BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-21-2014, 06:20 PM   #45
jc68
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 ZCP, F15 X5, 991.2 GT3

My wife was in the passenger seat and adjusted her seat with her seat belt on when the car is in motion. The Idrive pops out an error message about Passenger restraint system malfunction with a red airbag and seat belt image. I asked her to put her seat back in the previous position and the error message went away immediately.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2014, 12:53 AM   #46
atlantiQue
bmw x5 x25d
Belgium
Rep
Drives: x5 x25d

HUD sharpness

Not even sure if this is an issue or just the way it is. My HUD display is not totally crystal clear or razor sharp. The letters are slightly blurry although still legible, even the small letters of media or navigation info. If I were to express it in percentages I'd say the display is 90-95% sharp but not totally crystal no matter from which angle to look at or how clean the windshield is. Could definitely live with that, not very fond of having the windshield (which definitely is the reason) replaced, but just want to make sure if I should at all expect perfect sharpness or is it just the way it is supposed to be? Thanks for sharing feedback on your HUD displays.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2014, 02:28 AM   #47
oshiri
Private
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 30d

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantiQue View Post
Not even sure if this is an issue or just the way it is. My HUD display is not totally crystal clear or razor sharp. The letters are slightly blurry although still legible, even the small letters of media or navigation info. If I were to express it in percentages I'd say the display is 90-95% sharp but not totally crystal no matter from which angle to look at or how clean the windshield is. Could definitely live with that, not very fond of having the windshield (which definitely is the reason) replaced, but just want to make sure if I should at all expect perfect sharpness or is it just the way it is supposed to be? Thanks for sharing feedback on your HUD displays.
hard to say whether what you consider to be 90-95% is the same as or worse than everyone elses. (i know its hard) but maybe try to take a photo of your HUD?
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 04:19 AM   #48
Armen383
First Lieutenant
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: Mercedes-Benz E63S

When the side-bolster (right one on RHD) on the driver’s seat is inflating there's this loud and thus very annoying squeaky sound (as if it's the nappa leather squeaking on the inside if that makes sense) . So every time I get in or out of the car (and therefore the bolsters inflate or deflate) I hear this noise… drives me nuts. What’s worse – I doubt the local one and only BMW dealer will tell me anything other than: “Well, we could rip your seat apart and see what it is, but I wouldn’t recommend you doing it” or in other words: “Our mechanics suck bigtime and we can screw something up”.

P.S. Started circa 1 month after ownership. BMW at it's best as usual - great fun to drive, suck balls with quality. Someone rewind the clock back to 1990s when the word "quality" actually dominated the word "profit" in German cars...
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 06:41 AM   #49
atomic80
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 997TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armen383 View Post
When the side-bolster (right one on RHD) on the driver’s seat is inflating there's this loud and thus very annoying squeaky sound (as if it's the nappa leather squeaking on the inside if that makes sense) . So every time I get in or out of the car (and therefore the bolsters inflate or deflate) I hear this noise… drives me nuts. What’s worse – I doubt the local one and only BMW dealer will tell me anything other than: “Well, we could rip your seat apart and see what it is, but I wouldn’t recommend you doing it” or in other words: “Our mechanics suck bigtime and we can screw something up”.

P.S. Started circa 1 month after ownership. BMW at it's best as usual - great fun to drive, suck balls with quality. Someone rewind the clock back to 1990s when the word "quality" actually dominated the word "profit" in German cars...
Mine does the same thing! My dealership diagnosed it as being due to defective bolster bladders and will be changing both when the part arrives this week. Apparently these parts are very hard to get and could take a while. They do plan to tear the seat apart to replace the bolster. I really hope they do a good job of putting it back together too.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 06:42 AM   #50
busta1978
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 XDrive50i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armen383 View Post

@armen383 From what I understand you have the bolsters inflate and deflate automatically when you get in and out of the car. Can you please advise how you managed to set it that way? I have comfort seats but not sure how to set this.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 06:48 AM   #51
atomic80
Lieutenant
Rep

Mine does the same thing too..automatically inflates and deflates. I was able to set mine that way by adjusting the bolsters to where I want them to be and then saving that setting by pressing "M" then "1" (or "2").
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 06:53 AM   #52
busta1978
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 XDrive50i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomic80 View Post
Mine does the same thing too..automatically inflates and deflates. I was able to set mine that way by adjusting the bolsters to where I want them to be and then saving that setting by pressing "M" then "1" (or "2").
@atomic80 thanks for the quick reply. Ok so if I understand this if my seats are set in a certain way, when I switch off the car to get out then the bolsters should just move automatically? For now the only thing I am noticing is that the steering wheel lifts. I would have thought that my seat would also move back but it does not seem that there is an option for this.

