02-10-2015, 11:45 AM   #23
ferrarif1
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F85, G05, E46M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42pilot View Post
Cracked the BMW ECU? Through experimentation? Compared to Dinan who actually works with BMW, I know who I would support. Don't get me wrong - I am not promoting Dinan. I am trying to make a point comparing the two.

The link is a better discussion on the use of dyno's rather than the tune itself.

I read the post and it seems like they are an independent shop trying to crack ECU's - there are plenty of these out there. And good for them - I was one of them but using a different ECU rather than trying crack the Porsche DME/ECU. I am in Belgium a couple times a year and might stop by to see what they are doing. But I don't think they are in the same category as the other chip makers and the one tuner you already list.

Again, good job on your hard work. Maybe you'll want to add independent shops to your list for those who don't mind getting involved with experimenting.
@MattBianco post is indeed newsworthy. The encryption on the new generation of DME's has only recently been broken and that is why you see so many piggyback tunes for engines like the N63tu where the older DME's in the N63 were cracked already for an ECU tune by companies like Dinan or Dinan licensed the tools from a company that had broken the encryption.

You will start to see ECU tunes for more BMW cars as a result of this development.

On the topic of Dinan, they make fantastic, well engineered products but don't have engineering support from BMW like you imply. If they had the factory support you suggest, they would have developed ECU tunes long ago for newer models but chose to go the piggyback route instead. Outside of their racing efforts, Dinan has a warranty relationship with BMW.
Appreciate 1
      02-10-2015, 12:03 PM   #24
42pilot
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 35d MSport

You are right, and I get that. And I am not saying it's shady. In fact, I recommended that Matt look at adding another category for independent shops - maybe even ECU flashes.
      02-10-2015, 12:05 PM   #25
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d msport

Quote:
You are right, and I get that. And I am not saying it's shady. In fact, I recommended that Matt look at adding another category for independent shops - maybe even ECU flashes.
Happy to do that, but it is tough to get pricing from independents and frankly, I don't even know where to begin. I understand there are a great many of those, and I would think we would need to categorize them by location.
      02-10-2015, 12:19 PM   #26
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Note: more endorsements for BR Performance in the featured thread: http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1088501
      02-10-2015, 12:41 PM   #27
42pilot
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarif1 View Post
@MattBianco post is indeed newsworthy. The encryption on the new generation of DME's has only recently been broken and that is why you see so many piggyback tunes for engines like the N63tu where the older DME's in the N63 were cracked already for an ECU tune by companies like Dinan or Dinan licensed the tools from a company that had broken the encryption.

You will start to see ECU tunes for more BMW cars as a result of this development.

On the topic of Dinan, they make fantastic, well engineered products but don't have engineering support from BMW like you imply. If they had the factory support you suggest, they would have developed ECU tunes long ago for newer models but chose to go the piggyback route instead. Outside of their racing efforts, Dinan has a warranty relationship with BMW.
Yes, you are completely correct that BMW does not offer any engineering to Dinan, or for that matter, anyone outside the BMW family. That is my mistake for implying that fact here. Dinan reverse-tuned their ECU tunes (I had a 550i with their Stage 2 flash tune) and provides ECU flashes, as well as piggy-back where they have not reverse-tuned the ECU. The last article I read about most of their piggy-backs was that most read over 175 inputs and made the modifications to the stock ECU. That's more tuning than most.

I am not even sure you could call the warranty a relationship between Dinan and BMW, other than they might get better parts pricing and shop rates than someone off the street when an engine goes south within the OEM warranty period.
      02-10-2015, 01:51 PM   #28
ferrarif1
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes, you are completely correct that BMW does not offer any engineering to Dinan, or for that matter, anyone outside the BMW family. That is my mistake for implying that fact here. Dinan reverse-tuned their ECU tunes (I had a 550i with their Stage 2 flash tune) and provides ECU flashes, as well as piggy-back where they have not reverse-tuned the ECU. The last article I read about most of their piggy-backs was that most read over 175 inputs and made the modifications to the stock ECU. That's more tuning than most.

I am not even sure you could call the warranty a relationship between Dinan and BMW, other than they might get better parts pricing and shop rates than someone off the street when an engine goes south within the OEM warranty period.
Can you point me to the article you read about their piggyback tune?
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2015, 02:08 PM   #29
paicapo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, F15 X5 M-sport

Quote:

Just what i was thinking, I thought that the NA dinan warranty was a independent engine warranty supported by dinan only whit no connection to bmw warranty whatsoever.
Appreciate 1
      02-10-2015, 05:26 PM   #30
42pilot
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarif1 View Post
Can you point me to the article you read about their piggyback tune?
It was an online article so I'll look for it tonight. It was in an interview with Dinan and he was explaining how it worked for a particular application.
      02-10-2015, 05:28 PM   #31
42pilot
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by paicapo View Post
Just what i was thinking, I thought that the NA dinan warranty was a independent engine warranty supported by dinan only whit no connection to bmw warranty whatsoever.
It is independent of BMW, but according to Dinan, the BMW dealer who is an authorized dealer can do the repair.
      02-11-2015, 11:01 AM   #32
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Was contacted by Evox Systems. Updated table to include their chip.
      02-12-2015, 03:01 PM   #33
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Update post #1 with additional info for BMW's own M Performance Power Kit, available for 25d and 30d (35d USA). Note, the kit is not authorized for use in the US, AFAIK.

