BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-12-2014, 04:46 PM   #23
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Opasha, I never check out 5.0i engine, but I should be right.
The cable that you need is the left one, or the last one in the close up picture.
Now, I know that the 5.0 engine has 2 air intake and 2 throttle body, therefore it should have 2 MAF sensors. While your cabling only have plug for 1 MAF sensor.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2014, 07:15 PM   #24
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33 View Post
Opasha, I never check out 5.0i engine, but I should be right.
The cable that you need is the left one, or the last one in the close up picture.
Now, I know that the 5.0 engine has 2 air intake and 2 throttle body, therefore it should have 2 MAF sensors. While your cabling only have plug for 1 MAF sensor.
Thanks for the info, Ben. So, I can or can't use 1 of the 2 cables? They said they sent me an adapter cable so one of those two is the adapter? I'm still a little confused. Sorry .
      07-12-2014, 07:32 PM   #25
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Tell you the truth, I am also confused after looking at it.
I mean, v8 has to bank, cylinder 1-4 and cylinder 5-8 bank.
Each bank has its own turbo, intake, throttle body, and exhaust. All of those each components has its own sensors. So, if you are only stimulating 1 side of the bank, it will not run correctly.
I hope that explains it.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2014, 07:39 PM   #26
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Tell you the truth, I am also confused after looking at it.
I mean, v8 has to bank, cylinder 1-4 and cylinder 5-8 bank.
Each bank has its own turbo, intake, throttle body, and exhaust. All of those each components has its own sensors. So, if you are only stimulating 1 side of the bank, it will not run correctly.
I hope that explains it.
Yeah, that makes sense. I'm just going to leave it till Monday and let me mechanic figure it all out. Thanks again, my friend.
      07-13-2014, 07:19 AM   #27
barcelona
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: X

N63TU Engine.pdf

Technical Training Product Info , Engine N63- TU

May not help, as I could not see the 4 pin connector. Page 69, 70 have different plug connections and is not what you are looking for. Sorry, I am not a Tim Taylor.

"The plug connector concept is identical to the MEVD 17.2 in the N55engine. There is a logical division into six modules." hence some similarities to the N55.

Is this motor not the same as the E70. I guess there are not RChips You Tube videos for the E70 v8?

Nice that you are sharing with us. Funny RChip says the install takes 15 mins. RChips really should be more clear with the instructions and should know what exact pin connection is on the F15 rather than asking you, sounds like BMW sometimes.

Last edited by barcelona; 07-13-2014 at 07:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2014, 03:51 PM   #28
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcelona View Post
Attachment 1058222

Technical Training Product Info , Engine N63- TU

May not help, as I could not see the 4 pin connector. Page 69, 70 have different plug connections and is not what you are looking for. Sorry, I am not a Tim Taylor.

"The plug connector concept is identical to the MEVD 17.2 in the N55engine. There is a logical division into six modules." hence some similarities to the N55.

Is this motor not the same as the E70. I guess there are not RChips You Tube videos for the E70 v8?

Nice that you are sharing with us. Funny RChip says the install takes 15 mins. RChips really should be more clear with the instructions and should know what exact pin connection is on the F15 rather than asking you, sounds like BMW sometimes.
Again, you guys are always a great help. Thank you .

I'm honestly shocked that RaceChip makes something like this for the 5.0i without proper instructions. You would think they would pay more attention to this engine considering the 507hp/564 torque would be breaking some SUV records. Goodbye 4.3 seconds, hello < 4 seconds? I don't think this is the same engine as the e70 V8, but it is the same one as the e70 X5M and X6 5.0i. This is what wiki shows regarding the N63:
"The BMW N63 is a twin turbo DOHC V8 piston engine which replaced the (naturally aspirated) N62 and was produced from 2008–present. It was launched in the 2008 BMW X6 xDrive50i,[1] and later the F01 BMW 750i.[2] The location of the intake and exhaust manifolds are reversed compared to a traditional V8. The BMW Motorsport division version of this engine, called S63, debuted in the X5M and X6M and later appeared in the M5 and M6. Alpina also uses a variant of this engine on the 2011 Alpina B7 and B5."

When my mechanic takes a look at it tomorrow, I'll get him to explain everything to me as I watch. If I'm not in his way, I'll take pictures as well so you guys have a better understanding on how to attack this engine, lol.

Last edited by opasha; 07-14-2014 at 04:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 04:22 PM   #29
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Got it installed. Now, I know why they don't have pictures. It is not an easy plug 'n play system as the 3.5 engines...AT ALL. If you buy this, you will have to be really really good with power tools and hands that can get into tight spaces. There are two MAP sensors. beneath and just behind the front plastic piece. The total work time took us 50-60 minutes give or take because it took us 10 minutes to even locate the 2 map sensors. So, as far as service and warranty is concerned, I would not buy the 5.0i because you will be required to go into a shop if you're not good with power tools and it will definitely take you a good 30 minutes whether you remove or put it back in. I was charged $60.

