BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-20-2021, 08:23 PM   #1
rere2
Rep
Drives: X6M

iDrive/Navigation Display not powering up...

2015 x6m. Got the car 4 days ago, and suddenly the display won't start, audio doesn't work, and the parking safety stuff doesn't make any sounds (button by puck is lit up). Basically the whole navigation display/audio system is down. AC/Temp displays above the audio stuff still seems to work however.

Yesterday (when it happened), it worked most of the day, then went to start her up and the menu systems on the display seemed to come up and show all the icons, but there as no text by any of the items or maps or anything else. The puck basically worked, but there was nothing loaded besides the interface.

Figured it was some quirk or I did something wrong (since I'm still learning it) and just drove it that way, parked it, and figured it would reset after I was gone for an hour. When I came back and started the car it was completely black, as if no power to the unit at all. Has been that way ever since.

Looked through the fuses and pulled/checked a bunch, not certain the correct ones though, I tried all the ones that were with the simple rectangular icon (assuming that was the display), but they were all fine visually. Will look through the manuals to see if I was hunting in the wrong place...

FWIW, when I received the car (transport), the battery was nearly drained (battery messages on tachometer), started it up, went for a short ride, was fine, came back, tried another ride an hour later and battery was done. Let it sit for a bit, and eventually it had enough power to start her, then took it for a longer ride to charge up. No battery issues since then. Not sure if that initial low has anything to do with this though.

I did find one fuse under the passenger front that was 'mostly' out and at an angle, which I thought was odd, it looked like it was fine, so I pushed it back to its spot.

No idea what else to try, hoping for suggestions, otherwise I have appointment with a local BMW shop...
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2021, 10:11 PM   #2
turboawd
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i

So you get nothing now on the screen when you turn car on?
Maybe previous owner tapped into that loose fuse for power for a dash cam or something.
Have you tried pressing and holding in the volume button for 30 seconds? That's supposed to force a reboot.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2021, 10:20 PM   #3
rere2
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboawd View Post
So you get nothing now on the screen when you turn car on?
Maybe previous owner tapped into that loose fuse for power for a dash cam or something.
Have you tried pressing and holding in the volume button for 30 seconds? That's supposed to force a reboot.
Correct, screen appears to not be getting any power. Audio doesn't work either.

I tried the volume/30s thing, didn't seem to register as having done anything. Tried it with car off, ignition on, engine on, nothing mattered. Also tried puck down plus Disc eject down for 30, as well as car start button down for 30.

The car has the BMW Eye2 camera system installed, haven't messed with it yet, as I don't have a microSD laying around. Strangely enough, a 3x3 section of plastic right underneath the fuse box (in the passenger section) has a bunch of holes drilled into it, not sure if that's stock or some kind of cooling someone did...

I'm assuming if the AC/display portion works (i.e. it shows me the temp setting as well as lets me control fan speed/etc), then the second battery in the back is working properly? I believe there's a standard battery for starting and a second (the 'big' one) for everything else right? I should probably test both batteries with a multimeter just to be sure, just scared I'll fry something
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2021, 10:30 PM   #4
turboawd
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i

Did you have to boost or jump the car when you got it from transport? That can cause issues if you connected a booster with the ignition on.
I'd double check the fuses. Then i would probably disconnect the batteries for a bit. Then reconnect. Other than that, you either have a bad i drive unit, or a bad or loose connection to it?
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2021, 10:56 PM   #5
rere2
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboawd View Post
Did you have to boost or jump the car when you got it from transport? That can cause issues if you connected a booster with the ignition on.
I'd double check the fuses. Then i would probably disconnect the batteries for a bit. Then reconnect. Other than that, you either have a bad i drive unit, or a bad or loose connection to it?
No boost/jump was necessary. I'll look for some documentation for the fuse icons to see which ones I should be checking.

I'm assuming I should be able to use a multimeter to check both batteries while they're connected right?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2023, 03:47 PM   #6
jccj
Registered
Rep
Drives: X5

How did you solve the problem? My x5 now has a similar problem as yours. The fuse is good. I thought there might be a separate battery to power the control display, but couldn’t find any information about it.
Appreciate 0