munge
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40D

Garage List
2018 X5 F15 40D  [0.00]
First few weeks with my X5...

So had my brand new F15 40D M Sport for 2 1/2 weeks now and loving it all in all. Huge difference to my E90 (obviously!).

Surprised how much oomph it has for such a big car, though going round corners at speed you can feel the weight. Brakes surprisingly well too. Loving the ride position, great visibility, at first felt so different but getting used to it rapidly.

Like the iDrive, not sure if CarPlay will be worth it, need to go play with it at the dealer to see. Seems to integrate well with my phone and useful being able to send destinations to the car etc. Likewise turning on the blower before getting in. Not icy cold but better than would be otherwise.

HUD and polarised glasses frustrating.... but not a disaster as can see enough to get by.

With hindsight, I do miss the sports seats on the E90, were very comfortable, these are a little more “bench like” if that’s the right expression. And they had adjustable lumbar support. Were better seats an option? Surprised the M Sport package didn’t come with them as standard tbh.

Stop start always feels a little rattly, I worry in a few years of stop start if it’ll be shaking something loose. Sometimes find myself turning it off in traffic where I’m stopping a number of times over a short distance. Surely can’t be that good for the engine?

Not tried parking assist yet as not had chance. Maybe some trust issues.... Likewise the collision avoidance system. Does it actually brake or just flash the car picture on the screen and beep? If so is that not a little pointless? By the time your brain has registered the picture and the beep, you’ve already crashed, surely?

Traffic jam assist I’d probably have got with hindsight but that’s just greed!

And still need to get the hole in the door sorted......

Edit: delighted with the colour. Have yet to see similar and looks really, really smart
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2018, 07:52 AM   #2
X5M50D
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X7 M50d

Nice review munge
Pleased you like the car after such a long wait.
Few points
1. I have your frustration with the HUD and polarised Ray Bans but as you say it is bearable - wish the dealership mentioned this to me.
2. I got the Comfort Seats as I did try out the M Sports seats and these did seem to hold my bum in place probably more than the comfort seats
3. Stop Start I always switch off as it annoys the hell out of me
4. The Collision Avoidance System does brake the car in case of potential danger but does scare the shit out of me when applied as its so sudden and sharp. Well worth having as I have had a few close calls.
5. Traffic Jam Assist I'm getting use to when I remember to use it.
6. Hole in the door???
Still waiting for your pictures unless I have missed them?
      07-25-2018, 08:03 AM   #3
CatalinP
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15 2014 3.0xd

Stop Start can be coded to remember last state or default off.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2018, 08:08 AM   #4
x5mannn
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5 4.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by munge View Post
So had my brand new F15 40D M Sport for 2 1/2 weeks now and loving it all in all. Huge difference to my E90 (obviously!).

Surprised how much oomph it has for such a big car, though going round corners at speed you can feel the weight. Brakes surprisingly well too. Loving the ride position, great visibility, at first felt so different but getting used to it rapidly.

Like the iDrive, not sure if CarPlay will be worth it, need to go play with it at the dealer to see. Seems to integrate well with my phone and useful being able to send destinations to the car etc. Likewise turning on the blower before getting in. Not icy cold but better than would be otherwise.

HUD and polarised glasses frustrating.... but not a disaster as can see enough to get by.

With hindsight, I do miss the sports seats on the E90, were very comfortable, these are a little more "bench like" if that's the right expression. And they had adjustable lumbar support. Were better seats an option? Surprised the M Sport package didn't come with them as standard tbh.

Stop start always feels a little rattly, I worry in a few years of stop start if it'll be shaking something loose. Sometimes find myself turning it off in traffic where I'm stopping a number of times over a short distance. Surely can't be that good for the engine?

Not tried parking assist yet as not had chance. Maybe some trust issues.... Likewise the collision avoidance system. Does it actually brake or just flash the car picture on the screen and beep? If so is that not a little pointless? By the time your brain has registered the picture and the beep, you've already crashed, surely?

Traffic jam assist I'd probably have got with hindsight but that's just greed!

Edit: delighted with the colour. Have yet to see similar and looks really, really smart
Quote:

With hindsight, I do miss the sports seats on the E90, were very comfortable, these are a little more "bench like" if that's the right expression. And they had adjustable lumbar support. Were better seats an option? Surprised the M Sport package didn't come with them as standard tbh.

