08-15-2022, 07:47 PM   #23
Panda6
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F86 X6M AND F15 X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djhumvee View Post
Do you feel like the header wrap has reduced temps?
Definitely by an extreme amount. That's where most of the heat comes from actually.
      08-15-2022, 07:50 PM   #24
Panda6
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophisticated Redneck View Post
Huge fan of custom work and this is awesome! What about doing another X5 world first and incorporating a killer chiller / interchiller system to keep those huge intercoolers nice and frosty? Check out this M5 below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdJpBt0tJAo
I'm definitely going to look into that. I really appreciate that video!
      08-16-2022, 01:22 AM   #25
Djhumvee
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda6 View Post
Definitely by an extreme amount. That's where most of the heat comes from actually.
Awesome im gonna do the same! I've been looking at cerakote ceramic coating I as thinking of maybe using their air cure ceramic coating in the v of the engine after the manifolds are removed..
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2022, 02:40 AM   #26
Chilled
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophisticated Redneck View Post
Huge fan of custom work and this is awesome! What about doing another X5 world first and incorporating a killer chiller / interchiller system to keep those huge intercoolers nice and frosty? Check out this M5 below:

Not seeing how they are doing it, I would guess they are using a peltier of sorts. This is/was used in rally cars. Not that complicated/expensive.

You should be able to get the water down to near low single digit °C.

Last edited by Chilled; 08-16-2022 at 02:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2022, 05:08 AM   #27
Chilled
Major
Australia
Rep

Just had a moment of realisation, if the water in the charge loops is still been used for the DMEs. How are the DME handling it? Electronics really don't like condensation/frosting.

By default the DME and the Charge coolers share the same loop.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2022, 07:53 AM   #28
Panda6
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilled View Post
Just had a moment of realisation, if the water in the charge loops is still been used for the DMEs. How are the DME handling it? Electronics really don't like condensation/frosting.

The DMV should be fine as they are designed to take a beating hot or cold. I just spoke with my buddy from BMW and he is lead tech and works on most of the M cars there and he said as long as the DME doesn't literally freeze up it should be fine.
      08-16-2022, 08:53 AM   #29
KLR X5M
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Not seeing how they are doing it, I would guess they are using a peltier of sorts. This is/was used in rally cars. Not that complicated/expensive.

You should be able to get the water down to near low single digit °C.
Its pretty simple in concept. I used them on my CLS55 and CTS-V. You "tee" the liquid and suction lines of the AC system, and run to a secondary Multiplate heat exchanger. this will refrigerate the core. Then you run the IC coolant loop through that. This cools the coolant down to below ambient temps. If designed correctly for efficiency, close to freezing temps. Basically you are making your own winter temps and DA. Highly recommended, and would be far better for making HP than the M5 coolers, and would be less work. Also note that in these setups, less piping and smaller core parts are better. in fact even removing the oem HX from the equation would make it more efficient and cooler.
Attached Images

Last edited by KLR X5M; 08-16-2022 at 08:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2022, 02:08 PM   #30
Panda6
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLR X5M View Post
Its pretty simple in concept. I used them on my CLS55 and CTS-V. You "tee" the liquid and suction lines of the AC system, and run to a secondary Multiplate heat exchanger. this will refrigerate the core. Then you run the IC coolant loop through that. This cools the coolant down to below ambient temps. If designed correctly for efficiency, close to freezing temps. Basically you are making your own winter temps and DA. Highly recommended, and would be far better for making HP than the M5 coolers, and would be less work. Also note that in these setups, less piping and smaller core parts are better. in fact even removing the oem HX from the equation would make it more efficient and cooler.
I'm sure it is better than using the M5 coolers alone that's why I'm doing both and meth injection.
      08-16-2022, 06:28 PM   #31
Chilled
Major
Australia
Rep

Quote:
The DMV should be fine as they are designed to take a beating hot or cold. I just spoke with my buddy from BMW and he is lead tech and works on most of the M cars there and he said as long as the DME doesn't literally freeze up it should be fine.
Its not the hot/cold that would be the issue but condensation. Looking at the frost on the side of the red cooler, looks like it goes below ambient. If the inside of the DME have any amount of air, the minute the metal housing goes below ambient. The inside of the DMEs will start to condensate, and flood the electrics.

