BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-16-2017, 05:54 PM   #1
superdog
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 50i M Sport

A Fond Farewell

I've mentioned a few times that I'm not good at keeping cars very long. It's a hobby that keeps on taking. Bang head.

But I do enjoy it.

Anyway, shockingly my accountant suggested, based on new driving habits that a lease could be beneficial.

So I sold my X5 and leased a RRS Autobiography. First personal lease ever. Not totally comfortable with it.

I debated the X5M which I love, but wanted a true hybrid in terms of ability. I like the enhanced snow functionality of the RR. So I lost a slight bit of performance.

For sure, it's not even as sporty as my X5 M sport with DHP. That thing took turns like nobody's business. But the 510 hp is nice on the highway.

And I do really like the off-road, snow, sport, luxury, power combo.

Anyway, loved my X5 and wish all you guys miles and miles of driving joy.

Be well.
Appreciate 3
JustChris17487.50
1230vani652.50
iconoclast7265.50
      09-17-2017, 07:16 AM   #2
Wardman
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F15 X5d

Love the interior of the RRS. Neighbor has one and the seats are a great combo of sport and comfort!
Appreciate 1
iconoclast7265.50
      09-17-2017, 08:33 AM   #3
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

the "sport" in range rover sport is almost sarcastic especially on the L320 but as you said it is a very good combination of performance and practicality.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2017, 09:20 AM   #4
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Congrats! I've never leased, but often wonder what the tipping point is when it starts making sense. Congrats on the new vehicle!
Appreciate 1
iconoclast7265.50
      09-17-2017, 02:09 PM   #5
superdog
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardman View Post
Love the interior of the RRS. Neighbor has one and the seats are a great combo of sport and comfort!
I got a pretty basic interior, all things considered.

And it's extremely sturdy and luxurious. It's very nice.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2017, 02:15 PM   #6
superdog
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post
the "sport" in range rover sport is almost sarcastic especially on the L320 but as you said it is a very good combination of performance and practicality.
Well, I suppose Sport in comparison to what? The full size? Definitely sporty.

My X5 had the M suspension and DHP. My assumption is that it was a big reason it handled so very well.

The RRS unquestionably drives better. The tranny is way smoother and it's gently always seeking to pull. I've not even come close to opening her up yet. But I had a 16, so I'm familiar.

The exhaust is very throaty and robust. The bright red brakes were not my choice. I checked off black in my build. They did it red anyway. But sporty they are. And very effective.

On turns it's like a boat. So very much less sporty than my trade in. But it's s nice balance of a lot of things.

I'll always have fond memories of my X5. Gorgeous. Sporty. All around awesome.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2017, 02:23 PM   #7
superdog
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
Congrats! I've never leased, but often wonder what the tipping point is when it starts making sense. Congrats on the new vehicle!
I'm still not comfortable leasing. But I imagine I'll get used to it. It's only been a day or so. But I don't like it, logically.

I tend to drive 20,000 plus a year. So the mile limitation was always the toad in the road.

But I recently picked up a few F150's for my office. We wrapped them up, and I drive one daily. It cuts down on my miles significantly. And they are 100% write off as they are 100% a work tool.

So now as I drive much less in my own vehicle, but still use it for work, a lease write off is excellent in comparison to simply taking advantage of depreciation for my purchased X5.

I get a check back as I owned my X5 (granted with a big 1st year hit), a new fun car, and a good business write off.

I'm very debt averse, so Im going to have to adjust. But I factored in some math and my enjoyment of the process and decided to feel it out. Now I e actually got to own it for 39 months. That's probably a good thing for me.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2017, 04:56 PM   #8
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
I'm still not comfortable leasing. But I imagine I'll get used to it. It's only been a day or so. But I don't like it, logically.

I tend to drive 20,000 plus a year. So the mile limitation was always the toad in the road.

But I recently picked up a few F150's for my office. We wrapped them up, and I drive one daily. It cuts down on my miles significantly. And they are 100% write off as they are 100% a work tool.

So now as I drive much less in my own vehicle, but still use it for work, a lease write off is excellent in comparison to simply taking advantage of depreciation for my purchased X5.

I get a check back as I owned my X5 (granted with a big 1st year hit), a new fun car, and a good business write off.

