Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 16 X5 50i

Invisihitch update

I inquired about a hitch for my 16 X5, This is the latest info I received,

To Mk Dv
Today at 8:06 AM

Good morning,

Hitch information is attached the BMW X5 F15 Chassis (2014 to 2017). We are currently launching our new Invisihitch website. Please call us at the number below to order.

Our hitch is completely invisible while not in use. When you get ready to use the hitch, there is an attachment that locks into place. The aesthetic beauty of the vehicle is maintained while adding lifestyle functionality. Visible bars and bumper cutouts are not required, nor is ground clearance sacrificed. We connect in the same locations as the North American version BMW hitch, yet we do not have visible parts. We are the BMW hitch supplier in some countries.

We offer detachable connectors (2" and 1 1/4") that convert our hitch into a square tube receiver that accepts current versions of bike racks, ski racks, cargo platforms and other miscellaneous square tube accessories. See attached "detachable bike rack connector" photo. A wiring harness is not required if this is your only application.

For towing, our ball mount performs differently than a square tube hitch and receiver. Our hitch connects directly to the hitch receiver block, creating a solid connection to the vehicle frame, thus eliminating the jerking and banging associated with the square tube receiver during starts and stops. It feels like an extension of your vehicle, not a connected load. This solid connection creates less wear and tear on the vehicle transmission. See attached "detachable ball mount" photo. The towing and tongue weight capacities for this vehicle are listed on hitch receiver installation information (7700 lbs. tow, 600 lbs. tongue).

We offer the OEM harness that gives you the capability for additional functions. The OEM harness gives you the ability to have your vehicle reprogrammed to perform the following functions: 1) disable the park distance control when reversing with a connected trailer, 2) stability control for heavy loads utilizing the antilock brakes and 3) rear camera zoom at the trailer connection point. We can program your vehicle remotely so you do not need to go to the dealer for programming.

BMW X5 (F15) pricing (including shipping):

Rack-Only Package (towing only)
$ 615
· Invisihitch receiver with vertical latching mechanism
· Detachable 2” square receiver

Both Towing and Rack Capable (w/active harness)
$ 1,219

Invisihitch receiver with vertical latching mechanism
Detachable 2” square receiver
Detachable ballmount for towing
Safety chain anchors
Active trailer-lights wiring harness
Control module for the wiring harness
Brackets for vertical mounting of 7-way receptacle
Remote vehicle programming via the internet

Rori Disla
Invisihitch
4250 Brogdon Exch
Suite A
Suwanee, GA 30024
678-400-0121

Last edited by ArmyRn33; 05-09-2017 at 12:55 PM..
Appreciate 1
      05-10-2017, 10:02 AM   #2
hawkerdriver
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyRn33 View Post

To Mk Dv

Good morning,

Hitch information is attached the BMW X5 F15 Chassis (2014 to 2017). We are currently launching our new Invisihitch website. Please call us at the number below to order.

Our hitch is completely invisible while not in use. When you get ready to use the hitch, there is an attachment that locks into place. The aesthetic beauty of the vehicle is maintained while adding lifestyle functionality. Visible bars and bumper cutouts are not required, nor is ground clearance sacrificed. We connect in the same locations as the North American version BMW hitch, yet we do not have visible parts. We are the BMW hitch supplier in some countries.

We offer detachable connectors (2" and 1 1/4") that convert our hitch into a square tube receiver that accepts current versions of bike racks, ski racks, cargo platforms and other miscellaneous square tube accessories. See attached "detachable bike rack connector" photo. A wiring harness is not required if this is your only application.

For towing, our ball mount performs differently than a square tube hitch and receiver. Our hitch connects directly to the hitch receiver block, creating a solid connection to the vehicle frame, thus eliminating the jerking and banging associated with the square tube receiver during starts and stops. It feels like an extension of your vehicle, not a connected load. This solid connection creates less wear and tear on the vehicle transmission. See attached "detachable ball mount" photo. The towing and tongue weight capacities for this vehicle are listed on hitch receiver installation information (7700 lbs. tow, 600 lbs. tongue).

We offer the OEM harness that gives you the capability for additional functions. The OEM harness gives you the ability to have your vehicle reprogrammed to perform the following functions: 1) disable the park distance control when reversing with a connected trailer, 2) stability control for heavy loads utilizing the antilock brakes and 3) rear camera zoom at the trailer connection point. We can program your vehicle remotely so you do not need to go to the dealer for programming.

