Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW, LEX, MBZ, RAM, TESLA

Quote:
Originally Posted by alistairg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taran.J View Post
This dickhead sticker was on my windshield. Guess bmw isn't messing around with their "Warranty" and my radar will screw up their electrical system

Not sure how I feel about this. One hand warranty is needed that's why I bought a new car. Second even though by law we are protected to run aftermarket parts and equipment I feel like even without explanation the dealers can now void the warranty because it was wired into their cars electrical system. Only way around this is to put an aux battery in the boot for the radar lol
If you read this overtly pessimistically it's also saying that using your cellphone inside your car could cause electrical problems or void your warranty ;p

It's fair for them to say "If you do something that damages the vehicle, don't expect us to fix it for free under warranty". However, they have to reasonably prove that you caused the damage, *and* they can't void the entire warranty (e.g. if you splice a wire badly, short out the mirror assembly, they can refuse to fix that for free but if your transmission has a leak they still have to cover that).

Ultimately I've found BMW to be extremely reasonable - more so than other brands I've owned. I wouldn't worry too much about it, as long as you're sensible
Yea I'll be safely tapping my V1 from my e90 tonight into the F15
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2015, 11:20 PM   #46
Taran.J
Major General
United_States
Rep

Showed off my X5 and out showed a Viper.
Installed radar detector.
Debadged the sides and rear.
Tinted front windows 20%
Today has been successful.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-11-2015, 02:47 PM   #47
vladberca
Major General
Romania
Rep
Drives: '18 octavia 2.0 tdi dsg

How do you compare it with the ML so far? in terms of look there is no contest IMO!
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2015, 02:53 PM   #48
Taran.J
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladberca
How do you compare it with the ML so far? in terms of look there is no contest IMO!
Looks wise the ML is a 2009 so it has 6 years of age. But still not bad for its age. In terms of snow my ML has a rebuilt motor by Renntech so it's pushing 420hp.

I was comparing three suvs this time around ML550, Q7, and the X5. Out of all of my checks from a personal list the X5 smashed those two in all categories.

And for a person who buys daily cars to build I see end products and the ML and Q7 were just stupid to start with. Not sure how and why people buy them but whatever. Leaves us few bunch with better suvs at the end of the day.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2015, 03:18 PM   #49
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Looks wise the ML is a 2009 so it has 6 years of age. But still not bad for its age. In terms of snow my ML has a rebuilt motor by Renntech so it's pushing 420hp.

I was comparing three suvs this time around ML550, Q7, and the X5. Out of all of my checks from a personal list the X5 smashed those two in all categories.

And for a person who buys daily cars to build I see end products and the ML and Q7 were just stupid to start with. Not sure how and why people buy them but whatever. Leaves us few bunch with better suvs at the end of the day.
After driving my brother's '14 ML63 and mother's '14 ML350 4-Matic, I'm very happy with my F15 X5 50i. In my opinion, it really beats both in interior comfort/looks, exterior design, handling (granted my brother's car has a much better suspension, but I'm upgrading mine soon so I'll compare it later), and technology. I test drove a '14 Cayenne and '14 Q7 3.0T S-line before finally driving the X5. The X5 really won me over in every aspect from design, practicality, and price. It was just a solid overall vehicle. I'm really happy with it, and the BMW community has been a great help .
      01-11-2015, 03:22 PM   #50
Taran.J
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by opasha
Quote:

After driving my brother's '14 ML63 and mother's '14 ML350 4-Matic, I'm very happy with my F15 X5 50i. In my opinion, it really beats both in interior comfort/looks, exterior design, handling (granted my brother's car has a much better suspension, but I'm upgrading mine soon so I'll compare it later), and technology. I test drove a '14 Cayenne and '14 Q7 3.0T S-line before finally driving the X5. The X5 really won me over in every aspect from design, practicality, and price. It was just a solid overall vehicle. I'm really happy with it, and the BMW community has been a great help .
My thoughts exactly. I used to own a 2008 ML63 but that was declared a lemon so that's when I bought my other ML and C63 at the same time. Cars are great but for the X5 it's just a whole other beast. Can't describe it exactly but I bought it over the M4
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2015, 03:32 PM   #51
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
My thoughts exactly. I used to own a 2008 ML63 but that was declared a lemon so that's when I bought my other ML and C63 at the same time. Cars are great but for the X5 it's just a whole other beast. Can't describe it exactly but I bought it over the M4
M4 is great, but having the safety, extra room, and AWD of the X5 is what gives it the edge. I do love cars, but I have a soft spot for SUVs that are fast and handle superbly. You have good taste in cars btw .
      01-11-2015, 03:34 PM   #52
Taran.J
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
M4 is great, but having the safety and extra room of the X5 is what I love. I do love cars, but I have a soft spot for SUVs that are fast and handle superbly. You have good taste in cars btw .
Thank you. I change up my Daily cars every two or so years once I'm out of warranty but I love to have fun rides. Can always add an M4 to the bundle but way more fun to build something that keeps up with other drivers
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2015, 03:37 PM   #53
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Thank you. I change up my Daily cars every two or so years once I'm out of warranty but I love to have fun rides. Can always add an M4 to the bundle but way more fun to build something that keeps up with other drivers
For sure. I like to keep my cars for a long time, so I do what I can to take care of them in the best way possible. I guess it makes me drive a bit more carefully, lol. What's the timeline for your mods? Any updates? Have you decided whether or not you are going to wrap?
      01-11-2015, 03:42 PM   #54
Taran.J
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
For sure. I like to keep my cars for a long time, so I do what I can to take care of them in the best way possible. I guess it makes me drive a bit more carefully, lol. What's the timeline for your mods? Any updates? Have you decided whether or not you are going to wrap?
Wrapping the roof and rails in gloss black. No satin just going for that simple look.

