BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

09-14-2017, 04:43 PM   #1
expidia
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 35i

Done with McGuires spray detailer

Went over my black X5 yesterday with it after I washed it in the shade on a cool car . . . Used the McGuires spray to give it a little shine and remove water spots. Then parked it in the sun. The sun quickly showed how bad a job on a black car this stuff does. Used micro fiber clothes and it looked gross revealing white haze, spots, swirls, smudges etc. No matter how much I buffed. I guess you get what you pay for $7.99. Im going to try BLACKFIRE WD Polymer Spray Sealant/detailer.

There was also a good youtube review and comparison of 20 detailing sprays (Blackfire was not reviewed) and the number #1 was Bouncers Done and Dusted something, but only available in England.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bouncers-Du.../dp/B00W9O3Q1A

The Blackfire I just bought has great reviews on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Blackfire-Pol...lackfire+spray

This guys goofy, but it seems to be honest comparisons of various quick detailing sprays (2 youtube parts):

Last edited by expidia; 09-15-2017 at 06:43 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2017, 11:24 AM   #2
double_j
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 JB/B E90 M3

I've used Meguiars SD on black and never had a problem with it. That said, I only ever used it as a spot/quick treatment after laying down a good base layer of sealant first.

I have the Blackfire spray and I don't really think it's noticeably better than the Meguiars. Very few (if any) spray detailers will be good enough to serve as a standalone final step product.

It sounds like your expectations for a spray detailer are way too high. It also sounds like your car needs a good decontamination (clay or similar) and polishing. No sealant (spray or otherwise) will do a great job of dressing up a damaged surface underneath.

Finally, note that continuous buffing is not effective unless you are still trying to remove excess sealant from the paint surface. Since spray detailers are so thin, they should come off with one or two wipes plus maybe one or two light wipes for a final touch.

Once all excess product is removed, the only thing continued buffing will do is risk damage to the paint. At that point, you're not buffing anymore, you're scrubbing/scraping.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2017, 12:38 PM   #3
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

I have used Optimum Instant Detailer for years. Absolutely love it.

Appreciate 1
expidia161.50
      09-15-2017, 10:42 PM   #4
expidia
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by double_j View Post
I've used Meguiars SD on black and never had a problem with it. That said, I only ever used it as a spot/quick treatment after laying down a good base layer of sealant first.

I have the Blackfire spray and I don't really think it's noticeably better than the Meguiars. Very few (if any) spray detailers will be good enough to serve as a standalone final step product.

It sounds like your expectations for a spray detailer are way too high. It also sounds like your car needs a good decontamination (clay or similar) and polishing. No sealant (spray or otherwise) will do a great job of dressing up a damaged surface underneath.

Finally, note that continuous buffing is not effective unless you are still trying to remove excess sealant from the paint surface. Since spray detailers are so thin, they should come off with one or two wipes plus maybe one or two light wipes for a final touch.

Once all excess product is removed, the only thing continued buffing will do is risk damage to the paint. At that point, you're not buffing anymore, you're scrubbing/scraping.
Thanks for your reply.
It was not being used as a stand alone product. I've been detailing my own rides for years.
A few weeks ago I . . .
.1 Clay barred first with a Nanoskin mitt (much better and easier than clay.
.2 Menzerna polish (Fine cut).
.3 2 coats of Menzerna Power Lock
.4 2 coats of P21S Carnauba Wax

Did my Audi a few days later too exactly the same.
Both cars came out "like glass"

Can't get away from slight water spotting though so after washing and drying with microfiber cloths I like to use a spray detailer to remove the spots and deepen the gloss.

McGuires Spray Detailer will never touch my rides again

I'l try P1et'ss Optimum Instant Detailer suggestion if the Blackfire doesn't do it for me.

I'd like to get my hands on that Bouncers Done and Dusted, but a google does not show it being sold anywhere in the U.S.

My objective with a spray detailer is #1 a gloss enhancer wet look and #2 very good water beading between washes.

Last edited by expidia; 09-16-2017 at 11:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2017, 07:19 AM   #5
expidia
First Lieutenant
Rep

As I thought more about how bad my finish looked after using the McGuires detailer . . I wonder if it had some kind of reaction from this blue coral cheap carwash soap from walmart I tried?