I'll upload pictures and give my driving thoughts after a few days because there was a Drivetrain Malfunction service error - Maximum Output not available - Drive Moderately. I assume this is limiting the vehicle from achieving it's max power.

My mechanic is really really good- from a long generation of family mechanics. I watched him from start to finish as he worked on it and took pictures as he progressed. I even called the RaceChip tech because we changed the S2 settings to E based on your guys' suggestions. DO NOT DO THIS, lol. This is what threw the first Drivetrain Malfunction. The car would not throttle well at all and was giving very low power for all 3 modes (Eco, Comfort, and Sport). I took it back after driving 5 minutes, opened up the chip with him using the included torx tool and changed the S2 back to B as it was originally after talking to the tech from RaceChip. He said that's wrong information for the 5.0i chip - don't listen to people because they are wrong, lol. At the default settings (S1=1, S2=B), it is set for a reason for this particular chip apparently. The Drivetrain Malfunction error is still there and power is not outputting correctly, but this is supposed to correct itself after a few engine starts according to the RaceChip tech, which is why I will give proper feedback/results in a few days.

So far, not impressed/happy.

Last edited by opasha; 07-15-2014 at 04:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 04:25 PM   #30
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Hmm. Do you mind sharing the pictures? Or email them to me if you can.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 04:27 PM   #31
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Hmm. Do you mind sharing the pictures? Or email them to me if you can.
Not at all; I'd be happy to - I just said that I'd do it later because I'm busy right now. I took almost 15 pictures or so. I'll upload them shortly. I'm busy with some work currently, so I'll post in 30 minutes or so.
      07-14-2014, 04:52 PM   #32
barcelona
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: X

Opasha, slow down. Sounds like you got a lot on the go right now.
I would have thought that you would be riding fast with the new monster, congrats.
I guess you don't slow down because you like really fast cars.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 04:54 PM   #33
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcelona View Post
Opasha, slow down. Sounds like you got a lot on the go right now.
I would have thought that you would be riding fast with the new monster, congrats.
I guess you don't slow down because you like really fast cars.
Haha, I don't drive fast a lot to be honest. I just wanted to increase my throttle response for ECO and Comfort so they drive better similar to Sport mode. Sport mode being even faster is just a plus. I also wanted to see if I could gain MPG. The monster is my brother's car, thank you . I like to give the appearance of a sleeping beast for mine, lol.
      07-14-2014, 05:05 PM   #34
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

@r33, here's the full pic installation from start to finish - 24 pictures in total. He used his own small yellow zip ties to carefully secure everything. You can see there are 2 MAP sensors - one for each side. Can you or anyone go into detail about this stupid Drivetrain Malfunction. My mechanic even plugged into the OBD port to reset this error, but no dice.

http://s1325.photobucket.com/user/op...mate%20Install
      07-14-2014, 05:07 PM   #35
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

duplicate. please delete.
      07-14-2014, 06:16 PM   #36
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by opasha View Post
@r33, here's the full pic installation from start to finish - 24 pictures in total. He used his own small yellow zip ties to carefully secure everything. You can see there are 2 MAP sensors - one for each side. Can you or anyone go into detail about this stupid Drivetrain Malfunction. My mechanic even plugged into the OBD port to reset this error, but no dice.

http://s1325.photobucket.com/user/op...mate%20Install
@opasha,
If RaceChip meant to be connected to the TMAP sensor, that you got them correct.
Just FYI, the x5 5.0i is N63TU engine, it is different than the N63 engine that are on the 2009-2013 models.
You may want to bring that up to RaceChip guys.
I unfortunately wouldn't be able to help you further since I don't sell RaceChip.
Maybe @greentrbo95gst able to help you.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 06:40 PM   #37
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
@opasha,
If RaceChip meant to be connected to the TMAP sensor, that you got them correct.
Just FYI, the x5 5.0i is N63TU engine, it is different than the N63 engine that are on the 2009-2013 models.
You may want to bring that up to RaceChip guys.
I unfortunately wouldn't be able to help you further since I don't sell RaceChip.
Maybe @greentrbo95gst able to help you.
Yeah, thanks for the help regardless, buddy. I spoke to the same RaceChip tech guy, he told me it looked like everything was installed correctly. He says it supposedly takes him minutes to do (I don't believe him as I saw the whole process myself from one of the best mechanics in my town, but hey he maybe a super mechanic, so who knows ).

