BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-02-2017, 05:58 PM   #1
fartingspartan
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 xDrive40d M Sport

X5 - Joined BMW Club

Hello from Scotland!

3 Audi's - fancied a change and a move from Sporty/Saloon's to a higher/4x4 type..

X6 and X5 were tried and tested...loved the X6 but I think the novelty would have worn off and I plan to keep this for 3-4 years so went with X5.

3 month old, Ex demo 40d m Sport with 5 year/50k service plan.
2000 miles on clock when I picked it up

Thought it was the 5 seat version...when I got to dealer (found it online) it was 7 seater but still went for it - have no need for 7 seats but maybe easier to sell when time comes.. we shall see.

• Electric Front seats with driver memory
  • American Oak interior trim
  • Heated rear seats
  • Instrument panel with leather finish
  • Heated front seats
  • 20" M Double spoke 469 Alloys
  • Driver and passenger lumbar support
  • High beam assistant
  • heads up display
  • cold weather package
  • heated steering wheel
  • Harman Kardon sound system
  • Soft close doors
  • third row seating
  • Sun protection glass
  • Panoramic sunroof
  • Digital Display
  • Electric Towbar
  • Speed limit display
  • Reversing assist camera
  • Surround view
  • Online/Apps
  • Telematics/connected subscription

Some questions for you experts...

Cant remember exactly which one but of the 2 headlight rings one on each side never lights up ie what I would say is the central bit never fires up - is this normal - Sidelights its just the outside lit up, full lights its one of them, full beams it changes the one that's already on - fog lights are LED and below.

Maybe this is how it is meant to be but seems odd to have the two shapes but only one lights up?

Is it possible to make the remote lock also fold mirrors without having to be held? this was an option with Audi in car settings - have read it needs to be programmed? is this a BMW thing and do they charge for it?

Has anyone managed to get android/Spotify integration to work - online seems to say "coming soon" but I was disappointed to find that only streaming via blue-tooth works which means cover-art and full browsing etc isn't possible?

Can someone explain the deadlock side of things? In every other car I have had - one click on key locks, second click deadlocks.. noticed with this car that second click didnt do anything... so sat in car...locked car...then I could still open car from inside - which to me makes me thing doors dont deadlock ie if someone smashed window on locked car they could open door from inside? is this the case?

Does the steering wheel lock? again during my "security testing" above - I noticed that when I turn ignition of, steering wheel doesn't seem to lock and again when I locked myself in car - it still didn't seem to lock.

Again different from other cars I have had

Eco>Comfor>Sport - Is their any impact or change in using Eco - I dont see any real change in economy other than throttle response numbs a little - but other than that numbers dont change interms of MPG etc - am I missing something?

Is there anyway to stop air system starting everytime I get in car?

My auto dip/kerb view mirror seems to have stopped dipping when I put car in reverse - any ideas why? I have checked and selector is still set to left/passenger side

Is there a way to make boot openable without using boot release on door or key? I have tried to unlock/open with my hand when standing at it, but I need to either hit unlock on key then use my hand on boot button/lid or use the boot release on key - just wondered again if there was a setting anywhere for this?

I noticed "add Blu" tank/capacity - never heard of it before - done some reading - what happens if it runs out and I am driving/unable to have it filled again? does car still work?

I have read something about grill color on 40dm Sport not being right on orders - is the silver/titanium that I have the right factory option?

Think that's it for now... appreciate you taking time to reply if you can help equally if you have any questions on the car - happy to answer if I can.

Appreciate 1
      05-02-2017, 06:40 PM   #2
F15GorDe
Well versed in the care and feeding of BMWs
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15d, F10

You will have plenty of warning before you run out of the DEF that goes into the "ad-blue" tanks. When your F15 is in for an oil service your tanks should be topped up. Make it a point to confirm that filling the tanks WAS completed. The design calls for range exceeding what you will drive between oil changes, >10k miles).
DO NOT stop your engine once you know that you have driven farther than the 1000 miles allowed once you receive the low DEF fluid warning.

Having the mirrors fold-in on shutdown is a codeable item.

Nice build AND welcome to the group!

Last edited by F15GorDe; 05-02-2017 at 06:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2017, 12:31 AM   #3
alphaod
Mmmmm…
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15

Garage List
Congrats!
      05-03-2017, 02:58 PM   #4
kanvas
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: V8

Congrats and welcome to the forum. I too have a MW with black rims (491s); you can never go wrong with that combo To answer a few of your questions:

Cant remember exactly which one but of the 2 headlight rings one on each side never lights up ie what I would say is the central bit never fires up - is this normal - Sidelights its just the outside lit up, full lights its one of them, full beams it changes the one that's already on - fog lights are LED and below.

That's not normal. Get it checked with your SA.

Is it possible to make the remote lock also fold mirrors without having to be held? this was an option with Audi in car settings - have read it needs to be programmed? is this a BMW thing and do they charge for it?

No auto-fold, need to code. Refer to the BMW Coding Thread.

Has anyone managed to get android/Spotify integration to work - online seems to say "coming soon" but I was disappointed to find that only streaming via blue-tooth works which means cover-art and full browsing etc isn't possible?

Android user here. I'm hoping a software update in the future will allow Android integration.

Does the steering wheel lock? again during my "security testing" above - I noticed that when I turn ignition of, steering wheel doesn't seem to lock and again when I locked myself in car - it still didn't seem to lock.

If I understand your question correctly, no, the steering wheel doesn't "lock" but it's in a very stiff mode that simulates a locked steering wheel.

Eco>Comfor>Sport - Is their any impact or change in using Eco - I dont see any real change in economy other than throttle response numbs a little - but other than that numbers dont change interms of MPG etc - am I missing something?

I get ~2/3 mpg gain but that's it. Sport mode all day!

---

I had few very minor issues during the first ~5k miles (A/C blowing air at max setting but not cold, right side mirror not folding downward on reverse, like yours, and a few hiccups here and there). Over time, the issues went away without consulting my SA. If you have time, definitely bug your SA and get the issues sorted out, but if not, don't sweat it too much, especially if it doesn't impede with driving safety. Sometimes, it's okay to allow the X5 sort some of its minor issues out, especially during break-in period. Give it some time for the computer to adjust to your driving habits/behaviors. Overall, I must say most members are very satisfied with reliability thus far (sans a few lemon cars), with some happy members clocking already 50k miles.

Again, welcome to the community!

Last edited by kanvas; 05-03-2017 at 03:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2017, 04:14 PM   #5
stupot
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 40d MSport, 21" wheels

Welcome aboard, I'm also in Scotland, with almost the same car.

If you want the mirrors to fold on locking hold the lock button for a few seconds before release and the mirrors will auto fold. When you unlock they will fold back out.

Inner bit of headlight not working is correct. They only work if you have upgraded adaptive lights.

Auto dip reverse mirror, move little switch to drivers side and passenger side will dip.

Ad blue will give you a warning with 1000 miles to go, warning reminds you every time you start the car from there on in, so you will fill it before if goes to zero and won't start.

Your grill is correct for 40d. Some of the first ones were miss built with the black centres from the 30d.
Appreciate 0