BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-24-2019, 06:55 PM   #1
dadzer
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5M60

Brake fluid leak at ABS block

This is a strange one. Brake system warning message and lights came on Saturday morning when I started out with my 2017 X-5 (30,000 miles on odo). I pulled over, restarted and everything was okay, then 5 miles down the road, lights and warnings came back on. We are in the mountains 1,000 miles from home and 260 miles over more mountains to the nearest dealer.

Called BMW Roadside assist and talked with master technician. He uploaded data and it had thrown a code indicating the brake fluid was at minimum level. He said everything else looked good. I couldn't see any fluid leaks underneath so he suggested it may just be low on fluid and to ad fluid as soon as I could and to keep an eye on it.

Didn't go anywhere Sunday as the only parts store in town was closed and we are 60 miles from the next large town.

This morning, when looking under the hood, I discovered what appeared to be leaks from the lines going into the ABS block. Pictures attached. I called tech back and tech walked me thru tightening the compression fittings. I was able to tighten the two center ones and found the two outside ones already tight. I added dot4 brake fluid, pressure tested the connections with repeated full pressure on brake pedal and cleaned everything with Simple Green. This appears to have solved the problem.

Tech said he worked in a dealership for 11 years and 4 years at BMW USA and has never seen this. I have an appointment at my dealership to check it out when I return.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 07:06 PM   #2
menelaos
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 F15

Quite an adventure, thanks for sharing.
I guess we need to carry brake fluid and adjustable wrench, among others.
Glad everything is OK now!
Appreciate 0