BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

06-13-2014, 06:00 PM   #1
Shorty Shorty
Private
Rep
Drives: x5 e70 soon to be F15

Poor paint finish....

Have any of you guys noticed that the paint finish on your new F15 to be rather poor, certainly not perfect?

I've noticed quite a few dimples where dust has either been caught in the paint or lacquering process. Also the paint appears to be pretty thin, I've picked up a couple of tiny scratches/chips and they have gone straight to the metal or an orangey undercoat way too easily for my liking.

Going to pop into the dealer next week and have a moan, not what you expect for a £65k wagon!

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2014, 06:07 PM   #2
NPickles
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F15 40D SE Space Grey/Terra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty Shorty View Post
Have any of you guys noticed that the paint finish on your new F15 to be rather poor, certainly not perfect?

I've noticed quite a few dimples where dust has either been caught in the paint or lacquering process. Also the paint appears to be pretty thin, I've picked up a couple of tiny scratches/chips and they have gone straight to the metal or an orangey undercoat way too easily for my liking.

Going to pop into the dealer next week and have a moan, not what you expect for a £65k wagon!

Cheers
That certainly doesn't sound great, though I notice that most cars now regardless of price seem to have orange peely paintwork. Probably something to do with all this eco water based paint.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2014, 08:46 PM   #3
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

Can you upload pics? I'd like to know more. Thanks and sorry you have this issue with your new X5, buddy .
      06-13-2014, 10:22 PM   #4
mikikuki7
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Searching for X6M or M8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty Shorty

Going to pop into the dealer next week and have a moan, not what you expect for a 65k wagon!

Cheers
It's happening to mine too... I hate it, but BMW won't do anything about it. I can see the metal. Sucks! I feel the paint is cheap!
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2014, 10:25 PM   #5
wdimagineer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 M

My most recent 4 BMWs have all had that orange peel texture. They switched to environmentally friendly paint and this is the result.

Sorry to hear you guys are having issues.
      06-13-2014, 10:41 PM   #6
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

I'm thinking that ceramic 9H or opticoat pro is really looking good right about now.
      06-13-2014, 11:17 PM   #7
Jenya B
Lieutenant
Russia
Rep
Drives: Z4 , X5 F15d Msport

ill promise to post pictures of my door
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2014, 02:45 AM   #8
Shorty Shorty
Private
Rep

I can live with the orange peel look, it appears it's just a sign of these environmental times so have to accept it I suppose. What I can't live with is imperfection or mistakes. I'll take some photos and put them up ASAP.

The interesting/worrying thing about the chip is it looks more like the paint has come off as a little flake, not just where contact was made with the offending object.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2014, 03:37 AM   #9
nikolaras
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 3.0D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty Shorty View Post
I can live with the orange peel look, it appears it's just a sign of these environmental times so have to accept it I suppose. What I can't live with is imperfection or mistakes. I'll take some photos and put them up ASAP.

The interesting/worrying thing about the chip is it looks more like the paint has come off as a little flake, not just where contact was made with the offending object.
What's your color. Metallic or standard
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2014, 03:40 AM   #10
Shorty Shorty
Private
Rep

Sapphire black metallic.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2014, 07:11 AM   #11
HMN
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5MC LCI, 2017 F86 X6M

Garage List
2014 BMW X5  [0.00]
I've had some friends who complained about the same issue.
I think it is just a stunt in order to make you pay for the paint protection (I've got it on and the pain seems perfect).
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2014, 03:11 AM   #12
parm
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 M50d

Sorry to hear about the problem with your paint. I had a similar issue with mine (search on awful service from park lane.....for the thread) the rear of the car had been mopped to within an inch if it's life and looked grey in places and not black, the corners of the panels had no paint left on them and I too had dust in the laquer. BMW repaired it at park lane when I complained but it came back looking worse. The additional problem was now that Park lane denied any further paint problem and said the car looked perfect(clearly it didn't) My only mode of communication with BMW at this point was to post pictures of the car and share the link on as many of their Facebook pages an twitter feeds as possible. The car was taken back to Thorn who immediately said the paint was cr&p. The car was repainted properly at the prep centre and now looks mint. Don't accept what the dealers says and push for a BMW rep to inspect it. My last two BMW have both had terrible paint and I concur with the previous posts. Great cars but the paint could be better. Good luck sorting it and don't accept them saying no to you
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2014, 12:56 PM   #13
originalgoods13
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Chevy Spark

