BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5 and X6 (F15/F16) Forum

02-06-2023, 03:13 PM   #1
ErikV55
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 xDrive35i M Sport

AVIN 10.25" Multimedia Navigation System for BMW X5 X6 Series F15 F16 F85

Anyone have one of these installed? Seems like a lot of info out there are the cheaper Chinese ones. I want to specifically use wireless Android Auto. Looking for impressions on those who have installed.

https://avinusa.com/10-25-multimedia...s-f15-f16.html
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2023, 08:49 AM   #2
kevoncox
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikV55 View Post
Anyone have one of these installed? Seems like a lot of info out there are the cheaper Chinese ones. I want to specifically use wireless Android Auto. Looking for impressions on those who have installed.

I just installed a 4x4ca 12.3 system. I assume they are very similar. My version has the pseudo-ID8 interface. I really love it. I have installed android systems in my last 2 cars and I find it hard to live without. I prefer Google maps to our navigation system (I have a HUD) and I let my wife watch Netflix while I drive. The only thing I hate is always having to connect it to wifi. Wish I had an automatic way of turning on my hotspot when my Bluetooth connects. Unfortunately, I believe android disabled this function back on Android 8. Worst-case scenario, you simply don't use the Android function and it gives you a sharper picture of the OEM screen.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2023, 04:01 PM   #3
AxelDoobie
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
The only thing I hate is always having to connect it to wifi. Wish I had an automatic way of turning on my hotspot when my Bluetooth connects. .
Can you elaborate on this a bit? When you use android auto (via cable or wireless?) doesn't it automatically relay the Google maps directions & data from your phone to your new screen?
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2023, 06:11 PM   #4
AxelDoobie
Rep

Quote:
Wish I had an automatic way of turning on my hotspot when my Bluetooth connects
BTW this is very easily accomplished using the Tasker app. https://old.reddit.com/r/tasker/comm...tooth/etf0cgq/
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2023, 06:46 PM   #5
kevoncox
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxelDoobie View Post
BTW this is very easily accomplished using the Tasker app. https://old.reddit.com/r/tasker/comm...tooth/etf0cgq/
Tried it.
Google disabled it in Android 8.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2023, 06:49 PM   #6
kevoncox
Private
Rep

Quote:
Can you elaborate on this a bit? When you use android auto (via cable or wireless?) doesn't it automatically relay the Google maps directions & data from your phone to your new screen?
I don't you Android auto.
Built into the unit is Android. Think of this system as a tablet that needs wifi.
Android auto runs a bit slower than I like in my past experience. I rather just connect it to my phone (hotspot) and run it off the "tablet"
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2023, 07:10 PM   #7
kevoncox
Private
Rep

Quote:
Didn't check in for a while on tasker. There is a helper app now that fixes this. Thanks for the reminder. It's working great.

Last edited by kevoncox; 02-10-2023 at 09:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2023, 07:16 PM   #8
kangfu84
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M

Quote:
Built into the unit is Android. Think of this system as a tablet that needs wifi.
Android auto runs a bit slower than I like in my past experience. I rather just connect it to my phone (hotspot) and run it off the "tablet"
Any particular reason you don't use Android Auto so you don't need to setup hotspot on your phone?

I'm looking to install the same unit but use Android Auto mostly so I can still get whatsapp messages etc read aloud while driving etc
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2023, 12:12 AM   #9
MPizza
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 M-Sport

sucks you cant use touchscreen with carplay on this
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2023, 09:28 AM   #10
kevoncox
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kangfu84 View Post
Any particular reason you don't use Android Auto so you don't need to setup hotspot on your phone?

I'm looking to install the same unit but use Android Auto mostly so I can still get whatsapp messages etc read aloud while driving etc
Android auto is a bit more limiting than just using this as an integrated tablet. On long trips, my wife watches Netflix and movies. Also, my past experience with android auto/car play has been it doesn't look as good.
Appreciate 2
      02-10-2023, 12:28 PM   #11
crystalworks
Captain
Rep
Drives: Many BMW's

Quote:
Android auto is a bit more limiting than just using this as an integrated tablet. On long trips, my wife watches Netflix and movies. Also, my past experience with android auto/car play has been it doesn't look as good.
I agree. I much prefer native Android to Auto.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2023, 01:08 PM   #12
SupersixM
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw X6M

Android 13 has a tasker type situation built right in. From the second BT connects my hotspot kicks in. I'm using a Galaxy S21 Ultra Android 13 and my unit is Android 12 unit. Works great.

