BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-03-2023, 06:20 AM   #1
jp1988
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 4 Series

Question re 2017 BMW X5

Hi all,

I'm currently looking at buying a motor, leaning towards an X5 at the moment. Just sold a 4 Series and need something bigger due to having 2 kids and enjoying camping trips etc. So feel like the space is needed - recently did the trip in my wife's MB A Class and I vowed never to do it again and that I would buy something bigger for us.

So, I'm looking at probably a 2017/18 X5 in my budget, circa 40k miles and full service history. In terms of reliability, what can I expect? Anything to ask/look out for when viewing the cars? It would need to last me a good 4 or 5 years.

I've been on Reddit forums taking a look and there are people claiming they're a money pit and to allow £1k per year for maintenance. Is this the case? If you're familiar with reddit then you'll know that you often get groups like this in particular subreddits that trash anything 'expensive' and suggest everybody drive a cheap brand instead (not that there is anything wrong, but it's hard to trust their opinions).

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2023, 09:59 AM   #2
Smonkbmw
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2013 x5 m57

Garage List
2013 BMW x5 35d  [0.00]
Diesel or petrol?
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2023, 12:28 PM   #3
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp1988 View Post
Hi all,

I'm currently looking at buying a motor, leaning towards an X5 at the moment. Just sold a 4 Series and need something bigger due to having 2 kids and enjoying camping trips etc. So feel like the space is needed - recently did the trip in my wife's MB A Class and I vowed never to do it again and that I would buy something bigger for us.

So, I'm looking at probably a 2017/18 X5 in my budget, circa 40k miles and full service history. In terms of reliability, what can I expect? Anything to ask/look out for when viewing the cars? It would need to last me a good 4 or 5 years.

I've been on Reddit forums taking a look and there are people claiming they're a money pit and to allow £1k per year for maintenance. Is this the case? If you're familiar with reddit then you'll know that you often get groups like this in particular subreddits that trash anything 'expensive' and suggest everybody drive a cheap brand instead (not that there is anything wrong, but it's hard to trust their opinions).

Thanks in advance!
I have a 2018 X5 50i. Bought it in 2020 with 20K miles. It now has 43K miles and only maintenance has been oil change. I bought it as a CPO and the dealer installed new tires, battery, brake pads from what I recall from the CPO check list…

So far I’d say it’s been very reliable over 2/12 years…
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2023, 02:10 PM   #4
BDO
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 X6 40d M-sport

Assuming you’re in the UK, go straight to M50d, unless there’s a diesel sin tax there now.

Drive one and you’ll understand.

ETA: you can safely ignore Reddit for anything car related.
Appreciate 0