BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-15-2024, 04:11 AM   #1
AG1
Registered
Rep
Drives: X5 e40

Question X5 e40 range in e-drive sharply reduced suddenly

Hello
I do a lot of short journeys and so rely on Max edrive mode most of the time. Until last summer my 2017 e40 was giving me pretty close to the max 30km when driven in a sensible manner. However, my home charging cable stopped working and I purchased a 3rd party cable from EV Delta (who supply cables for most EVs). While my new cable works fine, my Max range has dropped to only 18-19km. When plugged in, the car only charges to the max capacity of only 18 or 19 displayed on the dashboard and that is exactly the range I am achieving. Unfortunately I am outside the 6 year battery warranty offered in the UK.

The car software hasn't been updated. Could updating the software revert the range back to the original or could this be due to the cable. I would appreciate any ideas as the sharp drop in range doesn't seem to be from battery degradation which I would expect to be more gradual. Also when the battery weakens over time

Thanks

Last edited by AG1; 03-15-2024 at 04:30 AM.. Reason: Forgot important detail
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2024, 08:57 PM   #2
david_594
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X5 40e

It won't be the charging cable.

How long have you had the vehicle? The winter is always worse for range.

You should try to get the BimmerFlow beta as it will give you battery capacity information.

Do a Google search for it. It's popular in the I4 community and also works great on my F15 40e. It works fine for pulling data from the F15.
Appreciate 0