To OP, all these Android HUs are Chinese. Just repackaged and sold. Android Auto/ Car play is nothing compared to raw Android multiscreen niceness.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2023, 02:47 PM   #13
kevoncox
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersixM View Post
Android 13 has a tasker type situation built right in. From the second BT connects my hotspot kicks in. I'm using a Galaxy S21 Ultra Android 13 and my unit is Android 12 unit. Works great.

To OP, all these Android HUs are Chinese. Just repackaged and sold. Android Auto/ Car play is nothing compared to raw Android multiscreen niceness.
Can you explain how you do this?
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2023, 03:05 PM   #14
kangfu84
Private
Rep

Quote:
Ah OK that makes sense. In my case I'd want to be able to do handsfree whatsapp messaging so might still use Android Auto over native Android.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2023, 03:54 PM   #15
tmwmad
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: w e90 320d

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikV55 View Post

I have an Avin 10.25 Android Screen fitted in my 2015 F15. Although I have the iPhone and use wireless Carplay, it is so much better and modern than standard OEM screen imo. This is the second unit I've bought off Avin ( one for my last e70 X5) and so far I've never had a problem that a reset or software upgrade couldn't fix. I've found Avin have great customer service and they have been very helpful when I have contacted them. The unit itself works seamlessly going from OEM to Android. The Android side is fast making jumping between apps immediate with no lag. Everything works as it should and so far I cannot complain. My only tiny gripe is how zlink(app for Carplay and Android auto) hijacks the WiFi (but it is a great app), I got round this by installing a SIM card in the unit so it has permanent internet.
There are cheaper Chinese units available probably with identical specs but I've found Avin very reliable and fast to sort any queries I have had, also their units are exactly what is advertised and not fake. So for me it made paying the extra few pounds well worth it.
      02-10-2023, 05:01 PM   #16
SupersixM
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Can you explain how you do this?
In Android 13, there's a " MODES AND ROUTINES" in the settings menu, like 3rd from the top. Just make a routine , like when connected to (your car BT ) turn on Hotspot. When disconnected from ( your car BT) , disconnect hotspot. It's easier than tasker and works flawlessly. On your head unit, in settings put wifi always on. But you lose automatic Car play if you do that. It's one or the other.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2023, 06:47 PM   #17
kevoncox
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersixM View Post
In Android 13, there's a " MODES AND ROUTINES" in the settings menu, like 3rd from the top. Just make a routine , like when connected to (your car BT ) turn on Hotspot. When disconnected from ( your car BT) , disconnect hotspot. It's easier than tasker and works flawlessly. On your head unit, in settings put wifi always on. But you lose automatic Car play if you do that. It's one or the other.
Found the setting, set up for my car's But can't find where I select mobile hotspot. I have app options but I don't see mobile hotspot.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2023, 08:12 PM   #18
Chilled
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M

So do any of the Android HU allow you to keep the touch functionality whilst on the OEM screen. I have a 2017 and love the ability but it seems if you go Android HU you loose the touch whilst on the OEM side.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2023, 08:29 PM   #19
SupersixM
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Found the setting, set up for my car's But can't find where I select mobile hotspot. I have app options but I don't see mobile hotspot.

Bixby routines is now Modes and routines.

Watch this. https://youtu.be/Yhn3UdmRGrg
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2023, 05:14 PM   #20
AxelDoobie
Rep

Quote:
The guy said he wanted wireless android auto though. As for the android unit vs AA part, true AA would 1) not require a hotspot for internet 2) automatically pull google map directions off your phone 3) play sounds from your phone (notifications, music, maps instructions, etc,) instead of having separate audio channels. This is especially useful if you have music on your phone 4) in general, allow you to control actions through the phone instead of tapping and smudging up the head unit touchscreen.

For a solo driver it seems like AA would be better than an android head unit, although admittedly I have little experience with AA and have only seen it a few times
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2023, 01:43 AM   #21
lonestar22
Ground Clearance?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 540i & X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kangfu84 View Post

Android auto is basically for a car that doesn't have Android built in. So there's no point in using it on an already android system.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2023, 01:56 AM   #22
kangfu84
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar22 View Post
Android auto is basically for a car that doesn't have Android built in. So there's no point in using it on an already android system.
I guess it's probably better for things like Maps or Spotify but I enjoy handsfree/voice Whatsapp and Messenger so using the unit standalone without Android Auto misses that specific use case for me.
Appreciate 0