Still can't get the grills off to replace the stupid chrome ones. Maybe this week do the reflectors in Alpine white to match the paint. Have them sitting in the trunk just takes longer and not sure if I have to remove the rear bumper to access them or what.

Wheels have been ordered through Sonic Tuning. Tires ordered from SimpleTire, and have to email Ben for TPMS for the new set.

Now looking into Eibach pro kit.

Then not sure wtf to do next since it's an SUV lol
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2015, 03:48 PM   #55
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Wrapping the roof and rails in gloss black. No satin just going for that simple look.

Still can't get the grills off to replace the stupid chrome ones. Maybe this week do the reflectors in Alpine white to match the paint. Have them sitting in the trunk just takes longer and not sure if I have to remove the rear bumper to access them or what.

Wheels have been ordered through Sonic Tuning. Tires ordered from SimpleTire, and have to email Ben for TPMS for the new set.

Lol, sounds good. Keep us posted on your changes with pics . Did you read the DIY thread for removing the kidney grilles?
      01-11-2015, 04:09 PM   #56
Taran.J
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Lol, sounds good. Keep us posted on your changes with pics . Did you read the DIY thread for removing the kidney grilles?
I've read Ben's and the OEM replacement guide. I've forcefully tried, I've tried with special tool and gone from the air duct side, removed the front 5 screws. None of these methods have worked out for me and if you can see my E90 build I do everything DIY and this isn't a good way for me to start on this because it's quite irritating lol
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2015, 04:14 PM   #57
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I've read Ben's and the OEM replacement guide. I've forcefully tried, I've tried with special tool and gone from the air duct side, removed the front 5 screws. None of these methods have worked out for me and if you can see my E90 build I do everything DIY and this isn't a good way for me to start on this because it's quite irritating lol
Yes, I've seen your videos - well done . I started modifying my car myself for the first time so I know how you feel when things don't go your way. You just have to keep trying. I know Barbja was also having issues with her F16 for the kidney grilles despite using the same resources. I'm really confused and wonder if they changed something in the 2015 models to make it harder? Anyone care to comment or give better advice to install the new kidney grilles? I'll check the main database and see if I can figure it out for you guys in the mean time. I'll report back in a 15 minutes or so if I find anything.
      01-11-2015, 04:21 PM   #58
Taran.J
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Yes, I've seen your videos - well done . I started modifying my car myself for the first time so I know how you feel when things don't go your way. You just have to keep trying. I know Barbja was also having issues with her F16 for the kidney grilles despite using the same resources. I'm really confused and wonder if they changed something in the 2015 models to make it harder? Anyone care to comment or give better advice to install the new kidney grilles? I'll check the main database and see if I can figure it out for you guys in the mean time. I'll report back in a 15 minutes or so if I find anything.
On the bottoms you cannot visibly reach the clips anymore. Looks like they put a piece of plastic over them for anybody trying to just put their hand through to replace them.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2015, 04:26 PM   #59
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
On the bottoms you cannot visibly reach the clips anymore. Looks like they put a piece of plastic over them for anybody trying to just put their hand through to replace them.
Yep, that's what it seems like. I can't find anything different from the current posted instructions. I guess 2015 has some annoying changes, and this carries over for the F16 as well. Sorry, brother. I guess take it to the dealer or some place that does stuff like this for cheap, and see if they will show you (if you're close to a service guy) how to do it in person?

