mclachlan4321
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMWx3

X5 bike rack

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Hi,

I don't have the tow bar fitted as an option but now am looking at bike racks.

the only BMW branded one goes onto the roof, which I don't really want.

Has anybody found a suitable solution to this problem?

thank you.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2014, 10:49 AM   #2
Overtaxed
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: RR Diesel, F450

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclachlan4321 View Post
Hi,

I don't have the tow bar fitted as an option but now am looking at bike racks.

the only BMW branded one goes onto the roof, which I don't really want.

Has anybody found a suitable solution to this problem?

thank you.
Execuhitch. About 800 bucks installed with no lighting (just a 2" receiver). Looks great, works great for hauling bikes (which is what I use it for). The price is ridiculous, but, it's cheaper than the BMW option and better looking, so, if that's what you want to do, that's probably one of the best recommendations. I think there are other (reasonably priced) options if you don't have the M package. A tow bar should be about 100 bucks or so, another 100 bucks or so to install. The BMW one is totally out in left field for how much it costs...
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2014, 01:39 PM   #3
Propofoln
Speedster
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X7 M60i

Does the tow hook bike rack I have for my 2012 X5 diesel work for my new 2015 X5 diesel m-sport i have ordered?
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2014, 05:02 PM   #4
NPickles
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F15 40D SE Space Grey/Terra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overtaxed View Post
Execuhitch. About 800 bucks installed with no lighting (just a 2" receiver). Looks great, works great for hauling bikes (which is what I use it for). The price is ridiculous, but, it's cheaper than the BMW option and better looking, so, if that's what you want to do, that's probably one of the best recommendations. I think there are other (reasonably priced) options if you don't have the M package. A tow bar should be about 100 bucks or so, another 100 bucks or so to install. The BMW one is totally out in left field for how much it costs...
But have you seen the full electric tow hitch in operation, so cool. Press a button and it appears from nowhere and when finished press the button again for it to disappear with zero effort. On my previous Lexus RX450h I paid about £1,450 for a removable towbar, totally manual. For about £1,000 I got a really cool fully electric retractable towbar on my F15, I'm happy.

Problem is that as far as I am aware you can't get a factory fit towbar for the F15 in the US car you?
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 05:12 AM   #5
Overtaxed
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: RR Diesel, F450

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPickles View Post
But have you seen the full electric tow hitch in operation, so cool. Press a button and it appears from nowhere and when finished press the button again for it to disappear with zero effort. On my previous Lexus RX450h I paid about £1,450 for a removable towbar, totally manual. For about £1,000 I got a really cool fully electric retractable towbar on my F15, I'm happy.

Problem is that as far as I am aware you can't get a factory fit towbar for the F15 in the US car you?
There is a BMW towbar available. However, as I understand it, no, you cannot get it from the factory that way, it's a dealer installed option. And it's expensive, dealer told me 1.5-2K.

Holy smokes! The towbar (not removable) for my Lexus 350 4 years ago was 150 dollars (US). Took me about an hour or so to put it on.

These prices are just insane. This is the kind of stuff that makes most people just shake their heads when others talk about BMW. 1500 dollars for a factory fit tow setup? My friends would fall out of their chair if they heard that number. Most cars are <200 dollars to outfit with a receiver setup after the fact. And, for those that do have expensive factory options, those hitches aren't like the BMW factory hitch. They are typically class 4 hitches with load leveling/brake controllers/upgraded engine cooling/etc.

Just as an order of comparison, I picked an American car (Dodge Durango) that's roughly the same size as the X5:

From the factory ($995)
7 and 4 Pin Wiring Harness
Class IV Receiver Hitch
Full Size Spare Tire
Heavy Duty Engine Cooling
Rear Load Leveling Suspension
Steel Spare Wheel

Aftermarket ($141.36)
Class 3 Curt hitch

BMW pricing on this is just totally out of line. It's a hunk of steel. I don't for one minute believe that their steel in their trailer hitch is any better than Dodge's or Curt's. So, basically, what prices like this tell me is that BMW is taking a hunk of steel that costs them ~100 bucks and marking it up 10X to sell to the customer..

Figure the cost of an Excuhitch (7-800 installed) or factory hitch (1500 installed) when you look at the M package on the X5. If you don't have the M package, you can get a "normal priced" hitch for ~220 bucks (Draw-Tite), but you'll need to trim back the fascia and it's not an easy installation.

This is one of those things that, in the 70K+ range, should just come stock on the truck (especially the diesel). Oh, and to add just a bit more insult, for those of us leasing, you can only residualize 300 bucks of the factory hitch (at least that's what BMWFS told me). That's a real kick in the shin, charge me 5-10X over what it should cost, and then make me eat the entire cost of something that obviously adds value to the car over the first 36 months?

Ok, I'm done ranting. The Execuhitch is a great product, it's just expensive. I have it, and, if I had to do it again, that's what I would do (rather than the BMW option).
Appreciate 0