BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

09-19-2017, 08:09 AM   #1
expidia
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 35i

Tips on cleaning the glass?

After I wash the X5 and even though I squeegee quickly and especially in the warmer weather I get instant spots. And our water is not all that hard.

Short of coating the windows (I may have to go that route) I was using cheap paper towels. I bought a better quality bounty brand and they are holding up pretty good.

But the spray I bought at Walmart was a 22 oz Armor All for $2.99 and leaves the glass streaky just like windex does. Might be because the concentrated cheap blue coral car soap leaves a slight shine behind.

I've read some use microfiber clothes. I have a dozen but unless they are squeaky clean, they smear the windows too.

I started a previous thread awhile back talking about I won't use rain X anymore because it beads water fine (I've never tried aquapel) but Im sure it does the same. Rain X makes bug splats 3 times larger and then you turn wipers on and its a streaking mess. I might use it again on my side and back windows though.
Rain X makes the rubber blades chatter too. Coatings might do the same and make bug splats bigger too.

I was thinking of trying Menzerno power lock sealant on the windshield?
I have two cars and wash the X5 twice a week, so I'm trying to come up with the fastest method.

It's also amazing how quickly the inside windows get dirty. I remember my brother in law would never open his windows while driving and he was right. As soon as I drive around with the windows open, the windows get dirty inside

What products do you use and whats your best method for doing your windows.
i.e. microfiber cloth, paper towels, coating etc.

Also, what car soap do you use?

Last edited by expidia; 09-19-2017 at 08:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2017, 08:56 AM   #2
SCA
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Multiple BMWs

For windows:

Using Gyeon Bathe & Bathe+ for shampoo.

Bathe:

Bathe+:
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2017, 09:00 AM   #3
DuSh
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 50i

I feel so old lol, I just use newspapers and a glass cleaner
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2017, 09:33 AM   #4
Yaw
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Many

Old and wise.
Appreciate 1
DuSh2112.50
      09-19-2017, 09:45 AM   #5
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

I use Stoners for the windows, and it works quite well. You have to use clean microfibers that are made for doing the windows. If you use regular microfibers with a long or thick nap, you're in for a very frustrating time.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2017, 10:04 AM   #6
SCA
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
I use Stoners for the windows, and it works quite well. You have to use clean microfibers that are made for doing the windows. If you use regular microfibers with a long or thick nap, you're in for a very frustrating time.
Stoners Invisable Glass is a good product. It was my go to until recently.

+1 re the microfibers.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2017, 12:02 PM   #7
Habs11
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i

Quote:
Knowledge filled this man is.
Appreciate 1
P111541.50
      09-19-2017, 12:19 PM   #8
expidia
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCA View Post
Stoners Invisable Glass is a good product. It was my go to until recently.

+1 re the microfibers.
Thx for those replies. I just ordered 12 low nap window microfiber towels (thx p1et) and a bottle of the gyeon bath (not the plus) as i like to finish off with a detailing spray to bring out more gloss on jet black. Also a bottle of gyeon glass. That bath soap is expensive for soap. I hope its very concentrated for only 400 ml. The blue coral cheapo stuff is concentrated and good for 100 washes but i think the wax in it for an after shine was not mixing well with the mcguires detailing spray.
Awaiting optimum bottle of spray detailer and a bottle of blackfire white diamond to compare to see which i like better.
Appreciate 1
P111541.50
      09-19-2017, 12:20 PM   #9
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3m40i

+1 Stoners Invisible Glass (when I can grab it back from wife, she stole my bottles because she loves using them around house).
      09-19-2017, 12:22 PM   #10
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

i think most important thing is to start with a clean glass. So I would run a clay bar on it.

Also, why worry so much about keeping the glass clean? The front fascia of the car, including the windshield, by function will always be dirty, just like a hooker's face. It's impossible to keep it clean.
      09-19-2017, 12:28 PM   #11
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by expidia View Post
Thx for those replies. I just ordered 12 low nap window microfiber towels (thx p1et) and a bottle of the gyeon bath (not the plus) as i like to finish off with a detailing spray to bring out more gloss on jet black. Also a bottle of gyeon glass. That bath soap is expensive for soap. I hope its very concentrated for only 400 ml. The blue coral cheapo stuff is concentrated and good for 100 washes but i think the wax in it for an after shine was not mixing well with the mcguires detailing spray.
Awaiting optimum bottle of spray detailer and a bottle of blackfire white diamond to compare to see which i like better.
My favorite car wash soap by miles is Duragloss 901. I personally 902 (the gallon version). I have three cars that I wash and it lasts me over a year.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2017, 12:29 PM   #12
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
i think most important thing is to start with a clean glass. So I would run a clay bar on it.