$ 615

$ 1,219

Safety chain anchors

Rori Disla
Invisihitch
4250 Brogdon Exch
Suite A
Suwanee, GA 30024
678-400-0121
I assume this is compatible with the M-Sport versions?

I'm pretty sure I'm going this route
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2017, 10:22 AM   #3
BigEEE
Rep
Drives: 2016 X35d

I was very pleased with my experience with them. The hitch was installed at the local BMW dealership without any problems.
      05-10-2017, 10:58 AM   #4
Terp335
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 2011 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkerdriver View Post
Quote:

To Mk Dv

Good morning,

$ 615

$ 1,219

Safety chain anchors

Rori Disla
Invisihitch
4250 Brogdon Exch
Suite A
Suwanee, GA 30024
678-400-0121
I assume this is compatible with the M-Sport versions?

I'm pretty sure I'm going this route
It is.
Appreciate 1
      05-10-2017, 11:43 AM   #5
taxjoc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 50i & 2015 Z4 35i

I installed this hitch on my 2016 X5 50i back in about July 2016. I love the hitch and the use of the factory wiring harness. The best part is the disabling of the park distance control ("PDC") when you have a trailer connected (but for bike racks, there is a special adaptor to disable the PDC) as well as the zoom feature on the rear view camera. I love it.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2017, 12:45 AM   #6
Dr_Dave_X5
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X5 xDrive35i

I ordered my Invisihitch for my 2017 X5 35i on Wednesday, May 10, 2017 about 11:30 am. It went out by FedEx that same afternoon about 3:15 pm. It reached my local FedEx office and was on the truck for delivery at 3:45 on Friday afternoon at 4:50, May 12, 2017. They don't do regular delivery on Saturday, so it will be here on Monday morning. Pretty fast service!

My local BMW dealer wanted way too much to install the hitch ($1,130) so I'm taking it to an independent BMW repair shop that does great work who will do the install for $350, including arranging the reprogramming with the Invisihitch programmer. The Invisihitch people were awesome to work with!
      05-14-2017, 07:34 AM   #7
nelsdvn
Gangnam Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2, '15 X5d

I'd like to second the positive experience. I purchased a Invisihitch for my 2015 X5d about two weeks ago. Product arrived within two days. It took me 3.5 hours to install myself. The delay was assembling the 7 wire round connector twice since I did not like how much extra wire resulted from using the full length resulting in a disassembly, trim, reassembly of that component. Instructions are spot on and if followed will achieve the desired result. Obviously pre-coding there will be a check control message for trailer lights. Ignore until your coding session. It took a few days to coordinate schedules with OK to get the remote coding done. That is about an hour process once he gets going. Can't say enough about the quality of this hitch and the absolute invisibility once installed.
      05-20-2017, 07:50 AM   #8
expidia
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxjoc View Post
I installed this hitch on my 2016 X5 50i back in about July 2016. I love the hitch and the use of the factory wiring harness. The best part is the disabling of the park distance control ("PDC") when you have a trailer connected (but for bike racks, there is a special adaptor to disable the PDC) as well as the zoom feature on the rear view camera. I love it.
2016 X5
I installed system myself two weeks ago and it was coded by them. Can you open your trunk by your fob, door switch and or tailgate switch when your trailer is hooked up and the trailer harness is plugged in.
I'm having issues after it was coded in that I have to unplug the harness to get the tailgate to open?

Also a new issue has popped up where its giving me dash errors that the parking assistant is unavailable? And I have to press OK every time in reverse to get the rear camera to go on.

Is there another thread that can point me to some people on this site that know about trailer coding?
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2017, 05:27 PM   #9
positiveions
Lieutenant General
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 19 Tacoma, 16 Golf wagon

Garage List
Anyone had a positive experience with an independent BMW shop installing the Invisihitch in SoCal?
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2017, 08:18 PM   #10
ArmyRn33
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 16 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by positiveions View Post
Anyone had a positive experience with an independent BMW shop installing the Invisihitch in SoCal?
I had the same ?about an installer in central Iowa and emailed invisihitch and they gave me info on reliable shops they recommend....
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2017, 09:52 AM   #11
positiveions
Lieutenant General
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 19 Tacoma, 16 Golf wagon

Garage List
Quote:
I had the same ?about an installer in central Iowa and emailed invisihitch and they gave me info on reliable shops they recommend....
Yes they do have a list. However, looking for someone with positive feedbacks with dos and donts.
Btw an RN here too
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2017, 11:49 AM   #12
MN2///M
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: very fast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by expidia View Post
2016 X5
Is there another thread that can point me to some people on this site that know about trailer coding?
Execuhitch uses a subcontractor to do the coding; I think it was Code My Car if I remember correctly. My experience with them was very good, contact them again and I'm pretty sure they will work out whatever the issues are with the coding.

