BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-02-2017, 05:58 AM   #1
X5M50D
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X7 M50d

Paint Protection

I'm looking at having the car professionally detailed before collection.
My detailer has suggested a number of products such as

G-Techniq Crystal Serum
Kamikaze Miyabi
IGL kenzo - apparently has a 5 year guarantee?

Anyone had hands on experienced with these products and could recommend?

Thanks
      03-02-2017, 07:09 AM   #2
Baunton
Major
England
Rep
Drives: X5 45e 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5M50D View Post

G-Techniq Crystal Serum
Kamikaze Miyabi

Thanks
Hi.

I have, since i took delivery in May 2014 had my car Detailed first using G-Techniq but more recently had had him use Swissvax.

Swissvax is a PTFE/40% carnuaba hybrid wax called Endurance, only available to authorised detailers. It has an initial life of around 18 months as it's an IR cured hybrid, similar to a coating.

I find it lasts longer - excellent on the windshield.

As I have light leather seats he also seals them too.

I'd recommend getting it done as soon as possible post delivery.
Appreciate 1
P111541.50
      03-02-2017, 08:18 AM   #3
David_GT3
Rep
Drives: X5 3.0DM

and don't forget - its totally pointless unless the car is fully paint corrected beforehand. If yours is anything like mine, it was covered in swirls from new.
When you take off the coverup shit that dealers put on, you'll see it.
The paint is quite soft too.
(I was trained by Swissvax..many years ago)
I personally prefer the ceramic sealants on these cars, as they are workhorses. Not particularly easy to apply (even for pros) but they do work and last.
I've previously used Gyeon in the past and been quite happy with it.
I'm trying something different on the X5 - Krypton K5. Sounds good, and was developed by someone I trust , so worth a go
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2017, 08:44 AM   #4
sak83
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 M50D on order

I have my car booked in for a new car details in a few weeks time, I haven't decided on the coating yet but its likely to be Gtechniq Crystal Serum Light with EXO applied over the top.

From some research on detailing world and watching a few youtube videos the Kamikaze coatings also look appealing
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2017, 08:44 AM   #5
alphaod
Mmmmm…
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15

Garage List
I'd just use a clear bra or similar instead of going with a "soft" product.
      03-02-2017, 09:05 AM   #6
double_j
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 JB/B E90 M3

One thing to think about, especially if this will be your daily driver.

The X5's shape generally makes it a magnet for rock chips and dirt. It's going to take a thrashing in every day use. Some would argue that this makes paint protection even more important.

I would argue the opposite; with high use and no matter how careful you are, the X5 will eventually get pretty beat up no matter what protection you have on it. Given the cost of paint protection and the fact that it doesn't necessarily prevent all damage or make the car get any less dirty, you might want to consider if it's really worth it to you.

If you do go with paint protection on a higher use vehicle, I'd stick with physical protection (vinyl) vs. chemical shields.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2017, 09:51 AM   #7
originalgoods13
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Chevy Spark

Detailer here, I would suggest getting a good paint correction done (decontamination, cut, polish, protect) and use PPF on the whole bumper cover, hood, fenders, rocker panels, rear door flare.

After that, add a good sealant such as Menzerna Power lock or Sonax.

I made a mistake not PPF the whole hood and it's peppered with contaminants and rock chips after 22,000 miles.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2017, 09:53 AM   #8
originalgoods13
Captain
Canada
Rep

I'd say a good paint correction, full PPF front end, and sealant such as Menzerna Power lock will do the trick.

Coatings are good,but not susceptible to daily paint damage, I'd save some money and apply Power lock every 6 months.

I top coat mine with Einszett Glanz wax as well.
Appreciate 1
P111541.50
      04-30-2017, 09:42 PM   #9
originalgoods13
Captain
Canada
Rep

Detailer here, I would suggest getting a good paint correction done (decontamination, cut, polish, protect) and use PPF on the whole bumper cover, hood, fenders, rocker panels, rear door flare.

After that, add a good sealant such as Menzerna Power lock or Sonax.

I made a mistake not PPF the whole hood and it's peppered with contaminants and rock chips after 22,000 miles.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2017, 01:04 PM   #10
MochiEater
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 40e

Quote:
Originally Posted by double_j View Post
I would argue the opposite; with high use and no matter how careful you are, the X5 will eventually get pretty beat up no matter what protection you have on it. Given the cost of paint protection and the fact that it doesn't necessarily prevent all damage or make the car get any less dirty, you might want to consider if it's really worth it to you.

