BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5 and X6 (F15/F16) Forum

02-27-2023, 12:15 PM   #1
ptr727
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 50i

Does the Platinum extended warranty replace a faulty battery?

2016 X5 50i 32K miles and platinum extended warranty.
I started getting battery drain errors on startup and fault codes read like a failing battery.
Have the car on a battery maintainer while I evaluate replacement options.

Does the platinum warranty cover an old battery, or just a "defective" battery?
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2023, 01:02 PM   #2
Florida-X3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 X3 x30i / '12 Infiniti M37

I would think anything that can "wear out" is not a warranty item unless it wears out in a ridiculously short amount of time.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2023, 11:36 PM   #3
suitedcboy
Cattlecar
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 50i MSport

I have never seen an extended warranty cover an aged out "natural causes" failed battery. They can, but even this is only some select plans, cover batteries if they are damaged by a failed alternator. I'm referring to overcharging and a battery that swells. I looked at platinum plan on a 2015 brochure and it had the coverage list. Battery was not mentioned but a note " some items will have coverage is associated with a covered item". That is the statement where an overcharging alternator or a starter that sticks on and grossly overloads battery where it bulges and will not charge can get battery covered if dealer gets authorization and it is granted.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2023, 10:44 AM   #4
ptr727
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 50i

Confirmed with dealer, no warranty for "old" battery.
Coverage only for battery failure caused by failure of a part that is covered by the warranty. When asked for an example, told it depends.
They seem to make it purposely difficult to figure out just what is and is not covered.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2023, 12:05 PM   #5
Clifton
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cars with tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptr727 View Post
They seem to make it purposely difficult to figure out just what is and is not covered.
B-I-N-G-O!!!!

I listened to a Service Manager perform verbal gymnastics to some pour soul in the waiting area who believed his navigation replacement should be covered by the most expensive ultra-platinum-plus extended warranty he paid for.

Appreciate 0
      03-04-2023, 03:50 PM   #6
Laguna Seca Blue
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: N54 E92 | N55 F15 | N55 E70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifton View Post
B-I-N-G-O!!!!

I listened to a Service Manager perform verbal gymnastics to some pour soul in the waiting area who believed his navigation replacement should be covered by the most expensive ultra-platinum-plus extended warranty he paid for.
Really? Unfortunately I feel like there’s a disconnect between the people selling the policies and the policy’s themselves. They are easy to understand and clear if the person selling them has a basic level of integrity.

There are essentially two types. Inclusionary and Exclusionary. Always try and get the later.

Inclusionary policies list out the parts covered, which may look impressive at first glance, but with something actually breaks you’ll find it’s more than likely not on the list.

Exclusionary policies only list the parts that aren’t covered (normally wear parts like batteries). More often than not, when something breaks, you’re going to be covered with this type of warranty.
PROcede Rev3 V5 | AE Quad Exhaust | BMW Performance Short Shift Kit | Gunmetal 19" M3 GTS Wheels | BF Goodrich g-Force T/A KDW 2 | AST 4100 Coilovers | Swift Springs F:280 R:560 | ER Charge Pipe | Tial Blue BOV | VRSF 3" Downpipes | VRSF 7" Intercooler

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=782212
Appreciate 1
      03-07-2023, 06:44 AM   #7
lauritzm
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X6 xDrive50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laguna Seca Blue View Post
Really? Unfortunately I feel like there’s a disconnect between the people selling the policies and the policy’s themselves. They are easy to understand and clear if the person selling them has a basic level of integrity.

There are essentially two types. Inclusionary and Exclusionary. Always try and get the later.

Inclusionary policies list out the parts covered, which may look impressive at first glance, but with something actually breaks you’ll find it’s more than likely not on the list.

Exclusionary policies only list the parts that aren’t covered (normally wear parts like batteries). More often than not, when something breaks, you’re going to be covered with this type of warranty.
This is a helpful summary, thank you!
Appreciate 1