BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-04-2019, 08:18 PM   #1
Speenybean
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 15’ Xdrive 50i

BootMod3

So could anyone tell me the difference between purchasing a license for BM3 from protuning freaks as opposed to sending my DME's out to BPC in Raleigh NC? I read a lot from @dush and I'm curious what the difference would. Supposedly pro tuning freaks states you don't have to send your dme. Thanks for help
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2019, 09:14 PM   #2
mrod81
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speenybean View Post
So could anyone tell me the difference between purchasing a license for BM3 from protuning freaks as opposed to sending my DME's out to BPC in Raleigh NC? I read a lot from @dush and I'm curious what the difference would. Supposedly pro tuning freaks states you don't have to send your dme. Thanks for help
That's correct I went with bootmod3 and I did it myself. In 10 minutes I was up and speeding down the freeway w my MPE burbling and popping everywhere...it's awesome.
You can have someone do a completely custom tune after you get it or stick with the OTS maps which are awesome. As soon as I get a charge pipe I'm moving up to stage 2. With stage one it's definitely faster than the MPPK...I can't say if it's faster than the piggyback systems because I've never tried them but definitely faster than the MPPK for half the price.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2019, 09:28 PM   #3
Speenybean
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 15’ Xdrive 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrod81 View Post
Quote:
That's correct I went with bootmod3 and I did it myself. In 10 minutes I was up and speeding down the freeway w my MPE burbling and popping everywhere...it's awesome.
You can have someone do a completely custom tune after you get it or stick with the OTS maps which are awesome. As soon as I get a charge pipe I'm moving up to stage 2. With stage one it's definitely faster than the MPPK...I can't say if it's faster than the piggyback systems because I've never tried them but definitely faster than the MPPK for half the price.
Quote:
Quote:
I have a 50i not a 35i
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2019, 03:39 AM   #4
mrod81
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F15

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I have a 50i not a 35i
And?
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2019, 08:30 AM   #5
mikew2069
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 335i MSport

Quote:
I have a 50i not a 35i
Same. BM3, FTW!
2016 F15 50i ///M-Sport
BM3/H&R/Borla
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2019, 04:27 PM   #6
Rotzy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F15, 2015 F83

Garage List
Quote:
They are two different tuning companies. Before BM3 (and a few other companies) figured out how to unlock the DMEs remotely, you had to send them in to be manually unlocked. Some companies (like BPC) still do not have the ability to unlock remotely. BM3 is the way to go these days. There are multiple OTS options, awesome customer service and the ability to purchase a custom tune from any number of tuners. Additionally, I have had good luck with ProTuningFreaks tweaking their OTS tunes for my vehicle after I did some logging and sent them my logs.

Quote:
I have a 50i not a 35i
While his comments about the MPE and MPPK are specific to the 35i, mrod81's comments about BM3 are spot on.
mrod81207.50
norcalM12.00
      10-09-2019, 08:24 AM   #7
eldogo
Lieutenant
Tanzania
Rep
Drives: BMW 328xi BMW X5 F15 BMW M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
So which tune is better, MPPK or Bootmod3? Ive seen reviews on x5M's and 50's, but not 35's.

Im really curious to know if the cost of the MPPK makes it better than BM3 power and smoothness wise.
      10-09-2019, 08:37 AM   #8
Rotzy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F15, 2015 F83

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by eldogo View Post
So which tune is better, MPPK or Bootmod3? Ive seen reviews on x5M's and 50's, but not 35's.

Im really curious to know if the cost of the MPPK makes it better than BM3 power and smoothness wise.
For power, BM3 will produce wayyyyy more than the MPPK and for a fraction of the cost. However, if warranty is a concern, you may want to stick with MPPK.
      10-09-2019, 08:44 AM   #9
eldogo
Lieutenant
Tanzania
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotzy View Post
Quote:

For power, BM3 will produce wayyyyy more than the MPPK and for a fraction of the cost. However, if warranty is a concern, you may want to stick with MPPK.
Thanks for the input. I've heard a lot about the warranty argument, but what harm can BM3 do? Especially if you can flash it back to stock when you need to claim any warranty fixes?

