BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-06-2023, 08:14 AM   #1
oscar1992124
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 xDrive 40i 2023

New to Canada with questions of coating

Hi all,

I just moved to Canada with my family and we have ordered an 2023 X5 xDrive 40i, it is our first time facing a freezing winter and snowing country, can you please share some advice if coating should be done to the new car and is it better to have it in a snowing climate or not? Thanks a lot!
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2023, 09:28 AM   #2
Amsterdave
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5d-MS & 2018 BMW X3 30i

As someone who has lived in Toronto for almost a decade, I hate to break it to you, but you're fighting a losing battle no matter what you try there.

The road conditions are horrible, third world quality, full of potholes and uneven manhole covers. The excessive salt for 6 months of the year will eat your car up at a pace you've never seen before. Best you can do is regular car washes with underbody sprays, and in the spring (which doesn't start till May) deal with the paint swirls with a good polish/paint correction. Then starting the next October/November, rinse and repeat. You'll still likely need new suspension bushings, control arms and/or rear air bags at a mileage lower than you can ever imagine. My F15 needed all of the above at 80,000kms. My previous Range Rover started rusting in multiple areas after its third winter. The X5 is a bit better in the sense that some of its body panels are plastic and can't rust.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2023, 09:46 AM   #3
ArthurMorgan
Right to Repair Enthusiast
Rep
Drives: '17 X5 M

Get the car Krowned. Ultimately, you will never fully prevent rust from taking hold, but Krown yearly will go way, way above and beyond just washing the underbody.

FYI - you're in the wrong section, this is the F15 X5 section covering 2014-2018 models. You want the G05 section here - https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2023, 11:07 AM   #4
oscar1992124
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amsterdave View Post
As someone who has lived in Toronto for almost a decade, I hate to break it to you, but you're fighting a losing battle no matter what you try there.

The road conditions are horrible, third world quality, full of potholes and uneven manhole covers. The excessive salt for 6 months of the year will eat your car up at a pace you've never seen before. Best you can do is regular car washes with underbody sprays, and in the spring (which doesn't start till May) deal with the paint swirls with a good polish/paint correction. Then starting the next October/November, rinse and repeat. You'll still likely need new suspension bushings, control arms and/or rear air bags at a mileage lower than you can ever imagine. My F15 needed all of the above at 80,000kms. My previous Range Rover started rusting in multiple areas after its third winter. The X5 is a bit better in the sense that some of its body panels are plastic and can't rust.
god... sad but true, we just purchased one with cash as we cannot do finance or lease based on our identities... Lease has always been a new concept to us and I guess the weather is why people tend to lease to get a new car every several years...

Thanks for sharing and happy (yet sad )to know all these info! Will try to lease in the future tho
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2023, 11:08 AM   #5
oscar1992124
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthurMorgan View Post
Get the car Krowned. Ultimately, you will never fully prevent rust from taking hold, but Krown yearly will go way, way above and beyond just washing the underbody.

FYI - you're in the wrong section, this is the F15 X5 section covering 2014-2018 models. You want the G05 section here - https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/
oh god, sorry bro and thanks for the information, i will move to the correct section. Yes i heard about Krowned too and will definitely give a try Thanks!!!
Appreciate 0