If you do go with paint protection on a higher use vehicle, I'd stick with physical protection (vinyl) vs. chemical shields.
This

I'm not really OCD about my paint, but I have 3M film on the front of all our cars. I do it for physical protection, like a suit of armor. It takes a beating so that the paint doesn't. But it doesn't look very good after a while, especially if the underlying paint is white or very light. No matter how good the installer, dirt collects in the corners and edges of the film. In certain spots it's impossible to get a perfect fit and the edges will lift eventually e.g. parking sensors, side mirrors. Tears cannot be repaired or buffed out.

If I were to desire that showroom shine, I would only apply film where it can be wrapped under so no seams show, or just skip the film. And just plan on repainting the car if the paint gets really bad.
2018 330e - Driver Assistance Plus, Adaptive LED Lights (decoded VLD), Active Blind Spot Detection, ACC Stop & Go, Parking Assistant, Side/Top Cameras, HUD, Comfort Access, 225/45R18 255/40R18 Pirelli Cinturato P7 + Winter Sotozero Serie II
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2017, 01:41 PM   #11
F15GorDe
Well versed in the care and feeding of BMWs
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15d, F10

Paint correction, Opticoat and Xpel film are the products I use. After a couple of years I'm very happy with the results. Full hood film has worked well without the line that develops over time.
      06-23-2017, 07:13 AM   #12
expidia
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 35i

Older thread but I wanted to "chip" in (git it)

I always used to use if available an OEM hood plastic hood protector for my former non bmw SUV's. But they are ugly. And I don't think bmw makes them anyway.

I use a film which the aftermarket shop calls a clear bra. I have them only go back on the hood maybe 13 inches or so. One can do the whole hood too.
I'm mostly worried about the nose area that takes a beating from small chips especially when you are even way behind an 18 wheeler at 70mph and the jerk allows his left wheels to wander off the pavement and you get sand blasted

Best done when new of course as i had to touch up the chips first since mine is a 2016 and then wait 2 weeks before the film is applied. Make sure you get the touch ups real flat by thinning the touch up paint down. Higher touchups are going to show a tiny bubble, so take your time.

At the same time I have them do 4 door edge guards with the same film.

Came out great as the shop did it for me yesterday. Came to $364.
Same shop did my white Audi. The economy film has a 3 year warranty. Their premium film as a lifetime warranty. I plan to trade X5 for another one in 3 years anyway.

For locals I use Tint World 1015 central ave, Albany, NY. nice people to do business with. I have no connection or relationship with them, they just do nice work IMO.

Hardly noticeable. It runs straight across from where the hood channel intersects the headlight.

To me better and cheaper hood protection than wax or coatings.

I also asked them about ceramic tinting for the windshield to lessen the heat from the sun. He said I could do it on the sunroof but I think he said bmw already tints it down to probably 70% and their ceramic would only bring it down to 80% another 10% which is already over NYS tint laws for the windshield. For the sunroof I can always just close the screen.

Note: that mark front right edge of hood is a bird dropping (they love my black X5):
Attached Images

Last edited by expidia; 07-13-2017 at 06:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2017, 11:18 AM   #13
S114MON
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 F15 M50d

Quote:

G-Techniq Crystal Serum
Kamikaze Miyabi

Thanks
G-Techniq Crystal Serum is holding up very well so far.
Nathan at Cambridge Autogleam - good youtube channel too on paint correction first. Good facilities, worth the trek.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2017, 02:02 PM   #14
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Used to detail cars as a hobby back in the days, right around the time when semi-permanent coatings hit the market. Although I don't dispute the fact that they work well, the hype around them has inflated what it costs to get it applied. Detailers are having a field day with it.

Pay someone to properly polish out your paint, if required. Then add a sealant, such as Menzerna Power Lock, that will last you a few months. If you want to go all out, add a nice wax on top of it.