Also added more chip suppliers who contacted me.

02-14-2015, 12:21 PM   #34
Wardman
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F15 X5d

Once installed, do the increased HP and TQ show up on the sport gauges that you can turn on, meaning does a 35d show over 300hp - has anyone checked?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2015, 12:44 PM   #35
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardman
Once installed, do the increased HP and TQ show up on the sport gauges that you can turn on, meaning does a 35d show over 300hp - has anyone checked?

Thanks!
Nope. Those number on the sport display can only be changed by BMW.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2015, 01:19 PM   #36
Wardman
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33 View Post
Nope. Those number on the sport display can only be changed by BMW.
Clarification - my dials/gauges go to 330hp - with the chip installed do you see the increased HP on the gauges? I have to assume they are reading from the same components so they should increase. Make sense?
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2015, 01:34 PM   #37
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardman View Post
Clarification - my dials/gauges go to 330hp - with the chip installed do you see the increased HP on the gauges? I have to assume they are reading from the same components so they should increase. Make sense?
Clarification - the dials/gauges is pre-set by BMW to shows 330hp max. And the chip is only piggy back, it doesn't have access to the car ECU to change the sport display values.
The ECU reading is not read from the same components as it supposedly is, it is reading from the piggy back unit where it changed the value from the actual reading coming off the sensor. So, the piggy back unit is telling the ECU that the fuel flow is not enough in the fuel rail (which actually is, but the piggy back telling the ECU to deliver more by telling it that it is currently not up to the aimed target value).
It is almost the same as obesity, the stomach is full, but the hormone tells the brain that you are still hungry. Then, what you get, an overweight individual.
Make sense?
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 3
      02-14-2015, 02:00 PM   #38
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33 View Post
Clarification -......
It is almost the same as obesity, the stomach is full, but the hormone tells the brain that you are still hungry. Then, what you get, an overweight individual.
Make sense?
Great analogy.
      02-14-2015, 06:34 PM   #39
ferrarif1
Major
United_States
Rep

Has anyone used the MaxChip Pro? Given the price, this seems to be the best value out of the lot.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2015, 07:21 PM   #40
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarif1
Has anyone used the MaxChip Pro? Given the price, this seems to be the best value out of the lot.
See link in post #1
      02-17-2015, 01:38 PM   #41
Wardman
First Lieutenant
Rep

Got it - thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2015, 02:31 PM   #42
FSociety
IG @bmwF9xG80
Rep
Drives: G80 M3, X4M, G07 X7m50

Garage List
2023 BMW G80 M3  [0.00]
2020 BMW X4MC  [0.00]
16' BMW X4 M40i  [10.00]
06 Cadillac STS  [0.00]
in regards to BR-Performance I contacted them and they informed other than AMS Performance (though they're not in my area) Enzo Performance is the only person they know of or can recommend for ECU Flash Tuning via Dyno Tuning http://enzoperformance.com

I have a different engine though but wanted to share that info, this was a month ago.

IG: @bmwF9XG80

Appreciate 1
      02-19-2015, 12:12 PM   #43
coolmex200
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, 2016 X5 35i, F25d

Hey guys!
After two plus weeks of running the Maxchip I happy with it. I bought a OBD2 wifi adapter and ran dashcommand with it. I am not sure of the validity of the information that dashcommand displays, but it was way more than I expected.
First of all, our consumption has gone back to somewhat normal. Our last tank was avrg of 29.2mpg per computer, but 28 mpg by my own calculation. The first tank was only 25 mpg, but I was driving WOT to test the Maxchip.
Anyways, I'm trying to convince my wife to let me order the Racechip pro2 since they are the comparable price to Maxchip pro. One annoyance is that I opened the box and they are NO DIALS to adjust! My Maxchip pro for my 335 has tunning dials and has been nice to dial up during the summer time and dial down during winter. I email their customer service to find out why and if their product line changed for the F15.
Well, I'm writing from my phone, so that's enough for now...here are two shots...one with the max HP and one with max torque.
Appreciate 1
      02-19-2015, 12:19 PM   #44
coolmex200
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, 2016 X5 35i, F25d

The app is not letting me upload the pics...I'll try again from my laptop later.
Appreciate 0