I'm very debt averse, so Im going to have to adjust. But I factored in some math and my enjoyment of the process and decided to feel it out. Now I e actually got to own it for 39 months. That's probably a good thing for me.
Looks like you do the math just like I do. Leasing it definitely a good way if you're going to write it off through the business. Enjoy!
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2017, 04:56 PM   #9
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
Well, I suppose Sport in comparison to what? The full size?
Exactly... It's sportier compared to the full fat counterpart but in comparison to it's german rivals with proper suspension options it falls short however that being said RR does high output better SUV than anyone else because they are not driver's cars they are for passengers. The transmission shifts smoother, the power comes on smoother, the seats and seating position are more accommodating. You name it they have it covered.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2017, 08:23 PM   #10
DuSh
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 50i

OP you had 50i with DHP? Man, there's nothing in this world yet that can beat that combo of handling/dynamics/price/style. Nothing.

That been said, I understand you and agree that lease is the way to go when considering European luxury cars. Less issues and headaches to worry about and you get to enjoy new cars every 2-3 years - nice eh?

Enjoy your RRS and come back in 3 years for a new x5
Appreciate 1
HomeIn2326.00
      09-18-2017, 07:43 AM   #11
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuSh View Post
Man, there's nothing in this world yet that can beat that combo of handling/dynamics/price/style. Nothing.
X5M
Appreciate 2
Violator4587.50
DuSh2113.50
      09-18-2017, 10:09 AM   #12
DuSh
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
X5M
Well, I agree, but that would be a different price
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2017, 12:15 PM   #13
superdog
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
X5M
I thought very seriously about it. Considering I got the autobiography, the cost is not all that far apart.

But I wanted greater off road and snow capability. Let's be real, not going off road. But I do have to drive rain, or snow or shine.

All in all. I'm quite happy with this decision.

The main loss is the unbelievable corners of the X5.

And I loved my ride. But this RRS is outrageous.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2017, 02:58 PM   #14
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

I am a huge RR fan and they do things very well. My comment was towards DuSH becuase he said nothing can beat the 50i in terms of performance and handling so I said X5M.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2017, 06:14 PM   #15
superdog
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I am a huge RR fan and they do things very well. My comment was towards DuSH becuase he said nothing can beat the 50i in terms of performance and handling so I said X5M.
I knew it brother. I was just moved by the conversation. And love the X5M. Hard not too.

I love this type of talk.

Great post above too. I agree with everything you say.
Appreciate 1
iconoclast7265.50
      09-18-2017, 10:24 PM   #16
DuSh
Colonel
Rep

(Start of rant)
Not trying to be a douchebag here, but just to explain why I said what I said. I'm a science type of guy and i love logic. I always try to put things together that are logically connected. Software programmer guys can probably understand me better. Sometimes I feel that people don't always pay attention to details or logic, but rather operate on emotional component. Not saying it's wrong, but I just want to clarify myself, as i feel if some logical bit of info is missed - it changes outcome

I've read recently some road and track article that basically stated that (and I'm paraphrasing here) BMW started to lose it's dominance in most of models to its competitors (mainly due to caving in for market demands and getting away from hardcore M cars and Ultimate Driving Machines and towards softer cars - exactly what new market wants), but the only M model that is still "king" so to speak among its direct competitors is X5M. This was an expert opinion, not my opinion. However, I kinda agree, Audi has nothing against X5M. Mercedes has something, but still nothing as good as X5M. Porsche is strong with Cayenne Turbo S, but that's different price bracket. Every other manufacturer fails short when it comes to competing with X5M (UK, Japanese or domestic USA). They all fail in one way or another (be it money or not as good performance)

Anyway, my point is that X5 50i with DHP is as close to X5M as it gets for less money - hence why I said - hard to find anything on the market that can beat X5 50i DHP for the money. If money wasn't a part of equation - I would have put at least 2 other cars that are better than X5 50i DHP or even X5M (end of rant)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuSh View Post
OP you had 50i with DHP? Man, there's nothing in this world yet that can beat that combo of handling/dynamics/price/style. Nothing.

Last edited by DuSh; 09-18-2017 at 10:37 PM..
Appreciate 1
iconoclast7265.50