BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-01-2019, 05:03 PM   #1
deiselpwr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X5 35D M Sport

Wheel got curbed

My dad has my car for the day. Left me with a curbed wheel. It is a 18 X5 M sport with the 20” wheels. Double spoke. They look metal and not painted. But all the shops I call say they will repair and paint. Something seems off. And any luck having wheels repair
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2019, 06:09 PM   #2
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmws

Quote:
Originally Posted by deiselpwr View Post
My dad has my car for the day. Left me with a curbed wheel. It is a 18 X5 M sport with the 20” wheels. Double spoke. They look metal and not painted. But all the shops I call say they will repair and paint. Something seems off. And any luck having wheels repair
Yes it can be refinished but it wont match 100%
When my wife occasionally curbs a wheel I would refinish the other one as well so atleast one side of the car matches
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2019, 06:18 PM   #3
gqgambler
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast & Furious

Quote:
For a quality look, repaint. When they grind out the curb it won't match the finish exactly and you can tell the difference, that's why the paint. Will minimize the difference and provide the best results.
      10-01-2019, 06:32 PM   #4
djrabbi
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 M50i

Unfortunately, you shouldn't give anyone your car lol.

If you are SUPER anal. You will have to get all four done.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2019, 06:39 PM   #5
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmws

Quote:
Originally Posted by gqgambler View Post
For a quality look, repaint. When they grind out the curb it won't match the finish exactly and you can tell the difference, that's why the paint. Will minimize the difference and provide the best results.
+1 remember tho if you repaint you'll lose the factory clearcoat and if the repair place has adding clearcoat as an option make sure there a reputable one or it will start flaking
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2019, 07:13 PM   #6
turboawd
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i

A good wheel repair guy can make it look like new. But they will paint it to mimick the original finish.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2019, 08:36 PM   #7
deiselpwr
Private First Class
Rep

From what I can see the wheels are not painted. they are double spoke M wheels 20”. Looks like aluminum colour. And it is probably the best case scenario as it is so minor. But I’m anal.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2019, 10:20 AM   #8
TOPEC
<3 Flat Four
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335is LM Blue

i too curbed my oem 20" M spot silver wheels and have looked into refinishing the wheel, and i too am anal about it and decided to just leave it. reason being the face of the wheel is a machined raw aluminum finish w/ clear coat, so its impossible to get that same finish without repainting the whole, and other 3 wheels. one needs to strip the clear off the face, grind out and weld the curb marks. the welding material will def be a different color even after machining it flat, and then re clear coat the whole face. just leave it or buy another wheel, but chances are that purchased wheel may be slightly different shade or color as well coming from different production dates.
      10-02-2019, 11:17 AM   #9
deiselpwr
Private First Class
Rep

I have the same problem. So mad right now. Most say they can get it to 95%. But a new wheel is so much money at the dealer. Maybe a wrecker will have one
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2019, 02:22 PM   #10
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
From what I can see the wheels are not painted. they are double spoke M wheels 20”. Looks like aluminum colour. And it is probably the best case scenario as it is so minor. But I’m anal.
The paint is the top coat they put on the wheel after grinding the aluminum finish and polish. The paint they cover it with is a special color that Mimics the cut aluminum face.

I have the same rims as you and the wife has curbed them plenty of times and they have repaired the rims expertly and are not detectable unless your looking for it.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2019, 02:28 PM   #11
jayy178
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe / 2014 535i

I had my Lexus rims repaired which were also an aluminum finish on the edges and I cannot tell the difference from the other wheels. If you go to a reputable shop I think you'll be in good hands
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2019, 02:58 PM   #12
EdgyE36
Wisdom Searcher
Rep
Drives: E39 M5 and E46 M3

If you have a good relationship with your dealer, ask who does wheel work for them. Has worked well for me in past.
      10-02-2019, 04:16 PM   #13
The Libertine
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Porsche Macan

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdgyE36 View Post
If you have a good relationship with your dealer, ask who does wheel work for them. Has worked well for me in past.
That’s what I would suggest.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2019, 05:02 PM   #14
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by -c- View Post
Quote:
From what I can see the wheels are not painted. they are double spoke M wheels 20". Looks like aluminum colour. And it is probably the best case scenario as it is so minor. But I'm anal.
The paint is the top coat they put on the wheel after grinding the aluminum finish and polish. The paint they cover it with is a special color that Mimics the cut aluminum face.

I have the same rims as you and the wife has curbed them plenty of times and they have repaired the rims expertly and are not detectable unless your looking for it.
Lol you said this 3x.
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2019, 07:59 PM   #15
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverik259 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
From what I can see the wheels are not painted. they are double spoke M wheels 20". Looks like aluminum colour. And it is probably the best case scenario as it is so minor. But I'm anal.

Lol you said this 3x.
I know my phone totally bugged out!!! I'll delete.

The app has been super buggy lately.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2019, 09:58 AM   #16
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverik259 View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Lol you said this 3x.
I know my phone totally bugged out!!! I'll delete.

The app has been super buggy lately.
Ya one of the worst forum apps I've ever used.
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2019, 11:48 AM   #17
deiselpwr
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

So you had you damage cleaned up then painted to match the aluminum colour? One place wants to put the wheel on a lathe and skim the entire wheel and then clear coat.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2019, 12:31 PM   #18
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

So you had you damage cleaned up then painted to match the aluminum colour? One place wants to put the wheel on a lathe and skim the entire wheel and then clear coat.
You have two options. They can recut the whole face, they have a computer controlled Laith that recuts the new section down a few MM's but it will look like an OEM mirror cut finish, if their good. And clear the whole rim, this is the most complete way to do it right but also cost the most.

Then theirs the spot repair. If I had a 16 year old learning to drive or you have a wife who drives like mine does ..... I love you honey!!!! I'd go this route,
It fixes it to a point where it's not noticeable and looks good and keeps the wheels aluminum from tarnishing and the finish from peeling. It's the cheapest route. The paint they use is like a pearl clear and simulates the mirror cut aluminum finish from the polished repaired aluminum.

The other issue is damage depth, if it's to deep they can't cut the whole face down. Not good for the integrity of the wheel. That's where localized grinding is ok. But if it's light recutting the aluminum is best if they do it right. I'd ask to look at their samples first before doing this.

Some wheel repair places Laith the rim but do not possess the know how to recreate the OEM mirror cut finish. You will then have one wheel with a completely different look than the other ones. Darker or lighter depending on their cut. This is where spot repair is a quick easy fix and guarantees you won't run into this issue.

Do your research and ask for images of similar fixes, They should be able to give you that at a minimum.

Also ask about warranty. Some won't warranty their work and within a year the two clear coats can separate leaving your wheel looking worse than having curb rash.

Proper places use clear coats that bite into and become one with the OEM clear and you'll never have an issue.
Appreciate 1
      10-09-2019, 03:10 PM   #19
alphaod
Mmmmm…
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15

Garage List
When I was young I drove my parents' cars, my dad would never let me forget I curbed this or that wheel. I still get shit for it.

Unfortunately unless you redo all the wheels it'll never look the same.
HJ478.00
      10-10-2019, 02:46 AM   #20
cbarden
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M5

I agree that it is repairable but finding a reputable wheel repair shop can be a tedious task.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2019, 11:37 AM   #21
JCF15X5
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X5 M SPORT

powder coating rim repair - I had my redone before on my black wheels. Look like brand new.
Appreciate 0