02-08-2018, 03:28 AM   #1
AKRAPOVICOWNS
Captain
Rep
Drives: bmw 335i

BMW M Rumored To Unveil New Concept In Geneva

https://www.motor1.com/news/229810/b...-geneva-debut/

Quote:
It seems there is another reason to get excited about the forthcoming 2018 Geneva Motor Show as latest intel suggests BMW's M division responsible for performance cars will be there to introduce a new and mysterious concept. The identity of the model is not known at this point, but before you get your hopes up too high, it's not going to be a supercar.

It is believed the showcar in question is going to be based on the same platform underpinning the reborn 8 Series. Our friends at BMWBlog are confident it won't be the highly anticipated M8 Convertible, nor will it be an M8 Gran Coupe. With BMW already teasing the M8 Coupe, it seems unlikely the speedy coupe will be shown in concept form, especially since the company has already confirmed it will introduce the road-going model in 2018.

With so many models being ruled out, what else is left? Well, the same source hints it will be close to an M8, which leads us to believe BMW will introduce something along the lines of an M860i rocking a 6.6-liter V12 under the hood. In other words, Geneva could be the venue where the Bavarians will preview the hottest 8 Series Coupe that will slot right underneath the fully fledged M model.

The good news is we won't have to wait much longer to find out the identity of the BMW concept since the 88th Geneva Motor Show will open its doors to the press in March 6. Bear in mind the company has already teased the production-ready 8 Series Coupe, so we might get to see it on the floor of the Swiss auto show sitting next to the new concept. Fingers crossed.
Any ideas? Unveil the concept for a M860i doesn't make too much sense either, since we already have the 8er concept, so I can't imagine anything related to the 8er. Also implied that the M division would present something, so I really don't know what could that be.

Last edited by mkoesel; 02-08-2018 at 09:10 AM.. Reason: Added article link, quote tags
Appreciate 1
3GFX722.50
      02-08-2018, 09:08 AM   #2
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKRAPOVICOWNS View Post
Any ideas?
If it is indeed the case that this concept will sit on the 8 Series platform (rather than simply the more generic CLAR matrix), that certainly limits possibilities.

My guess would be a PHEV model that either combines an I6 and electric motor or a V8 and electric motor. It seems to me that the timing is right for M Performance products to begin to incorporate some type of hybrid drive. And we know BMW has been testing high performance hybrid setups for years. In other words, a concept that previews a future "M850e" or "M860e".

I strongly doubt a new V12 model. The 850i has become the M850i which to me is a pretty firm signal that there will be no M860i. Furthermore, Audi and Mercedes have already said that they are planning to phase out their V12 engines in favor of hybrid V8 setups.

The other possibility is a styling exercise that would preview the 8 Series production vehicle. Perhaps some along the lines of last years Z4 concept. Or for that matter it could combine that with the drivetrain I describe above, killing two birds with one stone.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2018, 09:15 AM   #3
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

I should add that a "Concept M8" does not seem out the question either. BMW M has presented concepts of near-future M products in the past. With the 8 Series not coming until sometime this year, I suspect the production M8 will not be shown until 2019. This allows plenty of time for a concept to show this year. Although I think it would be somewhat unprecedented to see a concept M8 before the 8 Series itself has been revealed.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2018, 09:33 AM   #4
3GFX
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2003 BMW Z4 3.0i

Z4M

Z4 Coupe?

Maybe and hopefully?
Appreciate 1
ried791.50
      02-08-2018, 09:44 AM   #5
AKRAPOVICOWNS
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3GFX View Post
Z4M

Z4 Coupe?

Maybe and hopefully?
Dream on..while we are at it, Z8 successor design study please.
Appreciate 1
3GFX722.50
      02-08-2018, 10:34 AM   #6
uniqueMR
Colonel
Rep
Drives: ...

