BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

09-20-2017, 06:50 PM   #1
smooveken
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d

foggy headlight on the outside

Has anyone experienced an issue where the headlight lens fogs up on the outside? I've heard of fogging due to condensation on the inside, but my x5 is only 2 years old and the passenger side headlight is fogged up pretty bad. What's the best way to fix this? I heard you can polish it out but it reverts back pretty quickly.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2017, 11:35 AM   #2
Rotzy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F15, 2015 F83

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by smooveken View Post
Has anyone experienced an issue where the headlight lens fogs up on the outside? I've heard of fogging due to condensation on the inside, but my x5 is only 2 years old and the passenger side headlight is fogged up pretty bad. What's the best way to fix this? I heard you can polish it out but it reverts back pretty quickly.
When you say "fogged" I assume you mean it is permanently cloudy and not just temporarily wet with condensation? I'm guessing your X spends most of its life outside? This seems to be a common problem among most modern plastic headlights.

If your still under warranty, I would try and get the dealership to deal with it. If not, there are plenty of kits on the market that will polish them back to clear. I've used the turtle wax kit on my moms Z4 with good results. Apply plenty of wax/sealant to the lens afterwords. Or, you can do what I did and have the headlights covered with clear film like the rest of the front end.
      09-22-2017, 12:10 PM   #3
smooveken
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotzy View Post
When you say "fogged" I assume you mean it is permanently cloudy and not just temporarily wet with condensation? I'm guessing your X spends most of its life outside? This seems to be a common problem among most modern plastic headlights.

If your still under warranty, I would try and get the dealership to deal with it. If not, there are plenty of kits on the market that will polish them back to clear. I've used the turtle wax kit on my moms Z4 with good results. Apply plenty of wax/sealant to the lens afterwords. Or, you can do what I did and have the headlights covered with clear film like the rest of the front end.
Thanks for your response. Yes fogged as in cloudy, like it got dulled out on the outside....
Appreciate 0