OPASHA is the most knowledgeable that I have ran across for F15 coding.

Here is the link for the coding thread:
Coding
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2017, 05:49 PM   #13
expidia
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN2///M View Post
Execuhitch uses a subcontractor to do the coding; I think it was Code My Car if I remember correctly. My experience with them was very good, contact them again and I'm pretty sure they will work out whatever the issues are with the coding.

OPASHA is the most knowledgeable that I have ran across for F15 coding.

Here is the link for the coding thread:
Coding
Thanks for your reply. Yes, Okee was the one who coded my car. The first time he tried to code it he could not get the car to recognize the controller box. Steve from invisihitch sent me a new box and Okee was able to program it this time.

But I'm still having the two glitches. Okee suggested I take it to a bmw dealer to check the system out to make sure its wired correctly. I'm going to set up an appointment with the dealership tomorrow.

I know I snapped the 4 color coded wires into their correct holes in the back of the fuse box. Checked everything out 4 or 5 times already. The two canbus wires are connected correctly. And the two color coded wires are also in their correct holes in the connection plug behind the fuse box.

It will be interesting to see what the bmw dealer finds.
I'm betting its a coding issue.

The reason I asked about coding is I wanted to ask another coder other than Okee if they have seen this issue. Okee has reached a dead end with the situation and says the car is coded correctly.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2017, 10:03 AM   #14
MN2///M
Captain
United_States
Rep

My install and coding went perfectly, sorry you are having problems. The vehicle does sense when the trailer is plugged in and changes some parameters, but pretty sure all this is selectable in the coding also. I meant to check mine to see how it operates with the trailer plugged in.

I'll try and find some time to plug my trailer in and see specifically how mine behaves, never really paid attention to it beyond the initial install and I don't tow often.

I would recommend posting your question in the coding forum; pretty sure someone can tell you what parameters control what functions. Coding is pretty easy if you want to dive in. I've done coding for my M4 and X5 and the hardest part was getting started and the associated worrying about messing with the computers in your car. Lots of good help out there though.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2017, 03:06 PM   #15
Florida-X3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 x30i / '12 Infiniti M37

I recently bought a 2014 X5 and it has the OEM hitch, controller box, etc. Only thing missing is either a receiver or ball hitch. My question is, is there a way to test the electronics to make sure everything is working correctly before I actually plug something in to tow?
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2017, 06:22 PM   #16
F15GorDe
Well versed in the care and feeding of BMWs
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15d, F10

Any good trailer service center has a test lighting kit. Some have a test kit for sale.

The last thing that occurs at the INVISIHITCH factory when you have them do the install and coding is plugging in their fixture for the purpose of showing the customer that all lighting and camera zoom are functional.

BTW thanks, again, to Steve and crew in Suwanee at the factory.
      05-30-2017, 07:00 AM   #17
expidia
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
My install and coding went perfectly, sorry you are having problems. The vehicle does sense when the trailer is plugged in and changes some parameters, but pretty sure all this is selectable in the coding also. I meant to check mine to see how it operates with the trailer plugged in.

I'll try and find some time to plug my trailer in and see specifically how mine behaves, never really paid attention to it beyond the initial install and I don't tow often.

I would recommend posting your question in the coding forum; pretty sure someone can tell you what parameters control what functions. Coding is pretty easy if you want to dive in. I've done coding for my M4 and X5 and the hardest part was getting started and the associated worrying about messing with the computers in your car. Lots of good help out there though.
Thx for your reply. I'm going to do one more step before I set up and appointment at the BMW dealer.
I just want to drop the harness female socket which is under the car and recheck the 7 color coded wires to make sure they match up with the numbered screws.

Then I'll bring it to BMW for them to check the harness and control box that came from invisihitch. They are both supposed to be OEM, so the bmw dealer should not have a problem testing or working on it.

For the PDC error that goes off sometimes when I stop at a light it seems to me when parking or an object is too close sensor that its faulty or is programed to sensitive or was programmed incorrectly.

Both my issues appear to be sensor related as I still cant open the trunk when the trailer harness is plugged in which is also why I want to check the 7 wires going to the female socket. One of those wires or the center ground wire might also be loose.

Without the trailer, the PDC goes off when another car pulls up next to me maybe twice on a 20 min drive on its own too while driving on the highway.

Since my bmw dealer does not sell the invisihitch I'm hoping they will charge me an hourly rate to check the system. I never asked them if they would install it for me though as I wanted to do it myself.