It's not supposed to remove your current wax but it does say it leaves a shine behind because its a wash and wax concentrate.
So it must leave some type of residual behind in order to leave a shine even though you spray it all off when rinsing.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Blue-Cora...fl-oz/16889006
      09-16-2017, 07:48 AM   #6
anon1000
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw

Nothing But Zaino products on any of my cars
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2017, 11:09 AM   #7
expidia
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1000 View Post
Nothing But Zaino products on any of my cars
Watch that video I posted. Zaino spray detailer I think was near the bottom with his detailed comparisons. He does like their other products though.

It wasn't Zaino near the bottom of the list it was McGuires in 8th place to last and Sonax was a low 7th place. Those times to the left is where the place in the video he was testing the product.
Of course most of these reviews are sponsored by somebody to push their product as I'm sure he didn't awake one morning and say "hey, I think I'll do a youtube on detailing spray comparisons".

I'm sure he now has a big box of Bouncers Done and Dusted that they sent him for his placement.

It's not that big a deal to compare products. You spray it on then wipe it off. But he did seem honest in his assessments of each product.
And I agree with him on the McGuires except it should have been in last place.
If you have a white or light car I'm sure you are happy with it but you probably don't know there are much better spray detailers out there. Especially with dark colors which is another story IMO, since I own both colors.

0:33 - 9th Victoria Wax
4:03 - 8th Meguiar's Ultimate Quik Detailer
7:01 - 7th Sonax Brilliant Shine Detailer
11:21 - 6th Adam's Detail Spray
14:14 - 5th Wax Addict Fo Show
20:15 - 4th Auto Glanz Smooth Velvet
25:00 - 3rd Angel Wax QED
29:32 - 2nd Finish Kare FK 425
34:45 - 1st Bouncer's Done & Dusted

Last edited by expidia; 09-20-2017 at 06:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2017, 11:27 AM   #8
expidia
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post

I just ordered a bottle. I'll try doing 1/2 my hood with Blackfire and the other half with Optimum and see which looks the best as a gloss enhancer, water beading, length of time the products last and which one repels dirt and dust better between washes.
      09-18-2017, 02:22 PM   #9
expidia
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Tip: arrived today from amazon I ordered their 17 oz in a spray bottle for $17.94 yet no "spray head" included even though they show it pictured as a spray bottle! Pretty ballsy to dupe us

So I'm having amazon pick it up at no charge and they can take it back.

Tip is: I re-ordered their 32 oz bottle (no spray head) for $20.46.
for $2.52 more you get 15 oz more of the product.

Update: the Black Fire WD detail spray and sealant came today. I did 1/2 the car right down the middle as a test and awaiting the optimum that I re-ordered to do the other 1/2 of the car.
So far I have to say its night and day Black Fire vs McGuires. The Black Fire goes on very easy with a very very small sprayed amount. Lightly wipe off and no buffing and the car came out great. I put it in the same position with the sun shining on it after I finished and there was a great shine where as the McGuires was smearing, smudging and hazing all over. So far I'm liking this Black Fire. Be interesting to see how the optimum compares . . . Buffing the MGuires just moved it around.

Check the pic. I did not buff the car at all other than wiping off the sprayed area.
Once I do the other 1/2 with Optimum I'll buff down the whole car with a microfiber.

One thing I still need to work on is how to get rid of the wax overspray on the plastic trim. I even scrubbed it with autoglym and a large detailing toothbrush and a week later the white crap starts coming through again . . . HELP
Attached Images

Last edited by expidia; 09-19-2017 at 03:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2017, 03:09 PM   #10
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by expidia View Post
Tip: arrived today from amazon I ordered their 17 oz in a spray bottle for $17.94 yet no "spray head" included even though they show it pictured as a spray bottle! Pretty ballsy to dupe us

So I'm having amazon pick it up at no charge and they can take it back.

