BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-04-2017, 08:52 PM   #89
five_timer
no turbo, no auto, no iDrive, no kidding
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

Vettel did get a penalty, which cost him the win or even a podium. I think the actual contact was unintentional, just as much as was Hamilton's slowing.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2017, 09:27 PM   #90
Bartledoo
Driver
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by five_timer View Post
Vettel did get a penalty, which cost him the win or even a podium. I think the actual contact was unintentional, just as much as was Hamilton's slowing.
I watched it a few more times and I'm 99.9% sure it was intentional... And I laughed.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2017, 06:22 AM   #91
BimmerLO
Rep
Drives: best car

it was great!
      07-05-2017, 02:33 PM   #92
sirdaft1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 & E90 WTCC Widebody Racecar

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksteckba View Post
I watched it a few more times and I'm 99.9% sure it was intentional... And I laughed.
Seb fell asleep and got caught napping. End of story. Vettel even admitted that Hamilton slowed down in that same corner every time in the earlier caution laps.

Remember, the pace car was running 20 seconds a lap slower than it should have been. Hamilton was continuously on the radio about the slow pace speed leading to tire temp issues all race. That said, imagine hitting 200mph and then having to brake like your life depended on it coming into turn 1 with COLD tires (if you haven't tried going 100% through a turn with cold tires, you probably haven't had a code brown moment! - let alone after braking from 200mph!?). That said, it would only make sense to get as much heat in your tires prior to entering that long straight. TADA... this was exactly where this "incident" took place at turn 15 leading to that last zone to improve tire temps. I see zero mishaps with Hamilton's behavior.

That said, I believe that Vettel did not intentionally run into Hamilton. I think he pulled along side of him, raised his hand to show some "emotion" and while looking that way; he unintentionally steered into him (ever lean down to grab something in the car and accidentally swerve?). It should never have happened in the first place; and he's rightly at fault. But I don't think he intentionally made contact with Hamilton.

Regardless, my hat goes off to Bottas. One of the best drives I've ever seen. Down a lap and in last place to 2nd(!) in the last couple hundred feet. Incredible drive. And I'm calling it now that RAI is out and Verstappen may very well be wearing red next year
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2017, 05:54 PM   #93
jkoral
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirdaft1 View Post
Remember, the pace car was running 20 seconds a lap slower than it should have been. Hamilton was continuously on the radio about the slow pace speed leading to tire temp issues all race.
In all these discussions, very few people seem to reference the fact that the team *told* Hamilton he needed to slow the field down more after the first restart because he came close to catching the safety car before the line (even though he doesn't believe it).

Over the radio:

To Hamilton: "OK Lewis that was pretty close on that last restart"
Hamilton: "Close to what?"
To Hamilton: "The Safety Car, and Safety Car Line One"
Hamilton: "Trust me, it wasn’t"

Article 39.8 of the Sporting Regulations states: “No driver may overtake another car on the track, including the Safety Car, until he passes the first Safety Car Line for the first time when the Safety Car is returning to the pits.”

They had lots of problems on the Baku restarts last year in GP2 for the *exact* same reason, causing crashes (and resulting in race bans), with drivers calling for a change in restarts at Baku:
https://www.motorsport.com/fia-f2/ne...ku-789878/?s=1

Last edited by jkoral; 07-05-2017 at 10:26 PM..
Appreciate 2
sirdaft12193.50
wdb4673.00
      07-05-2017, 09:48 PM   #94
Bartledoo
Driver
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirdaft1 View Post

That said, I believe that Vettel did not intentionally run into Hamilton. I think he pulled along side of him, raised his hand to show some "emotion" and while looking that way; he unintentionally steered into him (ever lean down to grab something in the car and accidentally swerve?). It should never have happened in the first place; and he's rightly at fault. But I don't think he intentionally made contact with Hamilton.
I honestly thought the same thing may be possible. In fact, I started typing a similar response...but then I rewatched it a few more times from all angles. You can see him looking over with his hand up while slightly gliding towards Hamilton, and then he makes a clear change in direction to a more aggressive angle towards Hamilton.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2017, 01:46 AM   #95
rcracin
Major
Rep
Drives: M3

Lol Vettel accidentally tilted his wheel into Ham? Must be so hard for formula 1 champions to drive with one hand while using the other hand for another purpose. You know, like trying to fix a headrest while going 200mph down the straight then braking hard and still holding the wheel straight.

Real "accidental swerve".
Appreciate 2
cngo56.00
wdb4673.00