Quote:
Originally Posted by parm View Post
Sorry to hear about the problem with your paint. I had a similar issue with mine (search on awful service from park lane.....for the thread) the rear of the car had been mopped to within an inch if it's life and looked grey in places and not black, the corners of the panels had no paint left on them and I too had dust in the laquer. BMW repaired it at park lane when I complained but it came back looking worse. The additional problem was now that Park lane denied any further paint problem and said the car looked perfect(clearly it didn't) My only mode of communication with BMW at this point was to post pictures of the car and share the link on as many of their Facebook pages an twitter feeds as possible. The car was taken back to Thorn who immediately said the paint was cr&p. The car was repainted properly at the prep centre and now looks mint. Don't accept what the dealers says and push for a BMW rep to inspect it. My last two BMW have both had terrible paint and I concur with the previous posts. Great cars but the paint could be better. Good luck sorting it and don't accept them saying no to you
Hi parm,

While I could understand that BMW did not purposely placed 3M film or clear paint protection film on the "flared" areas of the M Sport packaged F15, I believe that we should all be proactive on paint protection on these vehicles.

I have a Black Sapphire Metallic xLine and the first thing I installed was a full front clear plastic film which costs about $1,000 CAD.

I also bought some 3M plastic film from eBay ($50) and covered the bottom 6" part of the rocker panel (lower door area), and also the part where the rear door flares out (which I believe most of the rocks and debris hit)

Having an M Sport package (which I eluded on adding to my build) adds more flared and painted surfaces (lowered, painted front bumper cover, flared fender wheelwells, lower side skirt) which is highly susceptible against debris.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2014, 02:12 PM   #14
parm
Private First Class
Rep

Hi originalgoods,

I concur and I've always had my cars professionally wrapped in vinyl film. However the issues on my car were present at zero miles and not confined to high impact areas like the wheel arches.

Don't want to hijack the thread but I think bmw should take a little more care with the paint as I remember having dust in the laquer on my last 2 E46 M3's which were factory fresh.

Hope these are isolated events as we all clearly enjoy our cars and the should be as perfect as possible or we'd buy a used car.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2014, 02:13 PM   #15
parm
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalgoods13 View Post
Hi parm,

While I could understand that BMW did not purposely placed 3M film or clear paint protection film on the "flared" areas of the M Sport packaged F15, I believe that we should all be proactive on paint protection on these vehicles.

I have a Black Sapphire Metallic xLine and the first thing I installed was a full front clear plastic film which costs about $1,000 CAD.

I also bought some 3M plastic film from eBay ($50) and covered the bottom 6" part of the rocker panel (lower door area), and also the part where the rear door flares out (which I believe most of the rocks and debris hit)

Having an M Sport package (which I eluded on adding to my build) adds more flared and painted surfaces (lowered, painted front bumper cover, flared fender wheelwells, lower side skirt) which is highly susceptible against debris.
Impressed you applied the film yourself I would have made a hash of it
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2014, 02:40 PM   #16
Kzang
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i Msport SG

BMW is notorious for poor paint and orange peels... Check this link out http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...ghlight=orange
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2014, 08:30 PM   #17
originalgoods13
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Chevy Spark

Quote:
Originally Posted by parm View Post
Impressed you applied the film yourself I would have made a hash of it
The bottom part of the door is quite easy to apply. All you need to buy is a 6" x 144" 3M and that will cover all 4 doors

Took me about 1 hour per-side to install

Sorry, I misunderstood your post, I thought the "dusting" was the term you used when a body panel gets pelted with debris, causing a "dusting" gray effect on the paint
Appreciate 0