Tip is: I re-ordered their 32 oz bottle (no spray head) for $20.46.
for $2.52 more you get 15 oz more of the product.
Good call, that is what I did. Did you save the bottle and sprayer from your Meguiars? Reason is, this is a product you cut 4:1 I believe. So what I did was pour one quarter OID in the Meguiars bottle, three quarters distilled water. Works great.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2017, 06:29 PM   #11
expidia
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Good call, that is what I did. Did you save the bottle and sprayer from your Meguiars? Reason is, this is a product you cut 4:1 I believe. So what I did was pour one quarter OID in the Meguiars bottle, three quarters distilled water. Works great.
Thx. it was their pictured deception that ticked me off. I have empty spray bottles. Or I could just order 3 empty spray bottles from chemical guys for $14.97 and just pay them another $14.94 for UPS shipping for a 1 lb box for a total of $29.91 for 3 empty 16 oz spray bottles.

Do these auto detailing supply vendors think that people who own 65k plus cars got to this point in life by "falling off the proverbial turnip truck"

Last edited by expidia; 09-18-2017 at 06:42 PM..
Appreciate 1
P111541.50
      09-19-2017, 03:51 PM   #12
expidia
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
OK great. I'm going to enjoy pouring that McGuires crap into the woods. I'll refill it with the optimum cut 4 to 1 with distilled water if the one they are sending me is a concentrate.
      09-19-2017, 05:33 PM   #13
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
OK great. I'm going to enjoy pouring that McGuires crap into the woods. I'll refill it with the optimum cut 4 to 1 with distilled water if the one they are sending me is a concentrate.
I just checked on their website: looks like 3 to 1 actually. But check on the bottle just to make sure.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2017, 05:38 PM   #14
expidia
First Lieutenant
Rep

Optimum came today so I did the other 1/2 of the car for my test of the two products.
You use 8 oz of optimum and 3 cups (24 oz distilled water). thx for that distilled water tip I dont think it says use distilled on label.

Optimum is definitely the cheaper spray on detailer as that $20 32 oz bottle makes 128 oz of product. They both sell for around $57 a gallon, but the diluting of the Optimum gives you 4 Gallons of product after dilution against 1 gallon of undiluted Blackfire.

I think Optimum might have an edge as to the ease of how quickly it removes dried on water spots over the Blackfire. Today seemed easier with less rubbing or wiping over those dried on water spots.

Silky feel of the paint surface feels about the same with each product after application.

Optimum seemed to take less effort of lightly buffing after wiping on with one side of a microfiber and then lightly buffing with the other side dry side of the cloth.

Gloss seems about the same for each product.

The one rellaybig feature that stands out over the other is the beading of water. It must be the slickness or the type of polymer that Backfire uses.
See the pics below. The first two left side of hood are the Optimum and the other two are the right side of the hood with the Blackfire I did yesterday.

The Blackfire literally sheeted the water off as I was spraying (and I sprayed each side twice for fairness and using the same spray angle on each side) I have to give water repelling to the Blackfire.

Last test is endurance and the Blackfire description says to re-apply every 7-10 days.
Be interesting to see which product repels dirt better or how it looks after it rains.

They both say they are polymer sealants in a spray composition and the Blackfire does say it bonds with seal coatings and carnauba wax top coats.

Interesting bullet point on the Blackfire in that they say: Particular attention was used making this spray wax trouble-free on black and red cars, even in climates of high heat and humidity. You will not have problems with hazy patches, streaks or cloudiness. Just a rich, uniform shine!

Haha . . . hazy patches, streaks or cloudiness thats exactly what the McGuires was leaving me on my black car and it was a pleasure to dump that crap out and refill their bottle with the Optimum.

Those black vertical lines on the hood pics are just reflections of the overhead power and telephone lines.
Attached Images

Last edited by expidia; 09-21-2017 at 06:47 AM..
Appreciate 1
P111541.50
      09-21-2017, 07:12 AM   #15
expidia
First Lieutenant
Rep

One thing I still need to work on is how to get rid of the wax overspray on the plastic trim. I even scrubbed it with autoglym and a large detailing toothbrush and a week later the white crap starts coming through again . . . HELP

I think I found out a solution... pencil eraser supposedly removes the wax over spray where as pruducts like autoglym bumper dressing only covers it up with oils and then it dries out and the white stains are back.

Dont use a pink one (its a pain to get off). Use a white type one.

