BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

06-23-2016, 07:55 AM   #23
Tlon
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1230vani View Post
I'm kinda over it. Was really upset and now looking forward to a new car. Folks have no idea because i think most dealer demo cars do not have AS option. In Austria (where I used to live), most dealer cars had it and sales guys really recommend(ed) AS. I have to say why i even got into BMW. I friend (girl) bought herself a new E46 coupe, i thought car was nice but I preferred Audi at the time (to buy) and then she asked me to help her repark the car as she was new to driving and parking... I drove the car for about 5 min and loved the heavy steering and in the end drove the car sometimes. I bought that car from her a year later and got mega into BMWs. Test drove an audi and it was the steering that won me over in BMW. Got into E92, followed by E71 which drove amazing with AS and torque vectoring. Test drove F15 and was mega dissapointed. Car was a non m sport with professional suspension comfort i guess. Then a friend of mine assured me that with the m package they would address it, took AS as i got used to it (had no idea it was still hydraulic). Apart from the current car leaning a bit in the turns (with adaptive m suspension) the steering feel was great especially in sport mode (drivetrain in sport almost at all times). So now I truly hope they've improved something although there is little hope because nothing was announced and this isn't an official facelift. I thought about getting RR sport but after seeeing the reviews of the infotainment and head up display (new feature on RR sport just released and it already looks five years behind BMW) i knew i would not be into it. Plus RR sport is a heavy car so the comparable engine just doesn't pull as good... Mercedes version of the X5 is mega oudated inside and i dislike it. Heard XC90 has clatter inside and it does not appeal me that much. So I'm counting on you BMW...
When I leased my 2015, I drove quite a few cars on the lot without active steering. I'm sure I could get used to how light the steering is, but I really hated how sterile the driving felt without AS. It completely changes the dynamics of the car. AS makes a large car feel smaller and much more nimble, especially in city traffic. I'm sure I'll get over it or buy a different car when my lease is up in 18 mo. This is my 7th BMW, so it'd be a bummer to switch.
Appreciate 0