I have had some quirky issues with the sensor even previous to my installing the hitch. I thought it was just my inexperience with owning the X5 for only 3 months. Sometimes in my driveway when its close to house it wont go into reverse and keeps dropping back into park. And it takes 3 or 4 attempts to finally get it to stay in reverse or I'm turning the PDC switch off at the same time to get it into reverse but the PDC comes right back on. I was going to bring it to the dealer for that, but had to get hitch installed because im already in the boating season. The car has a full 4 year warranty left but I know the dealer is not going to honor that for a possible PDC issue since Okee was into the coding.

Re coding myself im avoiding that until the dealer checks it. I know I can code it myself using the coding forum tips here (I already have the coding ethernet cable that came with invisihitch) but Im already making a career of this which is very annoying.

Last edited by expidia; 05-30-2017 at 07:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2017, 09:41 AM   #18
MN2///M
Captain
United_States
Rep

To clarify. PDC will turn on automatically at low speed and depending on a few factors may give you the overhead or the rear view camera. I have to go through a guard shack in the morning for work and the protective wall they have will trigger the front PDC many times and give me the overhead camera view. I'm thinking that behavior may be normal, but the dealer will be happy to go through the operation with you. If they have a BMW Genius, this is what their job is.

Pretty sure that the standard operation (without coding) when a trailer plugged in is to turn off the rear PDC and disable the remote rear hatch release. Coding allows you to customize this, but if not coded, the only way you can open the rear hatch is manually with the button on the hatch.

I'm confused by your statement "it wont go into reverse and keeps dropping back into park"; are you talking gear or PDC here? I'd show the BMW Genius, he can confirm proper operation and it won't cost you a dime and you can just drop by the dealer to have it looked at.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2017, 12:23 PM   #19
expidia
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
To clarify. PDC will turn on automatically at low speed and depending on a few factors may give you the overhead or the rear view camera. I have to go through a guard shack in the morning for work and the protective wall they have will trigger the front PDC many times and give me the overhead camera view. I'm thinking that behavior may be normal, but the dealer will be happy to go through the operation with you. If they have a BMW Genius, this is what their job is.

Pretty sure that the standard operation (without coding) when a trailer plugged in is to turn off the rear PDC and disable the remote rear hatch release. Coding allows you to customize this, but if not coded, the only way you can open the rear hatch is manually with the button on the hatch.

I'm confused by your statement "it wont go into reverse and keeps dropping back into park"; are you talking gear or PDC here? I'd show the BMW Genius, he can confirm proper operation and it won't cost you a dime and you can just drop by the dealer to have it looked at.
Thx. Yes my dealership has a genius rep. Im talking about when my car is parked my front steps are 5 feet from the bumper and the PDC goes off somehow preventing the car from going into the reverse gear. I push the shift forward and the selection goes back into park. Takes several back and forths of the drive selector to move the car.
Then when I pull the car along side the house to back down the driveway the same issues starts all over.
I also noticed if the door is not completely closed I cant start the car which is probably normal I guess.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2017, 06:40 AM   #20
expidia
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsdvn View Post
I'd like to second the positive experience. I purchased a Invisihitch for my 2015 X5d about two weeks ago. Product arrived within two days. It took me 3.5 hours to install myself. The delay was assembling the 7 wire round connector twice since I did not like how much extra wire resulted from using the full length resulting in a disassembly, trim, reassembly of that component. Instructions are spot on and if followed will achieve the desired result. Obviously pre-coding there will be a check control message for trailer lights. Ignore until your coding session. It took a few days to coordinate schedules with OK to get the remote coding done. That is about an hour process once he gets going. Can't say enough about the quality of this hitch and the absolute invisibility once installed.
Since you did the round connector twice maybe you can remember the answer to this question that I emailed steve at invisihitch yesterday and I'm awaiting a reply.

Today I pulled down the 7 wire female socket under the bumper to double check that I did the wiring correctly before I bring it into my bmw dealer for them to check out why I can’t open my trunk with fob, door switch or tailgate switch when the trailer harness is plugged in
and I’m also getting frequent PDC warnings even with the trailer not connected. This could also be a PDC sensor not coded correctly or a sensor that is faulty.

My question is there are "two" blue and yellow wires. I have the one with the thicker blue stripe going into the center terminal (7 center) as per the directions. And the thinner blue stripe is screwed into (6-brown) Is this correct?
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2017, 01:10 PM   #21
MN2///M
Captain
United_States
Rep

The Yellow/Blue wire that goes to Pin 6-Brown should be the same diameter as the Blue/Red wire in terminal 5-Red. The Blue/Yellow wire, which if I remember correctly is the larger wire since it operates the surge brakes.