I'm under warranty, but really considering BM3.

Question, does BM3 work with RC?
      10-09-2019, 09:56 AM   #10
blakedunc235
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
Is there any reason to even get MPPK? I know that it supposedly effects the pedal feel and the burbling of the exhaust, but do you know if those are included in any of the other tunes? I tend to see a bunch of people with tunes on top of the MPPK. I really want the sound as well for my setup.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2019, 12:13 PM   #11
pennsiveguy
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 xDrive50i M-sport

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks for the input. I've heard a lot about the warranty argument, but what harm can BM3 do? Especially if you can flash it back to stock when you need to claim any warranty fixes?

The issue with warranty coverage is that if you bring your vehicle - doesn't matter which engine - in for a repair during warranty, BMW can interrogate the DME for runtime data. Flashing back to stock doesn't remove any runtime data. If they see anything that's above the stock parameters - more boost than stock, higher RPMs than stock, more ignition advance, higher top speed, etc. - they can rightfully claim that you've altered the vehicle and can thus deny warranty coverage for anything that might have been affected by your alterations. Supposedly, it's out of the hands of the dealer, so even if you have a great relationship with your SA and your dealer, they take their orders from BMWNA and the mothership in Munich and your claim will be denied.

It's fair, if you think about it. You assume risk when you make any alterations which might affect reliability/durability. If you want to play, you gotta pay.
      10-09-2019, 12:34 PM   #12
eldogo
Lieutenant
Tanzania
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennsiveguy View Post
Quote:

The issue with warranty coverage is that if you bring your vehicle - doesn't matter which engine - in for a repair during warranty, BMW can interrogate the DME for runtime data. Flashing back to stock doesn't remove any runtime data. If they see anything that's above the stock parameters - more boost than stock, higher RPMs than stock, more ignition advance, higher top speed, etc. - they can rightfully claim that you've altered the vehicle and can thus deny warranty coverage for anything that might have been affected by your alterations. Supposedly, it's out of the hands of the dealer, so even if you have a great relationship with your SA and your dealer, they take their orders from BMWNA and the mothership in Munich and your claim will be denied.

It's fair, if you think about it. You assume risk when you make any alterations which might affect reliability/durability. If you want to play, you gotta pay.
Got it. Thanks!
      10-09-2019, 01:14 PM   #13
pennsiveguy
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
BM3 is the way to go these days. There are multiple OTS options, awesome customer service and the ability to purchase a custom tune from any number of tuners. Additionally, I have had good luck with ProTuningFreaks tweaking their OTS tunes for my vehicle after I did some logging and sent them my logs.
+1

Working with Halim from ProTuningFreaks right now. Just got a new map from him a couple of days ago that's running great, and will probably end up being the new OTS 93 Octane map. I have a lot of confidence in their technical ability and level of service. They've got the market all to themselves, being a complete tune and diagnostics platform. I'm surprised they don't charge higher prices, frankly.
      10-09-2019, 07:28 PM   #14
beats
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 911 GTS

I have had stage 1, now stage 2. Not sure about 1, but 2 you can customize the amount of burble. I have the middle setting and it's more than enough for me. Another benefit of the BM3 is once you buy one, for only $50 more (I think) you can get access to all of their tunes. I'm very happy with the tune. Still trying to get rid of a small exhaust leak from the downpipe though. Never considered the MPPK for the price.

I have the 35i
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2019, 07:41 PM   #15
sj22
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 14 F15 50I

Quote:
+1

Working with Halim from ProTuningFreaks right now. Just got a new map from him a couple of days ago that's running great, and will probably end up being the new OTS 93 Octane map. I have a lot of confidence in their technical ability and level of service. They've got the market all to themselves, being a complete tune and diagnostics platform. I'm surprised they don't charge higher prices, frankly.
I have the OTS 91 map, looking to venture into OTS 93. Did you get a custom map? Any feedback?