Maybe a M model in order to compete Mercedes-AMG GT
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2018, 04:20 PM   #7
yousefnjr
salty cowboys fan
Rep
Drives: ‘06 Z4MR, ‘20 X7, ‘22 M4x

10 bucks it’s some kind of SUV
Appreciate 5
      02-08-2018, 04:21 PM   #8
ItsGary
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniqueMR View Post
Maybe a M model in order to compete Mercedes-AMG GT
One can only wish.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2018, 04:56 PM   #9
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Concept X8.
      02-08-2018, 06:30 PM   #10
advantage20
Major
France
Rep
Drives: 330d

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
I strongly doubt a new V12 model. The 850i has become the M850i which to me is a pretty firm signal that there will be no M860i. Furthermore, Audi and Mercedes have already said that they are planning to phase out their V12 engines in favor of hybrid V8 setup.
The latest photo/video teaser for the production 8 Series features a V8-powered (engine sound) red/orange model which obviosly isn't the M8 according to the exterior details (rims, exhaust tips...) and production schedule. It doesn't seem to be an M Performance M850i either but rather a regular M Sport 850i, given the regular M Sport rims and especially the body color instead of Cerium Gray side mirrors. The recently leaked pictures also were showing a pre-production white M Sport 850i instead of an M850i, though that's more of a converging clue than actual evidence at this point.

Last edited by advantage20; 02-09-2018 at 03:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2018, 06:30 PM   #11
M4_GTS
Lieutenant Colonel
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS

X3M
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2018, 06:35 PM   #12
ItsGary
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4_GTS View Post
X3M
I was gonna post that but I didn’t know if they unveiled it yet
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2018, 06:49 PM   #13
48Laws
Banned
Rep
Drives: '15 F80, '18 991.2 GTS

M7
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2018, 07:41 PM   #14
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
Concept X8.
From M Division? And on the 8 Series underpinnings? But perhaps the intel from the original source is inaccurate.

At any rate an X8 would make for interesting debate. Would such a vehicle supplant the X6 as the 8 Series essentially does the 6 Series? It would seem like a good bet.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2018, 06:35 AM   #15
advantage20
Major
France
Rep

Quote:
From M Division? And on the 8 Series underpinnings? But perhaps the intel from the original source is inaccurate.

At any rate an X8 would make for interesting debate. Would such a vehicle supplant the X6 as the 8 Series essentially does the 6 Series? It would seem like a good bet.
As I see it, the X3/X4 and X5/X6 (and more recently X1/X2) pairs are here to stay, as they cover the C, D and E segments with a complementary offer that fulfills most needs. In other words, most buyers shopping for an SUV will certainly find a model to their taste within this lineup depending on their criteria (practical or stylish, large or compact) and budget, and conversely most of these models will sell well thanks to the current global SUV frenzy (although the X2 will certainly face harsh competition from the new Evoque).

Therefore I'm pretty sure the X8 will not replace the X6 but complete it, replicating its formula on the upper F segment as a coupé version of the X7, and again I'm not worried it will sell. The outgoing 6er Coupé on the other hand is exiting the declining 2 door E segment (with pretty much its only competitor being the E Class Coupé), and while Mercedes can rely on its image and luxury coupé heritage to keep selling both an E Coupé and an S Coupé, it seems as though BMW aren't confident they can follow that, and in order to maintain a large 2 door coupé offering, they had to keep the sporty philosophy and size of the 6er while glazing it over with the freshly exhumed upmarket image, prestige and nameplate of the 8er, and marketing it exactly as this high luxury + high sportiness mix that is distantly aiming at Aston Martin territory ('The Gentlemen's Racer'). Or maybe it was a deliberate choice to just mix the best of both worlds into one model.

I'm pretty sure Scott was joking about an X8 Concept for Geneva though, as the production X7 still has to be revealed and settle in first

Last edited by advantage20; 02-11-2018 at 03:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2018, 08:23 AM   #16
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

^^^ Fair points. The peculiar thing about the next X6 though - where is it? With the F16 set to end production in just 18 months, it is somewhat unprecedented to not have seen even one spy shot of the replacement at this stage. You'd at least agree this is a bit suspicious, no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by advantage20 View Post
I'm pretty sure Scott was joking about an X8 Concept for Geneva though, as the production X7 still has to be revealed and settle in first
Quite possibly he was. However, I don't necessarily see an issue revealing an X8 concept before the production X7 is revealed. If an X8 is indeed on the horizon, now would be as good a time as any to start the buzz about it.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2018, 09:50 AM   #17
AKRAPOVICOWNS
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by advantage20 View Post
Quote:

As I see it, the X3/X4 and X5/X6 (and more recently X1/X2) pairs are here to stay, as they cover the C, D and E segments with a complementary offer that fulfills most needs. In other words, most buyers shopping for an SUV will certainly find a model to their taste within this lineup depending on their criteria (practical or stylish, large or compact) and budget, and conversely most of these models will sell well thanks to the current global SUV frenzy (even if the X2 will certainly face harsh competition from the new Evoque).

