BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-14-2015, 10:03 AM   #1
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep
Drives: '22 X6M/'21 S1Krr

She looks good in high heels.

Good morning all. Please take a look at the pictures of my 2016 X6 sitting on the 22 inch wheels I put on her this weekend.

I ran these wheels on my 2009 X6 for about a year before I traded for the 650, so these sat in the garage for a while until I picked up the new toy last month.

The beefy wheels make this car look much more aggressive than the stock wheels, so that is a great improvement. Getting rid of the RFTs makes this car feel more nimble as well.

Overall, I am happy with this aftermarket set up, but I feel like the actual color of the wheels worked a lot better on my old sapphire black x6, and doesn't really match well with the current space gray color.

What are your honest opinions? Does it look fine they way it is now, or are these wheels in desperate need of refinishing / coloring because the two different gray colors don't work well together?

Let me know what you think.
Attached Images

12-14-2015, 10:24 AM   #2
Line Drive
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 50e  [0.00]
First, your headline-writing skills are excellent. Nice click-bait.

Second, we need more details on the "100% Human Hair" billboard.

Third, while I generally prefer contrast between body color and rims, I think yours work well, especially because those aren't the standard multi-spoke BMW rims. Looks bad-ass.
      12-14-2015, 10:33 AM   #3
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Line Drive
First, your headline-writing skills are excellent. Nice click-bait.

Second, we need more details on the "100% Human Hair" billboard.

Third, while I generally prefer contrast between body color and rims, I think yours work well, especially because those aren't the standard multi-spoke BMW rims. Looks bad-ass.
Thanks a lot, my man.

As for the click bait, I knew that would grab more attention than just another "look at my mods" thread. I honestly needed a gimmick, because some of the guys around here go all out on mods and make their cars very unique, while I not as creative (or rich enough) to play at that level.

I appreciate the comments on the look of the car. That is the exact reaction I want this thing to get. "Bad ass".

I want my X6 to give off a "tank" like presence, or looks like it's about to transform in to a 12 foot tall robot that would head but anyone with Prime in their name.

As for the human hair sign... well let's just say I picked a nice car wash/ detailing center next to a beauty salon for reasons closely related to other things I like in high heels.
      12-14-2015, 10:35 AM   #4
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

Personally I think the color combo works but the fat deep dish look makes the design look much older than the car itself. I think with a drop it will flow better. Strange because the F15 with 22's typically doesn't look like it needs a drop as much as it does for the X6.
      12-14-2015, 10:44 AM   #5
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l.
Personally I think the color combo works but the fat deep dish look makes the design look much older than the car itself. I think with a drop it will flow better. Strange because the F15 with 22's typically doesn't look like it needs a drop as much as it does for the X6.
Thanks Alan. Your opinion holds a lot of weight, because your X5 definitely works like inspiration to me.

I agree with you on the dated wheel style. Nowadays, the concave look is the modern style. I took your advice and had the rear wheels machined to 74.1 at a custom wheel shop in Queens. They had some nice concave style wheels that would look great on my car, but I can tell the quality wouldn't be as great as the quality of the forged wheels in the pictures above.

Tough choice for me this weekend when I was going back and forth on the decision of shelling out for brand new wheels or getting some use out of the wheels that sat in the garage for about 3 years.

As far a small the drop goes, I noticed a significant difference in the stance of the car when the Adaptive suspension is activated. When I put the car in sport mode, the suspension lowers and gives it that aggressive sporty look that a drop can achieve.

I may run this as my winter set up, then pick out a new set next spring for a more modern look.
      12-14-2015, 10:46 AM   #6
Alan l.
Major General
Rep

Maybe changing the color would make it work too. Darker finish so the wheels don't stand out more than the car. Espo powder coating runs about 6-700 per set of 22"s and that's with dismount/remounting tires.

Alan
      12-14-2015, 10:52 AM   #7
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep

Quote:
Maybe changing the color would make it work too. Darker finish so the wheels don't stand out more than the car. Espo powder coating runs about 6-700 per set of 22"s and that's with dismount/remounting tires.

Alan
Thanks for the tip. Where is Espo located? I may check them out this weekend to have that done.

I also need the TPMS installed because the error message won't go away. I get a "TPMS Malfunction " screen on my idrive now, which I find weird because the TPMS worked fine on my older X6.

Is it possible to take the TPMS out of the OEM wheels and have them mounted on these aftermarket wheels?
      12-14-2015, 11:00 AM   #8
Kzang
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i Msport SG

What about adding some extended flares? I know someone mentioned in the past that the X6 doesn't need flares but IMO the flares would give it a more aggressive stance. Other than that the deep dish makes your X6 aggressive.
      12-14-2015, 11:06 AM   #9
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzang
What about adding some extended flares? I know someone mentioned in the past that the X6 doesn't need flares but IMO the flares would give it a more aggressive stance. Other than that the deep dish makes your X6 aggressive.
Thanks, Kzang. The aggressive look is what I was going for, so I'm glad it's working.

I know you are one of the more knowledgeable X5/X6 modifiers around, so your input is highly appreciated.

