BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-29-2023, 06:53 AM   #1
pass427
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW F01 and F85

Can some one check labor time on this job for me

So I took my car in due to a drivetrain malfunction and the tech indicated that it was oil control solenoid failure bank 2 and they will need to change both and he quoted me 6hrs, sounds like that's long for two solenoid but I ain't no tech so I figure I would ask. Car is a 2018
      11-29-2023, 04:09 PM   #2
CryptoHeff
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M

VANOS solenoid, right?

I can't vouch for hours as I don't know how long it would take, but I've looked into the procedures on ISTA and it is a heap of work for what in the end is a pretty simple replacement.

The issue is you need to remove quite a bit to get to them. The right hand side was about 30 pages of instructions/images factoring everything in. And the left side was even more from memory.

I had a similar malfunction recently and cleared the codes and it hasn't happened again since. Mine happened on a rough cold start.

I ended up buying four solenoids intending to eventually do all of them...
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2023, 06:35 AM   #3
lemonslap
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by CryptoHeff View Post
VANOS solenoid, right?

I can't vouch for hours as I don't know how long it would take, but I've looked into the procedures on ISTA and it is a heap of work for what in the end is a pretty simple replacement.

The issue is you need to remove quite a bit to get to them. The right hand side was about 30 pages of instructions/images factoring everything in. And the left side was even more from memory.

I had a similar malfunction recently and cleared the codes and it hasn't happened again since. Mine happened on a rough cold start.

I ended up buying four solenoids intending to eventually do all of them...
Same happened to me once on cold start, BMW assist came out and cleared the codes and it hasn’t happened since.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2023, 09:40 AM   #4
pass427
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW F01 and F85

Thanks guys - receipt states it took them 5hrs so i guess its all the other stuff they had to move to get to it - they replaced 2 solenoid valve part # 11-36-8-605-123.

The codes that were present were fault code 131601 Vanos Exhaust 2 not controllable and 120908 charging pressure control 2.

Warranty covered it, only had to pay the difference as I wanted oem parts as oppose to aftermarket.