Quote:

The way i understand that AC works is that toxic pixy farts go in, cold comes out. So am I understanding it correct that you want to tap of the cold gas and pass that through your own rad(chiller on diagram) unit. Then flow water through it, for the IC loop.

Why not take the chiller(on diagram) out and pipe the gass directly to the stock ICs. So instead of water in the ICs, its the gass. Saves on the thermal loss of cooling the water.

If you going to do this, I would prob use the Wagner or CSF ones and I would not trust the plastic endcaps.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-16-2022, 08:17 PM   #32
KLR X5M
First Lieutenant
Rep

The diagram is just the ac part. The chiller core has 4 ports. 2 for the Ac refrigerant forn high to low expansion, which is the action that produces the cooling effect. The other 2 are for in and out of the cooling loop. Basic its 2 sets of chambers. 1 in which refrigerant flows, and the other for liquid.

You cannot plumb the ac refrigerant to the ic cores directly. They only have 2 chamber, 1 for fluid in the tubes which in turn cools the innner fins and charge air. You would need a third for the refrigerant. Let alone addition complexity of running hoses lines x 2 etc

You cannot remove the fluid coolant and pump as the fluid will allow the ic to work as normal when ac is off, and chilled when running on demand. You wouldn't want to be driving with ac on 24x7.

These setups are proven on many platforms and are the best option for actually adding power to the l2a ic system. There is no need to upgrade the factory ic core unless you are flowing major air and finding cfm limits on the cores with something like this.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2022, 07:49 AM   #33
Surreal Innovations
Rep
Drives: 13 335i xdrive;14 Q5 TDI

Quote:
So in these systems when the refrigerant runs low or gets a corrosion leak etc. What fail safe or warnings are there to know if it's working properly? It seems it's just T'd into the AC compressor with a easy to mount 2nd mini HX or mini condenser, however it would be referred to.
I was just ironically talking to a friend of mine ab this, AC for intercooling but we hadnt gotten this far lol
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2022, 02:12 PM   #34
KLR X5M
First Lieutenant
Rep

It's just t'ed into the factory lines. During installation you'll have to evacuate, recover and recharge the system like you would during any ac service.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2022, 12:21 AM   #35
Chilled
Major
Australia
Rep

Quote:
You cannot remove the fluid coolant and pump as the fluid will allow the ic to work as normal when ac is off, and chilled when running on demand. You wouldn't want to be driving with ac on 24x7.
Tropics, if the car is on. The AC is on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surreal Innovations View Post
So in these systems when the refrigerant runs low or gets a corrosion leak etc. What fail safe or warnings are there to know if it's working properly? It seems it's just T'd into the AC compressor with a easy to mount 2nd mini HX or mini condenser, however it would be referred to.
I was just ironically talking to a friend of mine ab this, AC for intercooling but we hadnt gotten this far lol
I would argue, does it matter? If its just cooling the charge coolers and not the DME's than all you get is worse performance. Plus you would kind of notice because your AC doesn't work anymore.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2022, 07:44 PM   #36
Panda6
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Did a little research as well as looking at my own DMEs and the X6M/X5M DMEs aren't water cooled at all. They have the ports for the coolant lines because they use the same model DMEs as the M5 M6, but since they don't sit right above the turbos like in the M5 and M6 they are not water cooled because it isn't needed since they are very far away from the engine inside of complete enclosure on the firewall up against the passenger side fender.
      08-31-2022, 10:00 PM   #37
dentprotony@gmail.com
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 f85

Quote:
Did a little research as well as looking at my own DMEs and the X6M/X5M DMEs aren't water cooled at all. They have the ports for the coolant lines because they use the same model DMEs as the M5 M6, but since they don't sit right above the turbos like in the M5 and M6 they are not water cooled because it isn't needed since they are very far away from the engine inside of complete enclosure on the firewall up against the passenger side fender.
Correct, theres coolant line provisions attached to the ecus but no coolant running through them. I wonder if that changes things to making interchiller install a bit easier
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2022, 04:16 AM   #38
Chilled
Major
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Cheers.