So there is no specific place on the I-drive to switch on and off any comfort access settings like steering and seats, etc....?
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 06:54 AM   #53
atomic80
Lieutenant
Rep

Maybe there is...my car is being serviced so I don't have a way to check but when I get it back I'll be sure to do that.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 07:00 AM   #54
Armen383
First Lieutenant
Cyprus
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomic80 View Post
Mine does the same thing! My dealership diagnosed it as being due to defective bolster bladders and will be changing both when the part arrives this week. Apparently these parts are very hard to get and could take a while. They do plan to tear the seat apart to replace the bolster. I really hope they do a good job of putting it back together too.
BMW must be really happy their cars give us a serious hard-on when we look at them and especially when we drive them. But still
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 07:03 AM   #55
Armen383
First Lieutenant
Cyprus
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by busta1978 View Post
@armen383 From what I understand you have the bolsters inflate and deflate automatically when you get in and out of the car. Can you please advise how you managed to set it that way? I have comfort seats but not sure how to set this.
Same as atomic80 posted... just set up everything (seats, steering wheel, mirrors, etc.) and store this under any of the memory buttons. I don't think I changed anything else in the iDrive that can affect this, just turned off the car asking me about profiles every time I start it, so it just picks mine automatically (since I won't allow my wife to drive this one anyway )
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 10:21 AM   #56
stewy604
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 xDrive 35d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by busta1978 View Post
...when I switch off the car to get out then the bolsters should just move automatically?
Much like the steering wheel moving into an upward position, the side bolsters on the seat 'retract' to allow easier entry/exit from the vehicle. Nice feature, but it would be nice to turn it off and on. My Ford truck had this, was called "Easy Entry/Exit" and could be turned off via the Sync system.

Last edited by stewy604; 07-28-2014 at 04:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2014, 01:31 PM   #57
BKMK5
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 MB C43

So out of the 850 miles on the truck 500 of them I listened to the gong. Brought it in yesterday since the 'Hood Open' alarm is still going off but triggering the alarm. Apparently the hood has been opened 170 times or at least the alarm was tripped that many times since the last check.

I also complained about how the HUD doesn't always remain on after we shut the car off, lock it and then get back in the car. The setting should be that the HUD turn on if it was previously on when you shut and locked the vehicle with that key. Well they found a fault with the HUD and replacing that today. Awesome $80k truck!

The Porsche needed about the same amount of repairs with the clock and the PSM being replaced. Its just unfortunate that such expensive cars can come with issues like this. Quality control is clearly not there.
SOLD-2011.5 ///M3 Sedan ZCP
SOLD-2008 E90 335i Sport
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2014, 02:28 PM   #58
BKMK5
First Lieutenant
Rep

You know it is never good when you have to hunt down your service adviser.

They ripped out my dashboard to replace the HUD and is still not done. Hello rattles. I am f%@$ing livid right now! I would have been fine with turning on the HUD when it didn't start up automatically. It still worked and the car didn't rattle. Now it may work and will most likely rattle. I am beyond annoyed that they would do the work without advising of what needs to be done. I confirmed last night that he didn't need to take the dashboard out.
SOLD-2008 E90 335i Sport
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 03:09 PM   #59
BKMK5
First Lieutenant
Rep

Still no car. Terrible service. Why it takes 5 days to replace and reprogram the heads up display is beyond me. Could possibly be getting it tomorrow, but then again I'll have to continue to track down my client adviser.
SOLD-2008 E90 335i Sport
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 04:32 PM   #60
ramsal
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 & 2018 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKMK5 View Post
Still no car. Terrible service. Why it takes 5 days to replace and reprogram the heads up display is beyond me. Could possibly be getting it tomorrow, but then again I'll have to continue to track down my client adviser.
I've had a very similar experience trying to get updates on my vehicle which is frustrating as hell. I can only guess that because they do the servicing they are probably always overbooked. Bringing my vehicle in next week to correct damage done during last repair repair so I will be losing my car for another week. At least my SA is apparently reading my posts on this forum so he knows how I feel.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 04:47 PM   #61
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Just noticed something with my car.
The tire pressure shown in the iDrive are different than the actual tire pressure.
I have yet to talk to my SA tomorrow to get it checked.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 04:50 PM   #62
NPickles
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F15 40D SE Space Grey/Terra

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33 View Post
Just noticed something with my car.
The tire pressure shown in the iDrive are different than the actual tire pressure.
I have yet to talk to my SA tomorrow to get it checked.
How much was the difference? How have you determined there is a difference and was it calibrated equipment?
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 04:53 PM   #63
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPickles View Post
How much was the difference? How have you determined there is a difference and was it calibrated equipment?
I used 2 different tire pressure gauge and both shows 36psi fronts and 42psi rears, but on my iDrive shows 30psi fronts and 35psi rears.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 04:58 PM   #64
NPickles
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I used 2 different tire pressure gauge and both shows 36psi fronts and 42psi rears, but on my iDrive shows 30psi fronts and 35psi rears.
Wow, that's quite a difference. How accurate are the TPMS sensors supposed to be?
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 05:01 PM   #65
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Supposed to be +/- 1psi. I never have issues with my F10 which runs Beru/Huff.
BMW changed TPMS brand to Continental/VDO for F15 X5, MY 03/14 F2x/F3x, and F8x M3/M4. It might be TPMS issue.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 05:09 PM   #66
NPickles
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Supposed to be +/- 1psi. I never have issues with my F10 which runs Beru/Huff.
BMW changed TPMS brand to Continental/VDO for F15 X5, MY 03/14 F2x/F3x, and F8x M3/M4. It might be TPMS issue.
I'll have to check mine now, I'll let you know what I find in the morning when I check them.
Appreciate 0