Past: 2013 750i xdrive, 2008 535xi
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2019, 12:22 AM   #16
FSociety
IG @bmwF9xG80
Rep
Drives: G80 M3, X4M, G07 X7m50

Garage List
2023 BMW G80 M3  [0.00]
2020 BMW X4MC  [0.00]
16' BMW X4 M40i  [10.00]
06 Cadillac STS  [0.00]
Quote:
+1

+1 Bootmod3 is making us love our BMWs again

IG: @bmwF9XG80

Appreciate 1
      10-10-2019, 09:37 AM   #17
pennsiveguy
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sj22 View Post
I have the OTS 91 map, looking to venture into OTS 93. Did you get a custom map? Any feedback?
I submitted several datalogs after flashing the OTS Stage 1 93 map. Had a few knock detections, which wasn't surprising as ambient temps and IATs were quite high. Halim gave me a diagnostic map to try, and then a revised OTS Stage 1 93 map. Did some logs with the revised map (which Halim says is going to be the new OTS map), and they're cleaner (although I cheated 'cause I had some Boostane in the gas on those runs). Only one knock in a bunch of runs now. No extra charge beyond the purchase price, for any of this. So I feel like I got a great deal.

Car is an absolute monster. I did a roll-on against a brand new Cayenne Turbo on Monday night. From 60 mph to about 110, I left him behind by 3 or 4 car lengths. He paid $50-60K more than I did, and my car's faster...and it doesn't look like a catfish trying to eat a hockey puck. For the price of his car I could have my car plus a Golf R, a case of single-malt scotch, and several dozen massages with happy endings. That's a big win.
      10-10-2019, 09:54 AM   #18
pennsiveguy
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSociety View Post
+1 Bootmod3 is making us love our BMWs again
They sure are in my case. Smoking someone in a spontaneous street race with a sports car is still fun. But smoking them with something that can tow 3 tons and is the size of a dairy barn is a special kind of grin-fest.
      10-10-2019, 10:58 AM   #19
eldogo
Lieutenant
Tanzania
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Are you guys using the wifi unit or laptops for flashing?
      10-10-2019, 12:39 PM   #20
pennsiveguy
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Are you guys using the wifi unit or laptops for flashing?
Just a laptop. If you go that route, set your screensaver delay to 10 or 15 minutes while you're making pulls. Otherwise, at least on my Macbook Pro, when the screensaver comes on, the OBD agent dies and has to be restarted in order to be available to the dashboard and datalogging. Hard to manage that when you're trying to focus on not sucking Priuses into your intake.
      10-10-2019, 01:11 PM   #21
eldogo
Lieutenant
Tanzania
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]

Gotcha!

Quote:
Just a laptop. If you go that route, set your screensaver delay to 10 or 15 minutes while you're making pulls. Otherwise, at least on my Macbook Pro, when the screensaver comes on, the OBD agent dies and has to be restarted in order to be available to the dashboard and datalogging. Hard to manage that when you're trying to focus on not sucking Priuses into your intake.
      10-10-2019, 03:03 PM   #22
CT335xi
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 x5 m50i, 2005 evo 8

Quote:
I submitted several datalogs after flashing the OTS Stage 1 93 map. Had a few knock detections, which wasn't surprising as ambient temps and IATs were quite high. Halim gave me a diagnostic map to try, and then a revised OTS Stage 1 93 map. Did some logs with the revised map (which Halim says is going to be the new OTS map), and they're cleaner (although I cheated 'cause I had some Boostane in the gas on those runs). Only one knock in a bunch of runs now. No extra charge beyond the purchase price, for any of this. So I feel like I got a great deal.

Car is an absolute monster. I did a roll-on against a brand new Cayenne Turbo on Monday night. From 60 mph to about 110, I left him behind by 3 or 4 car lengths. He paid $50-60K more than I did, and my car's faster...and it doesn't look like a catfish trying to eat a hockey puck. For the price of his car I could have my car plus a Golf R, a case of single-malt scotch, and several dozen massages with happy endings. That's a big win.
If he sets your custom tune off of the logs when you ran the Boostane , then he can get it a little more aggressive, but then if you don’t run it you can experience some timing pulls cause of a little knock.
04 325xi, 91 gmc Syclone, 08 335xi, and 13 x3 35i msp
2014 x5 50i msport
Appreciate 0