BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5 and X6 (F15/F16) Forum

04-12-2017, 06:47 AM   #1
mermar
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 330e xdrive

Any cyclists out there - how are you transporting bikes?

The one bummer about the X5 is that it is a pain to mount a hitch. Whole bumper has to be removed, taillights, etc... hitch + labor to install is about $1200. Ouch. And I'm reading the BMW receiver is sort of awkward as it sticks way out from the bumper. Also - read that it did not accept someone's bike rack for some reason. Considering Invisi-hitch - but not sure about installing and do not want anything tapping into BMW wiring. Who would guess a SUV is so difficult to mount a hitch. I hope BMW offers something better on the next x5.

My family and I ride mountain bikes. I ride all the time - if it's just me I'm loading my back in the rear with the seats folded and a moving blanket down to protect the interior (bike only weighs 19 lbs). For multiple bikes, curious if most people are going with a roof rack instead of a hitch rack? Then you have the wind noise from the roof rack and a fairly elevated load/unload situation.

Ideally I would like to go with a OneUp rack on a 2" receiver hitch.

With SO many F15 x5's on the road - I wonder how people are solving for a bike rack?

Once I solve for this - I'll have the perfect SUV as it is amazing in so many other ways.
      04-12-2017, 12:27 PM   #2
evandro13
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X6

invisihitch... love it, when its not on the car u would never know its there... using a thule t2 pro, also love that. great setup, goes from looking like no trailer hitch to two bikes loaded on car in literally 3 minutes
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2017, 12:56 PM   #3
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

how many bikes are we talking about? And how many adult bikes? B/c you might need a combo of roof + hitch racks, if you also need to store gear.

Also with Invisihitch, don't worry about "tapping" into wiring. Invisihitch can simply be just the metal hitch. You still use the OEM wiring harness. Also, if you want to save money, there's no reason to do the harness and programming at all if you don't plan on towing.

There are hitch racks out there that'll carry up to 3-4 bikes, though it'll stick out a lot. But your best bet is a combo of both roof and hitch for 4 bikes.

The roof option would be the cheapest. OEM roof bars are like $150-$200. The bike racks doesn't have to be OEM, and you can pick them up really cheap at REI garage sales, Craigslist, etc.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2017, 01:02 PM   #4
mermar
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
how many bikes are we talking about? And how many adult bikes?

B/c you might need a combo of roof + hitch racks, if you also need to store gear.
From 1 to 3 bikes. The one concern with both BMW class 2 and invisi hitch is that they extend away from the bumper such that the bikes are further behind the x5 and slipstream (read others say this causes some sway, etc). With a traditional under bumper hitch like a hidden hitch or curt they are closer to the rear and a bit more in the slipstream.

Last edited by mermar; 04-12-2017 at 01:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2017, 01:05 PM   #5
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mermar View Post
From 1 to 3 bikes. The one concern with both BMW class 2 and invisi hitch is that they extend away from the bumper such that the backs are further behind the x5 and slipstream. With a traditional
Under bumper hitch like a hidden hitch or curt they are closer to the rear and a bit more in the slipstream.
personally, if it's just for the purpose of transporting bikes, I would do the roof rack option as you can get it done for about $300. Thule sells bike carriers as singles, so I'm sure you can fit 3 up on the roof.

http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/orsra...cles-918-3.jpg

Spending $1000 on a hitch but not using it to tow seems like a waste of money. And don't say it "adds" value on resale. It might allow you to sell your car easier as next buyer may look for a hitch, but depreciation of the car is going to eat away more than any "value" the hitch adds.

Plus, with roof racks, you can reuse them on your next car. You just have to sell your cross bars that's for the X5, but you can easily sell those used for like $120
      04-13-2017, 12:15 AM   #6
PeanutButterJellyTime
'06 525xi, '14 435xi, '17 X5 50i, '16 428xi GC
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 428xi GC

Quote:
roof racks
How would one get a bike up on the roof? I would live to get one instead of throwing my mountain bike in the trunk.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2017, 02:52 AM   #7
1230vani
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 40i LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeanutButterJellyTime View Post
How would one get a bike up on the roof? I would live to get one instead of throwing my mountain bike in the trunk.
I have the OEM tow hitch (2.0 for F15) and OEM bike rack with an extra for three bikes. Love it.

It is on a Msport and it is hidden in the bumper and fully automated. My understanding is that the ventilation components (for Euro spec cars) are added to the engine to bear with the potential weight being pulled.

I found out why the F15 in the US cannot come with tow hitch directly from the factory. It is because the "ball" on the tow hitch is different standard/dimension than that of Europe so BMW decided only to install it aftermarket for US.

A friend of mine was ordering a US spec car and it said on the sheet it does have preparation/wiring for the tow hitch. I assume the ventilation components are already installed on US cars, not sure, but pre-wiring is there for sure.

The OEM bike rack (2.0) is quite light and one can still open the trunk as the rack can be slided down if needed.

I really think it is an awesome easy solution.

No experience with inswitch so cannot comment.

Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2017, 11:51 AM   #8
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1230vani View Post
I have the OEM tow hitch (2.0 for F15) and OEM bike rack with an extra for three bikes. Love it.

It is on a Msport and it is hidden in the bumper and fully automated. My understanding is that the ventilation components (for Euro spec cars) are added to the engine to bear with the potential weight being pulled.

