BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-15-2019, 09:04 PM   #23
nakamuru
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: mazda3, vw passat, suzuki vita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russmov View Post
I understand about the self conscious part. Just remember, they won't be paying your bills, you will. So you need to make the best decision for you. Just my two cents. Lol
Yeah sometimes competition and comparing is good where it gets your lazy ass off the sofa. But mostly it's not pretty and endless and brings more division then unity. Keeping up the joneses lol. Anyways, I'll just have to find what is right and it. All bmw's are great so can't go wrong whichever. Maybe ill go to cx5 too and research that as well.
Appreciate 1
Russmov1328.00
      06-15-2019, 09:10 PM   #24
Russmov
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 xDrive 35i

Garage List
2015 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nakamuru View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russmov View Post
I understand about the self conscious part. Just remember, they won't be paying your bills, you will. So you need to make the best decision for you. Just my two cents. Lol
Yeah sometimes competition and comparing is good where it gets your lazy ass off the sofa. But mostly it's not pretty and endless and brings more division then unity. Keeping up the joneses lol. Anyways, I'll just have to find what is right and it. All bmw's are great so can't go wrong whichever. Maybe ill go to cx5 too and research that as well.
Very true. Do your research, test drive different brands and see what fits you best! Whether BMW or other, update this thread with your decision. Interested in what you decide. Good luck with your decision!
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2019, 11:40 AM   #25
RED_Y_
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 3.5d

Quote:
In todays market I would check the diesel CX-5, looks very interesting to me.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2019, 12:59 PM   #26
nakamuru
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED_Y_ View Post
In todays market I would check the diesel CX-5, looks very interesting to me.
Heard diesel engines last longer.. So trucks who have diesel can last really long. Is there short answer to this? Is it the diesel gas ?
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2019, 04:14 PM   #27
RED_Y_
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Gas is gas, diesel fuel is diesel fuel. Generally speaking- yes diesel lasts longer and gets way better mileage.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2019, 07:03 PM   #28
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Curious why you're even comparing X5 to X1. As some one briefly mentioned they're 2 completely different vehicles. Different class, different role, different purpose. We can't pick that for you. You need to know what you want.

If it's an entry level "luxury" suv then I would not get an X1. Nothing luxury or really suv about it. I would at least start at the X3. It gives you some of the X5 style with a small footprint and lower cost.

Also a 2016 should still but under warranty so there are tons of threads discussing Pre Purchase Inspections etc and getting the dealer to cover anything and everything that's an issue. Also you can consider back to 2014 and 2015. They're out there and run strong. Especially the 3.0l.

And please please don't ask us if you should get a 35i, 50i, 35d, or 40e. Do some searching and reading and you can make that decision for yourself. You won't get a right or wrong answer on here. Just everyone's opinion and it won't lead you to an answer.

What's your biggest factor? I assume cost?
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2019, 08:53 PM   #29
TOPEC
<3 Flat Four
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335is LM Blue

Quote:
Heard diesel engines last longer.. So trucks who have diesel can last really long. Is there short answer to this? Is it the diesel gas ?
Diesel uses cylinder pressure to ignite, not a spark plug. Generally speaking, Diesel engines are made from cast iron to withstand the cylinder pressure thus the engine is more durable.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2019, 10:38 PM   #30
TheUltimateDrivingManiac
Freude am Fahren.
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 xDrive35i

Garage List
X1 is not a BMW. It’s Mini Countryman.

I would look at 2018+ X3. Newer platform than 2016 X5, will stay relevant longer, and even with a used car you will get some warranty left.
      06-17-2019, 08:57 AM   #31
Reign2016
Private
Rep
Drives: space gray xDrive35i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUltimateDrivingManiac View Post

I would look at 2018+ X3. Newer platform than 2016 X5, will stay relevant longer, and even with a used car you will get some warranty left.
me too. You can get an x5 when you have kids or need the slightly extra room. if I didn't need the family room I would've gone x3 or a macan S
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2019, 02:10 PM   #32
eeyuu
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 xDrive35i w/ MPPK

I have driven the 2016 x1 and the cabin lacks leg room. I could not get comfortable in the seat. I am unsure of the size for 2020 x1 but should not be too far off?