I will most likely alter the look of these wheels in the near future for a more modern look. Not really interested in the extended fender flares though. That works on an X5, but I think it might be a bit much on the X6.
      12-14-2015, 11:11 AM   #10
Alan l.
Major General
Rep

The TPMS sensors from your old X6 won't work in the new car. BMW changes the sensors every few years for some reason.

Espo is located in Staten Island. He's a active member on the F80 M3 side and he has a facebook page. I've never used him but others have with good reviews.

Alan
      12-14-2015, 11:13 AM   #11
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep

Quote:
The TPMS sensors from your old X6 won't work in the new car. BMW changes the sensors every few years for some reason.

Espo is located in Staten Island. He's a active member on the F80 M3 side and he has a facebook page. I've never used him but others have with good reviews.

Alan
Nice. Thanks for the info. I will reach out to him and go over my options.
      12-14-2015, 11:15 AM   #12
stewy604
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 xDrive 35d M Sport

I agree, I think a subtle drop would help a lot. Going down just over an inch on my F15 made a world of difference IMO.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2015, 11:20 AM   #13
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewy604
I agree, I think a subtle drop would help a lot. Going down just over an inch on my F15 made a world of difference IMO.
I will check out the pics you posted to do a comparison.

I know what you mean because those wheel wells still have a lot of room to fill..... but one of the main reasons I went back to the X6 was for the ride height and ground clearance.

Decisions, decisions
      12-14-2015, 11:24 AM   #14
Doanster
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 F15 Carbon Black M-Sport

I like it, actually! Could use a small drop like others have said as the X6 is more car like (shape) vs the X5.
Bringing back deep dish is a welcome change IMO. Glad you could get the CB enlarged. I remember your post when you first discovered they wouldn't fit.
      12-14-2015, 11:35 AM   #15
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doanster
I like it, actually! Could use a small drop like others have said as the X6 is more car like (shape) vs the X5.
Bringing back deep dish is a welcome change IMO. Glad you could get the CB enlarged. I remember your post when you first discovered they wouldn't fit.
Excellent! Thanks for all the positive feedback.

This is the reason I always consult you guys. Having the CB machined to fit the car was an excellent idea... and a lot easier on the wallet, lol.

When I found out that these wheels wouldn't fit, believe me when I tell you that when I started shopping around for new wheels, my my bank account was about to look malnurished, especially since I'm dealing with the new car syndrome during the holiday season, lol.
      12-14-2015, 12:02 PM   #16
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Samurai of 2day I agree with the others, the car need an aggressive drop with that deep dish design.
AC Schnitzer or Eibach wouldn't cut it IMO.

TPMS wise, since you are going to dismount the stock to remove the TPMS and remount on the 22", unless the tire shop will give you a good deal on the labor, I would just get another set and throw it in to the 22".
Much easier and less headache when you are swapping wheel later on.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2015, 12:27 PM   #17
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33_RGSport
Samurai of 2day I agree with the others, the car need an aggressive drop with that deep dish design.
AC Schnitzer or Eibach wouldn't cut it IMO.

TPMS wise, since you are going to dismount the stock to remove the TPMS and remount on the 22", unless the tire shop will give you a good deal on the labor, I would just get another set and throw it in to the 22".
Much easier and less headache when you are swapping wheel later on.
Great advice. I will take your suggestion and pick up some fresh TPMS sensors for the 22s and leave the stock tires in tact.

I know you're in the business of aftermarket and OEM parts. Please PM me a price for a set of TPMS sensors that I could use in this situation.

Thanks again.
      12-14-2015, 04:32 PM   #18
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai of 2day View Post
Great advice. I will take your suggestion and pick up some fresh TPMS sensors for the 22s and leave the stock tires in tact.

I know you're in the business of aftermarket and OEM parts. Please PM me a price for a set of TPMS sensors that I could use in this situation.

Thanks again.
PM'ed.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2015, 10:30 PM   #19
alphaod
Mmmmm…
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15

Garage List
Personally I'd be concerned about the potholes, but then again I'm from NY aka pothole central.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2015, 10:42 PM   #20
wearenh
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 x5 x35i DHP

I think the silver on grey looks terrific .. I am a BIG fan of silver wheels
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2015, 04:52 AM   #21
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaod
Personally I'd be concerned about the potholes, but then again I'm from NY aka pothole central.
Potholes are definitely a concern for me as well. I rarely stray from the 5 boroughs, so I am familiar with dodging potholes.

I'm glad we have been having a very mild December, so the roads haven't been freezing and cracking. January is around the corner though, so pothole season is coming up fast.

Over the years, I have learned to keep a sharp eye out for them, and slow down on unfamiliar roads in order to avoid damaging my car on the horrible roads we deal with during the colder months.
      12-15-2015, 04:58 AM   #22
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wearenh
I think the silver on grey looks terrific .. I am a BIG fan of silver wheels
I'm glad to have gotten quite a few positive comments from you guys... AND on the street yesterday.

Looks like the silver against Space gray works well after all.

When I had the wheels mounted on Saturday, I felt that the silver clashes too much with the gray, but most of you are giving me thumbs up, so I definitely appreciate that.

I still may get these wheels refinished to a gun metal color this spring. I will give it a chance to grow on me and see how I feel in a couple months.