVue DR750S Dash Cams
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2023, 09:28 PM   #4
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the additional info. Unfortunately the part number on this item doesn’t come up when doing a BMW part number search. But BMW does use the last 7 digits of the 11 digit part number on some components.

When you click on the part nbrs…you see that the f15 & f85 use the same part nbrs. As well as the f16 & f86.

The only other thing I can think of would be to check your software number to see if it matches yours. You can see it in the label provided by the ebay seller (1.18.3)…and this panel looks like it was MFG’d 12/20/2014…which would mean it was probably used on a 2015 model year X5/F85 built sometime in Dec/2014 or later.

BTW, all of my F chassis BMWs have the AM/FM button (none of them had BAND written on the button)…and they all have Satellite radio as well as AM/FM…and pressing the AM/FM button will also bring up Satellite.
Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2023, 09:59 PM   #5
EuroCarFan
Captain
Rep

Mine has the BAND button.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-20-2023, 08:50 AM   #6
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

I just did a quick search and I wonder if the BAND button is used when the dials/knobs are regular...and the AM/FM button is used when the vehicle has Ceramic dials/knobs? If not...then it may be a build date range thing...with the BAND button being used from around a 2015 build date upward.

The F chassis BMWs I've owned all have had ceramic dials/knobs, the eBay panel you linked to also has ceramic dials/knobs...but the pic you posted of your panel...doesn't have the ceramic dials...and my quick search on the cargurus.com website all had the BAND button...but none of them had ceramic dials.

If f85/f15 owners are reading this...chime in as to what type of dials you have (ceramic or regular) and if you have the BAND button or the AM/FM button.
Attached Images

Last edited by Qsilver7; 11-20-2023 at 09:10 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2023, 09:30 AM   #7
EuroCarFan
Captain
Rep

Here's an eBay listing of a non-ceramic control panel that has an FM/AM button:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/26616509587...Bk9SR8LdydX9Yg
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2023, 12:01 PM   #8
EuroCarFan
Captain
Rep

I should have noted that the reason I'm asking about this is because I want to get that panel on eBay with the ceramic knobs to "upgrade" the look of my cabin (I had previously gotten a ceramic iDrive knob). I couldn't find just replacement ceramic knobs even though there are sellers that sell replacement "regular" knobs so buying the whole panel seems like the only way to go.

So, aside for the mystery of the BAND vs FM/AM button, it seems from our discussion that it shouldn't matter how that button is labeled so I should be fine swapping in the eBay panel?

Last edited by EuroCarFan; 11-20-2023 at 11:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2023, 07:43 PM   #9
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

Well..that blows both my theories out of the water…ceramic vs regular dials and build date before or after 2015. I wonder why the two different button nomenclature (AM/FM or BAND?).

Appreciate 0
      11-21-2023, 12:00 AM   #10
EuroCarFan
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
Well..that blows both my theories out of the water…ceramic vs regular dials and build date before or after 2015. I wonder why the two different button nomenclature (AM/FM or BAND?).
LOL

Yeah, weird right? And I saw another button that has an antenna symbol and something else instead of BAND or FM/AM??

Maybe it's US vs Canada vs Europe?

Think I'll just get this panel with the FM/AM button and see if it works.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2023, 08:48 AM   #11
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroCarFan View Post
... I saw another button that has an antenna symbol and something else instead of BAND or FM/AM??

Maybe it's US vs Canada vs Europe?

Think I'll just get this panel with the FM/AM button and see if it works.
I think you're correct about the button with an antenna icon. From some dusty corner in the back of my Hippocampus...I believe that some European markets have a specific radio channel for some kind of road/traffic update.

EDIT: I knew if I stirred up enough dust... here's a link to a thread in 2021 on the G30 5 series forum that was discussing changing the panel...and this same topic about the button that changes BANDS, (AM/FM/Satellite), and the button with the antenna (Europe/UK traffic info) was being discussed...and answered. When Joe replaced his panel from BAND to the UK type with the antenna...the button functioned the same and just went through the AM/FM/Satellite selections: https://g30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1867835

Last edited by Qsilver7; 11-21-2023 at 09:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2023, 03:22 PM   #12
EuroCarFan
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
I think you're correct about the button with an antenna icon. From some dusty corner in the back of my Hippocampus...I believe that some European markets have a specific radio channel for some kind of road/traffic update.

EDIT: I knew if I stirred up enough dust... here's a link to a thread in 2021 on the G30 5 series forum that was discussing changing the panel...and this same topic about the button that changes BANDS, (AM/FM/Satellite), and the button with the antenna (Europe/UK traffic info) was being discussed...and answered. When Joe replaced his panel from BAND to the UK type with the antenna...the button functioned the same and just went through the AM/FM/Satellite selections: https://g30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1867835
Good stuff. I went ahead and bought that panel with the ceramic knobs on eBay. Thanks for the good dialogue and research! Happy Thanksgiving!
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2023, 06:29 PM   #13
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

….and a happy T’day to you, too.

Appreciate 0