Are you plugging in a trailer that uses a 7 pin connector or a 7 pin to 4 wire flat?

If the flat 4 wire, only pins 5, 6, 3, and 1 will be in use when the trailer is plugged in. If you reversed pin 6 and 7, then your right turn/brake light will not function.

If wiring is an issue, I would lean more towards the CANbus or fuse box wiring. What happens if you unplug the controller module? Do the weird issues go away? If so, definitely something with the wiring or controller.

If not, I would lean towards a bad controller or something odd in the coding. You can reset the coding through ECU coding I believe. I'm not good enough with that to tell you how to do it off the top of my head, but seem to remember it being pretty straight forward with instructions posted on the coding forum. If you are so inclined, some of the really knowledgeable coders here will review coding if you can pull and email the files.

I've never had PDC put the car into park, so something really weird there. Maybe you have several issues that are unrelated to the hitch. NOT an expert here, but pretty sure that all the communication between the module and vehicle occurs over the CANbus, so would not think that mis-wiring of the 7 pin would cause the issues you are describing. I also would think that if you did not have the CANbus wired in correctly, that Okee could have coded the module. Just thinking out loud here, but if a power wire was out of place, the module may not be fully powered which could cause some weird issues possibly.

If you have the skills, I would verify power at the end opposite of the fuse block for correct voltage.

Really interested to see how this comes out.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2017, 04:26 PM   #22
expidia
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
The Yellow/Blue wire that goes to Pin 6-Brown should be the same diameter as the Blue/Red wire in terminal 5-Red. The Blue/Yellow wire, which if I remember correctly is the larger wire since it operates the surge brakes.

Are you plugging in a trailer that uses a 7 pin connector or a 7 pin to 4 wire flat?

If the flat 4 wire, only pins 5, 6, 3, and 1 will be in use when the trailer is plugged in. If you reversed pin 6 and 7, then your right turn/brake light will not function.

If wiring is an issue, I would lean more towards the CANbus or fuse box wiring. What happens if you unplug the controller module? Do the weird issues go away? If so, definitely something with the wiring or controller.

If not, I would lean towards a bad controller or something odd in the coding. You can reset the coding through ECU coding I believe. I'm not good enough with that to tell you how to do it off the top of my head, but seem to remember it being pretty straight forward with instructions posted on the coding forum. If you are so inclined, some of the really knowledgeable coders here will review coding if you can pull and email the files.

I've never had PDC put the car into park, so something really weird there. Maybe you have several issues that are unrelated to the hitch. NOT an expert here, but pretty sure that all the communication between the module and vehicle occurs over the CANbus, so would not think that mis-wiring of the 7 pin would cause the issues you are describing. I also would think that if you did not have the CANbus wired in correctly, that Okee could have coded the module. Just thinking out loud here, but if a power wire was out of place, the module may not be fully powered which could cause some weird issues possibly.

If you have the skills, I would verify power at the end opposite of the fuse block for correct voltage.

Really interested to see how this comes out.
Thx for staying on top of my issue. I really appreciate the feed back.
Darly from invisihitch emailed me back on the wire color coded designations:

"One wire is Yellow/blue, and the other is Blue/yellow. In wire color designations, the dominant color is listed first and the stripe color is listed second.

If you are having PDC errors, you don't have a coding issue. Likely a wire or connector was pulled during installation."

So it looks like im good on the round plug wiring (it is a flat 4 prong plug with no surge brakes) but their directions showed to attach all 7 wires to their respective posts.

I made an appt with my local bmw dealer for next tues. I've used a particular tech before that solved an issue I had where two other techs missed it. So I requested him.

One thing that did happen during my wiring install is the two canbus plug wires are very thin and when I went to plug one one side of the connector the wire snapped off, so I had to cut the connector off on both sides of the harness and I soldered them together and then heat shrunk the connection.

I'll note this to the tech because I read in one thread where the owner unplugged the canbus connector and then replugged it back together and the issue he was having was solved. I never tried that since the connection is now soldered.

The tech should not refuse to work on this issue for me because they dont do invisihitch installs there (I would have gladly paid them labor). And the harness and controller box that came from invisihitch is supposed to be bmw OEM.

Here are pics of my canbus repair:
Sorry if I hijacked OP's thread

Last edited by expidia; 05-31-2017 at 08:21 PM..
Appreciate 0