Currently driving 2016 x5 and it's worlds apart, definitely more comfortable and spacious.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2019, 01:30 PM   #33
nakamuru
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

i'm gearing towards the x3 now after researching. Is there lot of difference between the 2017 and 2018? xdrive .. I don't like the 2017 screen that is not on top of the dashboard..
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2019, 02:45 PM   #34
RED_Y_
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
i'm gearing towards the x3 now after researching. Is there lot of difference between the 2017 and 2018? xdrive .. I don't like the 2017 screen that is not on top of the dashboard..
They are 2 different generations, I would not consider the F25 in 2019, G01 is pretty sweet ride. Look for demo lease specials or something like that. BMWNA also has a $399 per month lease promo right now.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2019, 01:59 PM   #35
nakamuru
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverik259 View Post
Curious why you're even comparing X5 to X1. As some one briefly mentioned they're 2 completely different vehicles. Different class, different role, different purpose. We can't pick that for you. You need to know what you want.

If it's an entry level "luxury" suv then I would not get an X1. Nothing luxury or really suv about it. I would at least start at the X3. It gives you some of the X5 style with a small footprint and lower cost.

Also a 2016 should still but under warranty so there are tons of threads discussing Pre Purchase Inspections etc and getting the dealer to cover anything and everything that's an issue. Also you can consider back to 2014 and 2015. They're out there and run strong. Especially the 3.0l.

And please please don't ask us if you should get a 35i, 50i, 35d, or 40e. Do some searching and reading and you can make that decision for yourself. You won't get a right or wrong answer on here. Just everyone's opinion and it won't lead you to an answer.

Bit of topic but would you recommend going to a bmw dealer that's in a city that is not reputable?

Being in Washington state, city of belleuve is very clean and not as shady in terms of crime etc while there is another dealer way up in city called Puyallup where it's pretty high crime area and just always been shady. My gut instinc tells me to kind of go away from that even if the msrp seems lower. (which I did but saw Carfax there was two owners with low mileage at at a great price). But thought to myself, why would there be two owners with such low miles? Then saw it was a shady city and put the two together
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2019, 02:15 PM   #36
nakamuru
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Someone said in general the higher the x# goes higher the maintenance cost? is that seem reasonable?
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2019, 04:36 PM   #37
alphaod
Mmmmm…
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15

Garage List
Quote:
Someone said in general the higher the x# goes higher the maintenance cost? is that seem reasonable?
Well higher quality materials usually means higher costs of maintaining it.

This is not something I like to say and is mostly my opinion, but the X1 is basically the lowest end tier not only in terms of size, but also build quality. I mean overall quality it's still better than your typical plastic Japanese car, but it's on the bottom on the BMW scale. You'll have better basics like good quality steel and good stuff like nice door hinges, better frame stiffness, anti-corrosion coating, but there will be more plastics, thinner seat cushions, smaller brakes, etc. Less margins, overall less quality.

Yes I would say the higher number the better the quality, therefore the higher cost of maintenance. The new X7 especially is probably closer to the build quality and cost of maintenance of the Cullinan, but at a lower price point.

Overall I would never cross-shop an X1 with an X5; just doesn't make sense. It's like buying kitchen goods and asking if you should get a Le Creuset panini press or a stockpot. Totally different things.
      06-19-2019, 05:09 PM   #38
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverik259 View Post

Bit of topic but would you recommend going to a bmw dealer that's in a city that is not reputable?

Being in Washington state, city of belleuve is very clean and not as shady in terms of crime etc while there is another dealer way up in city called Puyallup where it's pretty high crime area and just always been shady. My gut instinc tells me to kind of go away from that even if the msrp seems lower. (which I did but saw Carfax there was two owners with low mileage at at a great price). But thought to myself, why would there be two owners with such low miles? Then saw it was a shady city and put the two together
Doesn't matter where you buy. As long as you get the best deal you can. I would maybe get it serviced elsewhere.
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2019, 05:13 PM   #39
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

I would say not necessarily. What costs a lot is BMW hourly rate. So don't take it to BMW to fix. Get the parts off a discount site or FCP euro who has a lifetime guarantee on all their parts and then find a good Indy shop.

A "basic" suspension component on an X5 will cost more than an X1 but not by a lot. Unless you have DHP and one of the special dhp related parts break but sounds to me you'll be looking for a basic X5 which won't be that much more than any other BMW for parts. What you want is reliability. And the X5 has that. Probably the X1 too.

Again. YOU need to figure out what you want in the next car. Cuz you might as well be asking us to compare a sedan to a truck.
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2019, 10:02 AM   #40
TheUltimateDrivingManiac
Freude am Fahren.
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 xDrive35i

Garage List
Quote:
Not necessary true.
      06-21-2019, 12:33 AM   #41
RED_Y_
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Nope, every case is different.
Appreciate 0