Maybe try comparing to other BMW installs for some advice/tips that may help:

F25: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=804434

Last edited by opasha; 01-11-2015 at 04:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2015, 04:55 PM   #60
Taran.J
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Yep, that's what it seems like. I can't find anything different from the current posted instructions. I guess 2015 has some annoying changes, and this carries over for the F16 as well. Sorry, brother. I guess take it to the dealer or some place that does stuff like this for cheap, and see if they will show you (if you're close to a service guy) how to do it in person?

Maybe try comparing to other BMW installs for some advice/tips that may help:

F25: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=804434
Yeah I just came back from a 3 week vaca and with work, home, and married guy stuff to do hard to work on cars like the younger days lol. Have enough garage space now but time is short! Oh well. Seems like research is what I'll be doing at work tomorrow
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2015, 04:58 PM   #61
BXdriver
Four stripes vehicle commander
Norway
Rep
Drives: 21 BMW X5 45e

I am one of the guys that almost had to visit a mental hospital when trying to exchange the grilles.
I got so darn pi**ed off, because my thinking was that something so easy - could not be that hard.

But, OK - even I managed after my third try...
And then - I saw it as quite easy too. Huh.

I have let out a lot of frustration in this thread:
http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...hlight=grilles

My way was to REMOVE THE GRILLE FRAME/RING SEPARATELY FIRST.
That is the hard thing.
The later step to actually snap out the rib-unit is very obvious and easy because you can then see the clips for that unit
To put in the new grilles are equally simple, and then the whole unit/grille can be complete. Push it straight inn, and you hear snap-snap and you're done.

You will need a thin tool, like long screwdriver, lets say no more than ca 1,5mm in diameter.
Lay your new grilles down and look at the actual locations of the clips (so you can see between which ribs they are located).
The 3 last clips on the underside need just a little press from the tool to come loose. No dangerous "plastic cracking" sound should be necessary.
Pull gently with your free hand from the outside.

You may also try to split the new ones you have first - as a test on how to do it.

Best
Bent

Last edited by BXdriver; 01-12-2015 at 12:19 PM.. Reason: More typos...
Appreciate 2
      01-11-2015, 05:04 PM   #62
Taran.J
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BXdriver
I am one the guys that almost had to visit a mental hospital when trying to exchange the grilles.
I got so darn pi**ed off, because my thinking was that something so easy - could not be that hard.

But, OK - even I managed after my third try...
And then - I saw it as quite easy too. Huh.

I have let out a lot of frustration in this thread:
http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...hlight=grilles

My way was to REMOVE THE GRILLE FRAME/RING SEPARATELY FIRST.
That is the hard thing.
The later step to actually snap out the rib-unit is very obvious and easy because you can then see the clips for that unit
To put in the new grilles are equally simple, and then the whole unit/grille can be complete. Push it straight inn, and you hear snap-snap and you're done.

You will need a thin tool, like long screwdriver, lets say no more than ca 1,5mm in diameter.
Lay your new grilles down and look at the actual locations of the clips (so you can see between which ribs they are located).
The 3 last clips on the underside need just a little press from the tool to come loose. No dangerous "plastic cracking" sound should be necessary.
Pull gently with your free hand from the outside.

You may also try to split the new ones you have first - as a test on how to do it.

Best
Bent
I'll give it a try thanks. If not taking a drill bit on a dremel straight to these suckers :
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2015, 05:13 PM   #63
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I'll give it a try thanks. If not taking a drill bit on a dremel straight to these suckers :
As long as you aren't doing anything like this : https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=wxaFZ57rWUw
      01-12-2015, 11:59 AM   #64
Taran.J
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
As long as you aren't doing anything like this : https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=wxaFZ57rWUw
No joke but that's what I feel like doing when trying to take these off when it's been as easy as grip and pull on BMW's for the past 15 years for me.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2015, 12:52 PM   #65
delviacv2
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 50i & 2015 535d

Quote:
This dickhead sticker was on my windshield. Guess bmw isn't messing around with their "Warranty" and my radar will screw up their electrical system

Not sure how I feel about this. One hand warranty is needed that's why I bought a new car. Second even though by law we are protected to run aftermarket parts and equipment I feel like even without explanation the dealers can now void the warranty because it was wired into their cars electrical system. Only way around this is to put an aux battery in the boot for the radar lol
they have this in most bimmers cars my 07 4.8i had this and my 2011 X5 35d has it too
2014 X5 50i Carbon Black/ M Sport
-BM3 Stage 1
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2015, 01:04 PM   #66
Taran.J
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by delviacv2
Quote:

they have this in most bimmers cars my 07 4.8i had this and my 2011 X5 35d has it too
My 07 328 or 08 M3 didn't have them or they removed them at delivery
Appreciate 0