Mitaka
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 650i GC xDrive M Package

Reliability Question

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Currently I drive a 650 XDrive Grand Coupe. I am considering buying it after the lease although I am also looking at pretty good deal X5M with some demo miles. Not sure how the German Built quality of the 650 compares to the SC assembly. Also which one is the more reliable engine speakin long term regular 650 V8 vs the M V8?
      02-20-2017, 09:17 PM   #2
VGM6
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: F86 X6M & E63 M6

From what my shop has told me regarding the S63tu motor (X6M, X5M, M5 and M6) compared to the N63 motor which is what you are running, the S63's are of much better quality in regards to longevity. Also much better over the previous generation S63 (E70, E71 X6M/X5M). They also stated that the previous generation S63 is very similar to the N63 and they have seen many issues with both motors.

The shop I work with has a fully built F80 M3 with Pure stage 2's a Porsche GT3, R8 GT Twin Turbo and a modified ML63. Based on this convo the shop owner is looking to sell his ML63 and upgrade to a new X5M as a daily during the winter months due to his findings over working on all of the previous S63, N63 and new S63tu. I haven't confirmed from others that this is true however, I do feel more comfortable knowing that a shop who has worked on many of these motors would be saying this.

I do plan on purchasing my car after the lease is done and continuing to modify the X6M to its max. Possibly even with the Pure Stage 2's eventually after seeing how well the motors can last with that much more power. Also a family member of mine has the 650 GC XDrive and its a great car to drive but even with the extra height my X6M has it drives a lot better and keeps the itch of wanting to drive a smaller car at bay until I can pull out the E63 M6 during the spring.

Goodluck I hope this helps and hope others can chime in with similar results.