BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-15-2018, 03:07 PM   #1
Travis1807
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M

Upgraded Charge-Air-Coolers for the X5M

these new charge-air-coolers are out now for the M5/M6 and they will have a kit available very soon so they will fit the X5M/X6M. they're 28% bigger then the stock charge-air-coolers which should provide a significant amount of additional cooling that will translate into a decent horse power gain.

I was thinking about throwing a meth kit on for when i run race gas but i might get a set of these first. thoughts????
Attached Images

F85MTuNED1620.50
      03-15-2018, 03:19 PM   #2
onfireX5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F90M5,F85X5M

Truly depends on your goals. I've had multiple AtA and AtW Hx on my 427TT. One rule I have proven over and over and over....A larger Hx properly designed is always "nicer", but a HP increase is not always guaranteed with an inlet charge temp decrease. It's VERY complicated. I've also used Meth on 3 of my other TT builds. Definitely works, but the amount sprayed has to be figured, etc, etc.

If you are building a Max Effort X5M and will run 24-30psi, I'd do both.

If you're running 21-22psi, you'll spend $ and time for little to no gain.

Above is a very rough summary and guideline, but it will "ballpark" it for you.
Appreciate 2
ajob456.00
      03-15-2018, 04:25 PM   #3
Travis1807
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by onfireX5 View Post
Truly depends on your goals. I've had multiple AtA and AtW Hx on my 427TT. One rule I have proven over and over and over....A larger Hx properly designed is always "nicer", but a HP increase is not always guaranteed with an inlet charge temp decrease. It's VERY complicated. I've also used Meth on 3 of my other TT builds. Definitely works, but the amount sprayed has to be figured, etc, etc.

If you are building a Max Effort X5M and will run 24-30psi, I'd do both.

If you're running 21-22psi, you'll spend $ and time for little to no gain.

Above is a very rough summary and guideline, but it will "ballpark" it for you.
So i'm currently running a JB4 with downpipes (no cats), custom fabworkz exhaust, RK autoworkz intake and plan on getting a DME backend tune in the near future. i will ultimately daily drive it at 22psi but will have a map for the meth and race gas. I'm just trying to get the best bang for my buck. i haven't seen dyno charts on what kind of hp gains to expect from the larger coolers or a meth set up.

any suggestions would be appreciated.

you think i would see better gains from the meth then compared to the larger coolers??
      03-15-2018, 04:36 PM   #4
onfireX5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F90M5,F85X5M

Above is my rolling test bed. I’ve had 8 different turbo systems, 3 different ecms, 6 different Hx systems,etc etc on the car.

With what you currently have done, plus future plans to add an ECM tune.....I would add Meth and spend the money on the most sophisticated system you can find PLUS do it with the ECM tune to make sure the AF was perfect and the SOI , Rate, etc was perfect. I would also confirm everything on a load dyno with the tuner present to confirm the tune was working properly for your combo. I’d pass on the Hx upgrade for your goals.
Appreciate 2
      03-15-2018, 04:38 PM   #5
Travis1807
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by onfireX5 View Post

Above is my rolling test bed. I’ve had 8 different turbo systems, 3 different ecms, 6 different Hx systems,etc etc on the car.

With what you currently have done, plus future plans to add an ECM tune.....I would add Meth and spend the money on the most sophisticated system you can find PLUS do it with the ECM tune to make sure the AF was perfect and the SOI , Rate, etc was perfect. I would also confirm everything on a load dyno with the tuner present to confirm the tune was working properly for your combo. I’d pass on the Hx upgrade for your goals.
Thanks for the help!
      03-16-2018, 04:07 PM   #6
scotty91ss
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 19 M5, '15 X5M,'91Chev454ss

I have found that sometimes with larger intercoolers and piping your torque curve will change. You can get more power on the higher end, but you can lose the power on the lower end. At what part of the torque curve to you want results. Street or track.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2018, 05:26 PM   #7
Travis1807
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty91ss View Post
I have found that sometimes with larger intercoolers and piping your torque curve will change. You can get more power on the higher end, but you can lose the power on the lower end. At what part of the torque curve to you want results. Street or track.
I was hoping for across the entire RPM range hp gains but I’m guessing that would be more otainable from a meth kit.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2018, 08:24 AM   #8
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

I think you would run into the limitation of the transmission before you run into the need for additional cooling. The X5M has the best cooling system i've every experienced with any car. I could park leave the thing idling and the temps would start dropping on its own even in 95 degree temps.

Unless you plan on running this thing at the track I wouldn't think cooling would be necessary.
      03-20-2018, 03:14 PM   #9
Travis1807
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l. View Post
I think you would run into the limitation of the transmission before you run into the need for additional cooling. The X5M has the best cooling system i've every experienced with any car. I could park leave the thing idling and the temps would start dropping on its own even in 95 degree temps.

Unless you plan on running this thing at the track I wouldn't think cooling would be necessary.
Appreciate the input.
      03-20-2018, 11:24 PM   #10
BMWCali
Expect the Unusual
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X6M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l. View Post

If I recall, when I took a 2016 X6M up Angeles Crest Hwy and gave it the full plums, I was encountering a pretty decent power reduction (maybe 30% down on power) after about 20 minutes of track-like driving. It was definitely related to cooling because I coasted for 5 minutes, then full power was back. But get back on it for another 5 minutes and the power reduction came back. That said, the way I drive, I get overheating issues with everything. Mclaren, Bentley, Audi, Mercedes, Tesla you name it, I've overheated it with track-like driving. Literally the only make/car I've never been able to overheat was my stock Porsche 981. Ridiculous. The Pilot Super Sport tires would turn molten on that car before the oil temp ever went beyond a certain threshold.

Also, I remember one time hustling a 2015 Merc SLK 300 on Mulholland. 10 minutes on Mulholland and then got to a stoplight. As I'm sitting there, I notice a bunch of smoke around the car, but there's a big truck in front of me and I think it's the truck's exhaust. Nope. All 4 of the Merc's brakes were emitting heavy white smoke. LOL. I pulled over and it had to have been at least 3 or 4 minutes since the last hard braking and the rotors were still bright red. Surprised they didn't seize while I was stopped at the light for a minute. I knew they were hot though, so I was slowly inching forward trying not to keep the pads locked. But man, talk about insufficient brakes for that car.

Conversely, Porsche sure knows how to design brakes (or help Brembo with a proprietary formula). The steel brakes on my 981 never faded. Ever. And yet, I've gotten fade plenty of time with much bigger, much more expensive carbon ceramics.

Last edited by BMWCali; 03-20-2018 at 11:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2020, 04:54 PM   #11
F85MTuNED
IG: @88jae88
Rep
Drives: ///Ⓜ️

Hmmmm...
      11-21-2023, 06:15 PM   #12
marauder1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw F80 CZP, E92 M3

I know it's an old bump, I know the part numbers on the F90 and F10 Charge coolers are different than the F85's, but is there any reason why an F90 cooler wouldn't bolt up?
Appreciate 0