I found out why the F15 in the US cannot come with tow hitch directly from the factory. It is because the "ball" on the tow hitch is different standard/dimension than that of Europe so BMW decided only to install it aftermarket for US.

A friend of mine was ordering a US spec car and it said on the sheet it does have preparation/wiring for the tow hitch. I assume the ventilation components are already installed on US cars, not sure, but pre-wiring is there for sure.

The OEM bike rack (2.0) is quite light and one can still open the trunk as the rack can be slided down if needed.

Cheers!
as of a few months ago, BMW North America website didn't show the type of rack that attaches to your tow hook and slides down. The E70 had this accessory and it is a great piece. I'm still looking for one (used). It's like a $600 piece.
      04-14-2017, 05:22 AM   #9
bqvalen
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 G05, 2016 F15, 2019 XC60

Kuat rack and hitch.

I had my hitch installed at local UHaul for about $400 (hitch and install)
I did NOT have the wiring installed as I don't plan to tow.

If I did it over again I'd just have installed it myself, there are a few good write ups on this site.

Or, if I did it again and were lazy, I'd buy the hitch online and have a real body shop install it.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2017, 05:56 AM   #10
1230vani
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Cheers!
as of a few months ago, BMW North America website didn't show the type of rack that attaches to your tow hook and slides down. The E70 had this accessory and it is a great piece. I'm still looking for one (used). It's like a $600 piece.
Strange, it will slide down as both racks for e70 and 2.0 (f15 support it).
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2017, 11:22 AM   #11
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
can you provide a link regarding the rack you're talking about?

I'm talking about this one. It's only for the E70/71. I don't think it fits the F15. I'm on the hunt for this rack (used). It attaches to your tow hooks and slides down to allow you to access your trunk with your bike attached.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=424818

04-14-2017, 12:10 PM   #12
Doanster
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 F15 Carbon Black M-Sport

Quote:
Quote:
can you provide a link regarding the rack you're talking about?

I'm talking about this one. It's only for the E70/71. I don't think it fits the F15. I'm on the hunt for this rack (used). It attaches to your tow hooks and slides down to allow you to access your trunk with your bike attached.
You are correct/don't waste your time. Our F15s only have one actual tow hook receptacle in the back. There's nothing but the crash bar behind the second cover, i.e. it's a dummy for symmetry's-sake.
      04-27-2017, 12:25 AM   #13
idahoakl
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d

I have an invisihitch and a 2 inch 1up rack. I love the ability to put the bikes on the back of the car without worrying if they're going to hit each other. I have 4 trays and it sticks out there a bit but it isn't horrible. I did build a light bar for it so that other cars could see my taillights with bikes on and to stop the parking sensors from going nuts with the rack on.

I don't have the light bar on in this picture but some angle aluminum works well.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-27-2017, 03:05 AM   #14
1230vani
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

OEM 2.0 euro bike rack

I love it.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-27-2017, 08:37 PM   #15
Tyler_Durden
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Alpine white X5 35i

I love my Invisihitch and Rockymounts Splitrail setup. They sell a 1 bike add-on rack for when we have 3 or 4 riders. The rack is extremely well built and solid at hwy speeds.

Also I will add that any body shop should be able to install the hitch without touching the wires and for $200-$300 max.

Appreciate 0
      05-03-2017, 05:51 AM   #16
mermar
Lieutenant
Rep

OP here - after researching the hitch solutions - I went with a Curt hitch installed at my local body shop. Hitch and labor = $400. Ordered the 1 Up rack. This combination feels like it is made by BMW to work with the x5. Tucks in nice and close when folded - rear gate can be lowered and there is 2" of clearance so perfect. Hitch rack is dead on stable when installed - and bike is largely out of the wind. I'm a geek about this sort of stuff and I HIGHLY recommend this combo.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2017, 06:31 AM   #17
Terp335
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 2011 335i M Sport

Invisihitch...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-03-2017, 09:17 AM   #18
GrabacrOne
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mermar
OP here - after researching the hitch solutions - I went with a Curt hitch installed at my local body shop. Hitch and labor = $400. Ordered the 1 Up rack. This combination feels like it is made by BMW to work with the x5. Tucks in nice and close when folded - rear gate can be lowered and there is 2" of clearance so perfect. Hitch rack is dead on stable when installed - and bike is largely out of the wind. I'm a geek about this sort of stuff and I HIGHLY recommend this combo.
Glad you were able to find one that works for you. I'm also deciding between Invisihitch and Curt Hitch. Could you post some pictures of the install, how it looks with and without the rack, when you get time? Can you see the receiver when nothing is attached?
Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #578262 as a referral.

F10 535i M-Sport | Gone but not forgotten: G01 X3 xDrive30i M-Sport; F15 X5 xDrive35i; E70 X5 4.8i
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2017, 03:24 PM   #19
wakethetown
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 xDrive 50i

I had an Invisihitch installed yesterday. Shop said it was more involved than any hitch they've ever put on. Looks great though. Going to put my new Kuat NV 2.0 on this weekend. Riding season is finally upon us in the PNW.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2017, 01:34 PM   #20
BigEEE
Rep
Drives: 2016 X35d

1+ for Invisihitch!