Stop start always feels a little rattly, I worry in a few years of stop start if it'll be shaking something loose. Sometimes find myself turning it off in traffic where I'm stopping a number of times over a short distance. Surely can't be that good for the engine?

Not tried parking assist yet as not had chance. Maybe some trust issues.... Likewise the collision avoidance system. Does it actually brake or just flash the car picture on the screen and beep? If so is that not a little pointless? By the time your brain has registered the picture and the beep, you've already crashed, surely?

Traffic jam assist I'd probably have got with hindsight but that's just greed!

Re the sunglasses, you can get non polarized sunglasses. I use prescription Raybans and I specified non polarized and they work great!
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2018, 08:22 AM   #5
CatalinP
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15 2014 3.0xd

It is clearly specified in the owner's manual that you have to use non polarised shades.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2018, 08:46 AM   #6
kenniff
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 M50i 22 model Arctic grey

Glad to hear you are liking the colour............. what colour is it?
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2018, 09:17 AM   #7
deutsch100
Colonel
Rep
Drives: i7 60, XM, M3 Comp, 911 GTS

With all cars I have had/have with HUD, I just wear NON-polarized glasses. It is NOT worth having HUD and wearing polarized lenses!

The collision warning system will chime, the dash will turn red and it WILL brake for you....but as stated, it is a shock and not smooth! LOL But, this is the point. Collision avoidance

Code to keep Start/Stop off?!?! Both my 2017 40e and 35d X5s....all I had to do was turn the Start/Stop off 1 time, and it remembered it and never came back on. 15 months in 2 X5s. No coding, just turned it off the day I took delivery and it not once came back on! I loathe Start/Stop. Awful!!! I have to turn it off every day in my new G63!
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2018, 09:41 AM   #8
tkelley86
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i

Quote:

With hindsight, I do miss the sports seats on the E90, were very comfortable, these are a little more “bench like” if that’s the right expression. And they had adjustable lumbar support. Were better seats an option? Surprised the M Sport package didn’t come with them as standard tbh.

Stop start always feels a little rattly, I worry in a few years of stop start if it’ll be shaking something loose. Sometimes find myself turning it off in traffic where I’m stopping a number of times over a short distance. Surely can’t be that good for the engine?

Not tried parking assist yet as not had chance. Maybe some trust issues.... Likewise the collision avoidance system. Does it actually brake or just flash the car picture on the screen and beep? If so is that not a little pointless? By the time your brain has registered the picture and the beep, you’ve already crashed, surely?

Traffic jam assist I’d probably have got with hindsight but that’s just greed!

As far as feeling the weight of the vehicle on turns, Eibach springs can help with this, makes the vehicle feel much more responsive when turning.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2018, 03:48 PM   #9
munge
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40D

Garage List
2018 X5 F15 40D  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by X5M50D View Post
Nice review munge
Pleased you like the car after such a long wait.
Few points
1. I have your frustration with the HUD and polarised Ray Bans but as you say it is bearable - wish the dealership mentioned this to me.
2. I got the Comfort Seats as I did try out the M Sports seats and these did seem to hold my bum in place probably more than the comfort seats
3. Stop Start I always switch off as it annoys the hell out of me
4. The Collision Avoidance System does brake the car in case of potential danger but does scare the shit out of me when applied as its so sudden and sharp. Well worth having as I have had a few close calls.
5. Traffic Jam Assist I'm getting use to when I remember to use it.
6. Hole in the door???
Still waiting for your pictures unless I have missed them?
Glacier silver, awesome colour!!!!

Think you haven’t missed the pictures....... work gets in the way.... lives need-a-saving!

HUD... hadn’t thought about it and yes I could get a pair of non-polarised, but happy with how much I can see! It’s not a disaster. Already had the glasses and hadn’t seen it in the manual, so clearly not that obvious, thank you CaitlinP! But a 70k car vs a £200 pair of glasses....

Seats.... next time.... but still happy!

And collision avoidance? Okay, so waiting for myself to do some crap driving 😂 But would struggle to trust it, I guess it’s a last resort thing and it knows braking distance better than you or me?

As far as the weight goes, I’m looking forward to getting the ability to drive it like I nicked it so I can really see what it does. Perhaps in a few months/a year I’ll stiffen the suspension.

And hole in the door from somebody using my door as a door opening guide..... to be fixed!
Appreciate 0