I was having this exact conversation with Qsilver7 if the F85/F86 DMEs were still cooled. The doco on these says no, but it looked like the DME shells had coolant line placements.

I didn't check mine to see if there are any actual lines going to them tho.

I guess now we know.

https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...7&postcount=12
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2022, 04:03 PM   #39
Cbozz
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Garage List
Quote:
Cheers.

I was having this exact conversation with Qsilver7 if the F85/F86 DMEs were still cooled. The doco on these says no, but it looked like the DME shells had coolant line placements.

I didn't check mine to see if there are any actual lines going to them tho.

I guess now we know.

https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...7&postcount=12
I actually unplugged my ECUs when I was plugging in the Dinan tune and I can 100% attest there is no cooling of any kind hooked up to those… they are out of site of the engine heat and no cooling gets there…
      11-21-2023, 06:23 PM   #40
marauder1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw F80 CZP, E92 M3

Looks like you did this with an F10 cooler? Has anyone tried using one of the aftermarket coolers for the F90? Like Project Gamma's 2 piece system? Looking for something a bit more DIY Friendly.
https://trucranemotorsports.com/prod...0&_ss=e&_v=1.0
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2023, 08:41 PM   #41
Chilled
Major
Australia
Rep

From arm-chair research the F90 coolers are a way better fit on these because these have the correct flange to bolt to the plastic plenums.

According to Level (these guys have the fastest F90 in the world), they said the best coolers they found where the stock ones.

*Edit*
Here is the interview where the go into some details on the F90 CS, and mention the ICs. Timestamp 13.24.
Yes it is in Russian, for most part translate does work.

I don't necessarily agree with his view/idea that the clutch packs on a gearbox are a wear items like brakes pads. He says they will need to replace them all by about 30k-40k km, but then again they are close to 1300-1400hp and constantly launching it. So my opinion counts for d*ck.

Last edited by Chilled; 11-22-2023 at 03:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2023, 05:14 PM   #42
Panda6
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I just finished swapping to the F90 coolers. The flange isn't the same as the F90 uses a three bolt throttle body and we use a 4 bolt throttle body. But the coupler is the exact same that slips over the throttle body. So no need to worry about flanges. The only thing that would stop you from direct swapping the F90 cooler is the upper radiator hose on the driver side needs a 90° inlet fitting and a 90° 1.5" silicone hose to replace the factory hose. Also, the fan support needs to be trimmed a little on both sides. That F90 runs a 8.5 second full interior quarter mile pass. I'm sure the clutches won't last very long launching with what I believe is 1200 ft lb to the wheels.
      11-28-2023, 11:48 PM   #43
Chilled
Major
Australia
Rep

Watched the vid, nice explanations man. On the Trans coolers, you sure its not going to drop the temps too far down?

BTW, since you already spent money on the F90 coolers. Let me help your wallet. Level put out their own end tanked OEMs.

https://1evel.ru/product/level-perfo...m5-f90-s63-cr/
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2023, 09:02 AM   #44
Panda6
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Watched the vid, nice explanations man. On the Trans coolers, you sure its not going to drop the temps too far down?

https://youtu.be/ynWkVZenlAU

BTW, since you already spent money on the F90 coolers. Let me help your wallet. Level put out their own end tanked OEMs.

https://1evel.ru/product/level-perfo...m5-f90-s63-cr/
Thanks for your consistent support of the channel! I've been following level performance and MAN performance very closely for a long time and even reached out to buy set of turbo headers, but you need a certain turbo/exhaust flange to use them. Their car also uses a custom intake manifold with port injection, a world's first for the S63 engine. The temps won't be too cool at all because I have everything temperature control the way I needed to be for optimum performance. The stage two pure drivetrain solutions transmission heats up way faster and quicker than the stock trans because of the extremely aggressive friction plates and steels. I have a inline thermostat from improved racing to open that 165° and flow to the cooler. Then the fan is controlled to turn on at 180° and cool down until 170° (stock system thermostats open at 220°) that will keep my trans temps in the range that pure drivetrain recommends not ZF since it's no longer a ZF transmission and almost nothing in the transmission is stock besides the outer casing. Everything is billet aluminum or a billet super alloy including all baskets, hubs and input shaft as well as the torque converter.