BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-07-2017, 04:28 AM   #1
cretanu
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M 5.0d

Waze on navigation screen

I would like to connect waze from my mobile phone to appear on the navigation screen. Does anyone knows if is possible and, if yes, how?
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2017, 06:28 AM   #2
mermar
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 330e xdrive

I'm my '16 x5 (no car play) ...I use the BMW nav and then connect Waze via Bluetooth. So I have the very good HUD from the BMW nav and waze alerts via audio. If I'm covering many miles - I might plug in my radar detector. My speed in the x5 is higher then my M3 as the x5 50i cruises so quiet/ smooth/ effortlessly. Easy to hit 90 when you think you are going 75.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2017, 10:49 AM   #3
FourDoor
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cretanu View Post
I would like to connect waze from my mobile phone to appear on the navigation screen. Does anyone knows if is possible and, if yes, how?
Waze isn't one of the approved Carplay apps so even if you have the newer unit with Carplay, you won't be able to see it on your screen.

From what I've seen, the only way it can be done is through one of those aftermarket HDMI input adapters like in this video below:

You'd have to get one of these input adapters and run an HDMI cable out to where you can connect your iPhone. From your iPhone, you'll need a Lightning to HDMI adapter to finish the connection. Then lastly you'll need to turn on mirroring on your iphone. The kicker though is that you still need to use your iPhone for input changes like changing destinations since the screen is just a display and the iDrive system doesn't have any way to send inputs back to your iPhone.

It's not the most convenient way to get Waze on the screen but until someone is able to jailbreak Carplay units to let you run anything you want natively, workarounds like this is the only way. That or you wait until Waze becomes an approved Carplay app but I wouldn't hold my breath too long waiting for it.
Appreciate 1
Flying Ace4982.50
      03-08-2017, 11:24 AM   #4
cretanu
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M 5.0d

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourDoor View Post
Waze isn't one of the approved Carplay apps so even if you have the newer unit with Carplay, you won't be able to see it on your screen.

From what I've seen, the only way it can be done is through one of those aftermarket HDMI input adapters like in this video below:

You'd have to get one of these input adapters and run an HDMI cable out to where you can connect your iPhone. From your iPhone, you'll need a Lightning to HDMI adapter to finish the connection. Then lastly you'll need to turn on mirroring on your iphone. The kicker though is that you still need to use your iPhone for input changes like changing destinations since the screen is just a display and the iDrive system doesn't have any way to send inputs back to your iPhone.

It's not the most convenient way to get Waze on the screen but until someone is able to jailbreak Carplay units to let you run anything you want natively, workarounds like this is the only way. That or you wait until Waze becomes an approved Carplay app but I wouldn't hold my breath too long waiting for it.
Thank you very much for your answer. It looks like there is a half way solution and my feeling is that this will void your BMW warranty. I will think about...
Appreciate 0