Also, why worry so much about keeping the glass clean? The front fascia of the car, including the windshield, by function will always be dirty, just like a hooker's face. It's impossible to keep it clean.
Clay bar, and perhaps run a light polish over it (by hand, no machine).
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2017, 03:26 PM   #13
expidia
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post

I find the hatch on an SUV to always be the dirtiest. And the wheels!
You would think they could make a spoiler of some sort that diverts the air flow down over the hatch to keep it cleaner
      09-19-2017, 03:28 PM   #14
expidia
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
My favorite car wash soap by miles is Duragloss 901. I personally 902 (the gallon version). I have three cars that I wash and it lasts me over a year.
I've used duragloss detailing products. I've always liked most of them. I'll keep the carwash one in mind when I re-order since the gyeon bath is so expensive.
P111541.50
      09-19-2017, 03:31 PM   #15
expidia
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Clay bar, and perhaps run a light polish over it (by hand, no machine).
I do have the nanoskin claybar mitt that I prep the paint with. The windows not dirty its the water spots that form so quickly. I'm trying the gyeon glass spray and see if that speeds the cleaning process up.

I hate going over the glass multiple times due to streaking and smearing.
      09-19-2017, 03:46 PM   #16
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
I do have the nanoskin claybar mitt that I prep the paint with. The windows not dirty its the water spots that form so quickly. I'm trying the gyeon glass spray and see if that speeds the cleaning process up.

I hate going over the glass multiple times due to streaking and smearing.
It sounds like what you really need is a CR Spotless. You won't even need to dry your vehicle anymore. I've used them when I used to detail cars back in the day, and you truly have to see it to believe it. I washed a Ford GT once, in the full Texas sun (100F) at a house in the country with extremely hard water. I washed it, rinsed it, and walked away. Came back 20 minutes later and it was bone dry without a spot to be found anywhere. Not the cheapest solution around, but certainly the least frustrating.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2017, 04:39 PM   #17
SCA
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
a bottle of the gyeon bath (not the plus) as i like to finish off with a detailing spray to bring out more gloss on jet black. Also a bottle of gyeon glass. That bath soap is expensive for soap. I hope its very concentrated for only 400 ml.
FYI, Most of Gyeon’s product line is available on Amazon via Gyeon’s North American distributor.

Gyeon Bathe+ as well as Gyeon Wet Coat will add gloss, hydrophobic properties, and self-cleaning effects.

Last edited by SCA; 09-19-2017 at 04:54 PM..
Appreciate 1
expidia161.50
      09-19-2017, 06:22 PM   #18
expidia
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
It sounds like what you really need is a CR Spotless. You won't even need to dry your vehicle anymore. I've used them when I used to detail cars back in the day, and you truly have to see it to believe it. I washed a Ford GT once, in the full Texas sun (100F) at a house in the country with extremely hard water. I washed it, rinsed it, and walked away. Came back 20 minutes later and it was bone dry without a spot to be found anywhere. Not the cheapest solution around, but certainly the least frustrating.
Ya, i looked into that. Its not the cost of the unit that adds up its the re-charging. Plus i rent and wouldn't look forward to pulling it in and out of basement especially that double canister model. If i owned id use a culligan water softner and connect it to a pressure washer.
On boat docks the "Wet Spot" units are common, but expensive to recharge.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2017, 07:58 PM   #19
expidia
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuSh View Post
I feel so old lol, I just use newspapers and a glass cleaner
You "must" be old! Who buys newspapers anymore? When you are reading a newspaper its old news that was printed last night

Reading news on a smart phone is "instant news" and free
      09-19-2017, 11:51 PM   #20
leasehackr
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5, 530e

Quote:
Did you order from Amazon?

Looks like I need all of their products for my new on order 2018 40e.

http://gyeonquartzusa.com/products-list/
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2017, 06:42 AM   #21
expidia
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infosec View Post
Did you order from Amazon?

Looks like I need all of their products for my new on order 2018 40e.

http://gyeonquartzusa.com/products-list/
amazon, yes. Its the easiest to get detailing products from and ships 2 day free with prime.
      09-20-2017, 07:22 AM   #22
Habs11
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i

Quote:
You "must" be old! Who buys newspapers anymore? When you are reading a newspaper its old news that was printed last night

Reading news on a smart phone is "instant news" and free
Didn't that instant news cost you with a $600 piece of hardware?

Did someone mentions above they clar bar a hookers face? Does that cost extra?

For those of us that do not spend $100s each year in products (I have used Zaino and loved it but I'm out atm) I find that when doing one last final rinse after washing I take my sprayer off my hose and just let the water flow out naturally. In sections, let the water hit from high to low - leaves you with very little water spots.
Appreciate 0