He also said that the Drivetrain Malfunction was most likely first caused by changing the S2 to E rather than leaving it as is on B. So yeah, anyone who buys a 5.0i chip, do not mess with the stock settings of the chip, leave S1 to 1 and S2 to B. He said the Drivetrain Malfunction should go away after a few engine starts if it was all installed correctly, which it was as I saw the whole process from start to finish. He said the OBD reset should have worked and was confused as to why my mechanic's machine wasn't able to do it. He said if the Drivetrain Malfunction error is still there after a few engine starts and does not go away on its own, something was not installed properly or is not catching a circuit correctly. Basically, I have to play the waiting game or get another shop to do a reset of this malfunction error. Obviously, BMW is out of the question because then they would see the tune. Taking it off is also not an option right now considering how long it took to put it on and then just to reset it and put it back on makes no sense. I'm not going to pay $120 for removal and reinstall, lol. He also said a lot of the guys here are misinformed in the forums with the S2 to E setting for the 3.5 models. He said it goes even higher than that and said something else about different engines and what they output (I kind of stopped listening to that since it had nothing to do with my engine).
      07-15-2014, 01:59 AM   #38
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

@opasha, I do remember greentrbo95gst test drove his neighbour's 5.0 with the Tune. Maybe he can chime in on the install.
Quote:
Originally Posted by greentrbo95gst View Post
Holy cow, I drove my neighbor's 50i with the tune today. It's a monster and it beats the e70 x5M in every category. Now I wish we went with the 50i, but wife likes the diesel idea and she overruled me. I am very jealous.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 02:12 AM   #39
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
@opasha, I do remember greentrbo95gst test drove his neighbour's 5.0 with the Tune. Maybe he can chime in on the install.
Yeah, that's what he told me and said it was ridiculously fast - this gave me great hope. I asked about the install a couple days ago with no reply back. Right now, seems like the only fix is for me to find a local auto shop or see if Midas can do a system clear of the Drivetrain Malfunction.

This is the orange triangle error code that keeps being thrown as I start the car: "Drivetrain Malfunction: Maximum Drivetrain Output Not Available." Also, the CEL is also lit on the right side of the Odometer cluster. I looked it up in M5 forums and people were saying this error comes up a lot randomly with low fuel and engine mods. Is this true? My fuel is about 1/4 tank, so I know I need to fill up. Could this have anything to do with it? The car definitely drives sluggish so I know it's not getting the MAX power output. I also saw on the Sport Display dials that it does not go past 120- usually it can go all the way to 400+ if I floor it (Max is 480 on the dials). The tech at RaceChip said that this Drivetrain error in the system is what is preventing the car from using the RaceChip tune chip correctly.

Also, we tried both the pink and red connectors and the red connector was the one that fit. I remember you saying it was the pink, but it wasn't apparently. It was this:

@r33, @wdimagineer, do you guys know if this can be cleared via coding? Do you know how to if it's possible? My mechanic did use the OBD port to try to clear it with his little tablet. Thanks.

Last edited by opasha; 07-15-2014 at 02:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 04:03 AM   #40
Gilly1964
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F15 30d MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by opasha View Post
... because there was a Driver Malfunction ...
Wow - That's impressive technology. I didn't know that by adding the Racechip the F15 could give us a medical at the same time as being a great car!

Where do you plug that bit in??
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 04:22 AM   #41
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

UPDATE:So, I called a few auto shops near me and no one has or knows anyone who has the software to reset the Drivetrain Malfunction error. They said only BMW has it since it's a 2014. The only way for me to take it there is to remove the tune . I'm now at my mechanic's about to remove it to see if the error will go away. I should have called RaceChip before doing anything. Everyone learn from my mistake and don't change the chip settings without asking RaceChip for your exact vehicle. Thankfully, the auto shop manager isn't charging for my mechanic to remove it because even he felt bad about my situation. At this point, I think I'm going to sell this chip and just wait for Dinan.

My mechanic wasn't coming in on time today so I ended up leaving because I've barely slept and need to catch up on sleep - have a busy day today as well. I'm going to take the car later today or tomorrow. What an experience.

As far as the feel of the car with the Drivetrain malfunction, it drives very shaky as if it wents to burst out power but isn't allowed to. The car literally shakes - I can feel the engine vibration as I slow/come to a stop. This is definitely not a good thing.

Last edited by opasha; 07-15-2014 at 08:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 09:18 AM   #42
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

You might want to look into the Burgertuning tune for your V8. I have a 2014 550i with the same N63TU and supposedly the old 2011-2013 TMAP based tunes for the 550 doesn't work on the updated 2014 motor. Burgertuning switched it up and now the newer cars use a MAF based tune which takes me seconds (not exaggerating at all) to install and go back to stock since the sensors is right on top of the engine.

Usually with CEL's it doesn't impact the way the car drives. Not to the point where you say its shaking etc... I am suspecting that the tune A) wasn't installed correctly or B) its not right for the N63TU.
      07-15-2014, 11:58 AM   #43
greentrbo95gst
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 M5 Comp

I saw the install and it's two TMAP plugs in front of your intercoolers.
I know 35i and 35d are different, but 50i seems to be the easiest out of all three for an install.
      07-15-2014, 12:17 PM   #44
greentrbo95gst
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 M5 Comp

Did you have a Drivetrain malfunction before the tune? I thought I read something about that in one of the threads.

I have a F10 M5 with BMS tune and catless downpipes and had Drivetrain malfunction message at the top of 4th gear because of air/fuel mixtures. It takes few driving cycles and it goes away on its own.