I bet if you take two X5s, and coat one vs. use Power Lock on the other one, keep up maintenance on both of them and compare them at 100,000 miles, I guarantee the paint will be in equally good shape. The latter will just be done at a fraction of the price.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2017, 04:15 PM   #15
X5M50D
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

I went for the IGL Kenzo ceramic coating and I'm more than happy with the end result.
As mine is Carbon Black I wanted a hard coating to protect the paintwork and help prevent marks, chips and swirl marks. 3 months on and 6 washes, car still looks brand new and stunning. Well worth the extra money spent for peace of mind.
      06-28-2017, 07:33 PM   #16
originalgoods13
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et
Used to detail cars as a hobby back in the days, right around the time when semi-permanent coatings hit the market. Although I don't dispute the fact that they work well, the hype around them has inflated what it costs to get it applied. Detailers are having a field day with it.

Pay someone to properly polish out your paint, if required. Then add a sealant, such as Menzerna Power Lock, that will last you a few months. If you want to go all out, add a nice wax on top of it.

I bet if you take two X5s, and coat one vs. use Power Lock on the other one, keep up maintenance on both of them and compare them at 100,000 miles, I guarantee the paint will be in equally good shape. The latter will just be done at a fraction of the price.
Totally. With proper care, any paintwork will look amazing.

Coatings do not offer super protection against regular sealant or wax.

You will still get rock chips, marring, scratches, and defects.
Appreciate 1
P111541.50
      06-29-2017, 04:52 PM   #17
philsbm
Rep
Drives: X5 M50D

I had Gtechniq +Exo glass, wheels and inside all done with their products. Nine months in and still comes up as new. I used Concours detailing near Reading, Bradley is a top bloke who will give you great advice for on-going cleaning

Quote:

G-Techniq Crystal Serum
Kamikaze Miyabi

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2017, 03:21 AM   #18
X5M50D
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by philsbm View Post
I had Gtechniq +Exo glass, wheels and inside all done with their products. Nine months in and still comes up as new. I used Concours detailing near Reading, Bradley is a top bloke who will give you great advice for on-going cleaning
I used Bradley of Concours Detailing as well back in April, following your recommendation.
Totally agree a first class job.
A friend of mine has just had his M140i detailed with him so he is certainly a busy man.
Cheers
      06-30-2017, 04:42 AM   #19
charlietangobravo
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 M50d

I´ve gone with ceramic coating for my last 5 cars. Works great.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2017, 07:09 AM   #20
expidia
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post

All good points above:
Tip: don't just click on amazon and buy detail products without googling around first for a better price.
Amazon's prime allows their vendors to boost the shipping, so they can advertise a lowball price like with prime shipping.

Or sites like autogeek just ram a $15.95 fee and they wont tell you what it is until you put in all your credit card info. This should be illegal.

Amazon wanted $78 for the Menzerna bundle kit (includes a 16 oz powerlock.
Autogeek wanted like $60 plus an amazing $16 shipping.
Amazon gets $34 for a 16 oz bottle of powerlock alone.

I found a coupon code directly from autotopia. Not the groupon or other coupon code sites that spam you to death.
Use GD17. Worked for me for -15% off.

The Menzerna kit includes:Kit includes:
8 oz. Menzerna Power Finish PO 203
8 oz. Menzerna Super Finish (Nano) PO 106 FA
16 oz. Menzerna Power Lock Paint Sealant
Cobra Microfiber Applicator Pad
2 Microfiber Detailing Towels, 16 x 16 inches

I'll top the powerlock off with PS2 carnuba wax.

I've used autotopia for years as i had twin saabs one black and the other dark blue and they always used to look primo (even though they were always parked outside) just with occasional clay barring and a few layers of PS2.

Another tip that I picked up in these threads is to try the nanoskin auto scrub mitt in the fine grit which removes contaminates similar to clay barring which is always tedious and annoying to use. Amazon $42 (I had a fathers day gift card).
Make sure you use a lubricant with it. I just use some quick spray detailing stuff like when clay barring.

I didnt see autotopia stocking the same mitt.

Haha . . . I washed my X5 two days ago, Washed it again yesterday before I quick detailed it last night until the menzerna kit arrives. As I'm typing this I'm listening to torrential rain behind me from my open porch door.
At least it will bead

Last edited by expidia; 06-30-2017 at 07:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2017, 01:19 PM   #21
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

I honestly buy everything from Detailer's Domain. Phil is the best in the business.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2017, 10:22 PM   #22
M3-Namja
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 Xdrive50i

GTechniq five year ceramic coating ?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0