Check this vid out:

Last edited by expidia; 09-21-2017 at 07:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2017, 07:26 AM   #16
SCA
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Multiple BMWs

Quote:

I think I found out a solution... pencil eraser supposedly removes the wax over spray where as pruducts like autoglym bumper dressing only covers it up with oils and then it dries out and the white stains are back.
The eraser works to a certain degree. I have also heard that peanut butter works, but personally I have never tried it.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2017, 07:36 AM   #17
expidia
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCA View Post
The eraser works to a certain degree. I have also heard that peanut butter works, but personally I have never tried it.
Peanut butter is just an oil based cover up. White stains come back as soon as it dries out.
      09-21-2017, 07:45 AM   #18
SCA
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Multiple BMWs

Quote:
Peanut butter is just an oil based cover up. White stains come back as soon as it dries out.
Taping unpainted/black trim prior to compounding, polishing, and waxing is truly the best solution. Avoiding the staining all together...
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2017, 10:57 AM   #19
expidia
First Lieutenant
Rep

Update: after a few weeks testing both the Optimum and the Blackfire quick spray detailers (1/2 of the X5 split down the middle with each product) . . .

Both of these are outstanding products for shine “and” endurance. Blackfire’s label says it will last 7-10 and it really does as does the Optimum.

The water sheeting after spraying with a hose initially looked better with the Blackfire but over the next few days they both beaded water the same.
I loved getting into a water droplet covered car on the cold mornings and after my 7 min drive to work on the highway my black X5 was shiny and spotless again. With no water marks. Previoulsy, Mcguires quick spray detailer when viewed in the sun left it with hazy, smudgy, blotchy patches. And using a clean micro fiber cloth just seemed to push those areas around to another area of haziness. I’m spraying these products over 2 layers of Menzurna power lock sealant and 2 layers of P21S Carnauba wax.
The Blackfire and Optimum don’t seem to interfere with the finish I’ve built up.

I even washed my X5 during the week and did not have to reapply either product.

I can come out in the AM and see accumulated dust and pollen but a quick swipe with a microfiber cloth removes all. Even on these cold fall evenings in the AM and the X5 is covered with dewand left to dry in the sun there is 90% less water spotting.

I’m attributing the shine and endurance is due to both products are actually a polymer based sealant in a spray form.

The clear winner is the Optimum because you dilute it 3/1 so its as cheap as a $7 32oz bottle of Mcguires spray detailer. Maybe Mcquires ultimate detailer does a better job or maybe it has polymers. I dont know. These two quick detailing products I’ve tested over the past 2weeks blow the mcguires product in the burgundy bottle away. I poured that Shiz out and refilled their bottle with the Optimum

Last edited by expidia; 10-06-2017 at 06:43 PM..
Appreciate 1
P111541.50
      10-06-2017, 03:34 PM   #20
MN2///M
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: very fast!

I had similar issues with current McGuires Quick Detailer spray. I bought some waterless wash primarily as a way to clean the car when I could not actually use water to wash and have found it makes an outstanding quick detailer.

May be worth a try; $38 a gallon:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For what it is worth, I also tried the Chemical Guys product, but like the Aero Cosmetics product better; link for Chemical Guys product:

If you don't already have one, you need a California Duster. Only issue is the paint has to be stone cold or you get some wax transfer from the brush. I have to dust my cars daily here in Colorado.

California Duster link:

Little one works well for dusting the interior.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2017, 04:58 PM   #21
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Glad to see Optimum ID worked great for you also!
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2017, 06:59 PM   #22
expidia
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN2///M View Post
I had similar issues with current McGuires Quick Detailer spray. I bought some waterless wash primarily as a way to clean the car when I could not actually use water to wash and have found it makes an outstanding quick detailer.

May be worth a try; $38 a gallon:

For what it is worth, I also tried the Chemical Guys product, but like the Aero Cosmetics product better; link for Chemical Guys product:

If you don't already have one, you need a California Duster. Only issue is the paint has to be stone cold or you get some wax transfer from the brush. I have to dust my cars daily here in Colorado.

California Duster link:

Little one works well for dusting the interior.
Thx for those tips. I do have a couple of california dusters. They pick up dust like a magnet, better than a microfiber. They are the original ones with the long wooden handles.

SUV’s are so frustrating. I can drive my 7 min on the highway to my office and back... its all dry paved highway and the trunk lid has dust on it