Therefore I'm pretty sure the X8 will not replace the X6 but complete it, replicating its formula on the upper F segment as a coupé version of the X7, and again I'm not worried it will sell. The outgoing 6er Coupé on the other hand is exiting the declining 2 door E segment (with pretty much its only competitor being the E Class Coupé), and while Mercedes can rely on its image and luxury coupé heritage to keep selling both an E Coupé and an S Coupé, it seems as though BMW aren't confident they can follow that, and in order to maintain a large 2 door coupé offer, they had to keep the sporty philosophy and size of the 6er while glazing it over with the freshly exhumed upmarket image, prestige and nameplate of the 8er, and marketing it exactly as this high luxury + high sportiness mix that is distantly aiming at Aston Martin territory ('The Gentlemen's Racer'). Or maybe it was a deliberate choice to just mix the best of both worlds in one model.

Would make sense to be a 8er GC, 9er, whatever it'll be called. I don't think they'd bother presenting a M8 cabrio.

I agree on the X model line up. They wanna fill every gap, and I'm sure the X6 and X8 will co-exist.

What I'm worried about the 8er is it's price point. As far as rumors go, it will probably slot somewhere near the new continental GT and AM Vantage. It won't be as sporty or light as the AM, and won't be as luxurious as the CGT. It will be in between the two, as far as competence goes. Problem is, I don't see BMW competing with either..the 6er was a expensive car, yes, but it performed on par and even exceeded more expensive cars like the ones I cited. Now, they will increase the price point to compete directly with them, and what the 8er will bring to the table to compete with them, if not being less expensive?

IMHO BMW doesn't have the badge to ask the same price as those cars. They are bespoke, from design to reality with one purpose. The 8 brings its drive train from an M5 ffs. IF it was as special as the concept, and with bespoke engine etc, light weight, I could see it being somehow "competitive". But just a number really isn't that compelling. They should've kept it as a 6er. There's nothing new, groundbreaking, or outstanding about the 8er that suddenly makes it worthy of the supposed price tag it'll carry.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2018, 10:16 AM   #18
advantage20
Major
France
Rep

Quote:
^^^ Fair points. The peculiar thing about the next X6 though - where is it? With the F16 set to end production in just 18 months, it is somewhat unprecedented to not have seen even one spy shot of the replacement at this stage. You'd at least agree this is a bit suspicious, no?
I mean, given the current market trend, BMW does seem to have a solid business case for adding a more stylish sibling to the boxy and practical X7, yet retaining the latter's level of comfort and luxury so as to undoubtedly set it apart above the X6, which would keep battling against the GLE Coupé and forthcoming Q8.
Replacing the X6 with a more upmarket and expensive X8 would, I think, certainly bring new customers but would also turn away current/potential X6/GLE Coupé/Q8 segment customers, so it would probably end up being a zero-sum game instead of keeping current customers + adding new ones. If I'm not wrong, the X6 has been exceeding its sales goals and buyers are certainly expecting it to retain its X5 coupé formula.

As regards the lack of spyshots, perhaps the X5 prototypes have already been testing pretty much every underpinning and the X6 will only be tested briefly, already in final stages of camouflage? It is true though that the size difference between X6 and X8 would be quite minimal if we make an assumption based upon the X7 Concept, which turned out to be surprisingly short (5.02m) compared to its main rivals GLS and QX80 and compared to the current X5 (4.89m). Let's hope they manage to keep the X6 and add in the X8 as indeed a coupé version of an SUV version of the 7 Series There surely is room for an X8 at least dimension-wise, given the growing number of 5 meter+ sport/luxury SUV market offerings (Levante, Urus unashamedly almost as long as the Bentayga...).

Last edited by advantage20; 02-09-2018 at 10:26 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2018, 12:42 AM   #19
ItsGary
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3GFX View Post
Z4M

Z4 Coupe?

Maybe and hopefully?
this actually makes sense now, considering Toyota is doing the "Supra" reveal at the Geneva show
      02-19-2018, 02:56 PM   #20
mjn77
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 LCI Jerez Black

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
I hope nobody is going for a look on the 6th March? As the Geneva Motorshow doesn't start until the 8th March!

Anyway, i'll be there and i'll have a good look
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2018, 07:09 AM   #21
BMW M3 CRT
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

The Great Surprise for Geneva should be the M8 GC Concept!
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2018, 08:41 AM   #22
3GFX
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2003 BMW Z4 3.0i

The real rumour....

https://www.motor1.com/news/233810/b...-geneva-debut/

Appreciate 0