BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-22-2020, 10:46 AM   #1
hurleyskis
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 35D F15

Help! EGR CEL 2015 X5 35D

I've read a bunch on here and didn't come across anything similar to my issue. I was hoping some of you experts could shed some light on my CEL that has now come on two times.

This has happened while running stock and also while running the Racechip in it's lowest setting. I have since left the Racechip disabled to see if that may have caused the issue somehow (could it have?)

My suspicion is EGR valve problem. If this is the case is this part of the BMW emissions warranty that covers out to 70,000 miles here in the USA?

I've also heard rumors that a faulty gas cap could cause this issue....not sure if this is internet legend material or if that could be the case.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 05:16 PM   #2
RED_Y_
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 3.5d

Did you try to clear CEL after removing RaceChip?
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 11:17 AM   #3
hurleyskis
Rep

I did clear the CEL and ran for a week w/out any issues. Last night for the heck of it I ran the RaceChip again and got the CEL pretty quick.

I guess i'll keep it off for a month or so and see if it comes back on. If not....I wasted a lot of money on the RaceChip….
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 12:16 PM   #4
RED_Y_
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 3.5d

Try to contact RaceChip support?
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 03:17 PM   #5
hurleyskis
Rep

I did and they backed off the RACE setting to 5 instead of 6....but that really doesn't matter since the CEL was also thrown when in the economy setting of 2....

I am suspecting that maybe there is a problem with the EGR or some air sensor that is worsened with the chip running.

For now it's back to stock and a waiting game....while I continue to drive it like I stole it
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 04:17 PM   #6
happydude
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 / F15 X5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurleyskis View Post
I've read a bunch on here and didn't come across anything similar to my issue. I was hoping some of you experts could shed some light on my CEL that has now come on two times.

This has happened while running stock and also while running the Racechip in it's lowest setting. I have since left the Racechip disabled to see if that may have caused the issue somehow (could it have?)

My suspicion is EGR valve problem. If this is the case is this part of the BMW emissions warranty that covers out to 70,000 miles here in the USA?

I've also heard rumors that a faulty gas cap could cause this issue....not sure if this is internet legend material or if that could be the case.

Thanks in advance for any help.
I had a code similar to the first one that was persistent. Cleared and kept coming back. Did not throw a CEL though. Dealer replaced egr cooler, air intake manifold, and MAP sensor as part of the EGR cooler recall. Has not come back since and it’s been about 7 months since I performed the recall.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2020, 10:41 AM   #7
hurleyskis
Rep

Just wanted to follow up on this as it's been a while and I've done a bunch of testing....

Long story short....RaceChip is unbelievable when it comes to customer service!

They worked with me and tried several different software loads for my vehicle. They apparently have a few versions of software for vehicles in some sort of database so it was a quick process to call them and have them push a new update.

Unfortunately the one update that finally prevented the CEL didn't do much in the way of performance increase. RaceChip told me the CEL was likely being caused by too much boost and that this download minimized the change to boost levels.

I called them back and shared my thoughts on this and they told me they would develop a new program to increase performance w/out adding more boost.

After 2-3 days I got an email informing me my new software was ready. I updated and WOW! What a difference and no CEL!

So no issues with EGR etc. Just RaceChip related CEL and they went above and beyond to help me out.

I cannot recommend this company enough.
Appreciate 1
      07-08-2021, 07:20 PM   #8
Wardman
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F15 X5d

What scanner are you using? i have an Actron and it's pulling a P0401 with RC RS installed on stock settings. I had RC Ultimate and it worked for about 4 years with no issue, then my x5d starting having stall issues while driving. BMW pointed to RC, so i removed, no codes, then installed the new one and codes showed up.

Love the power, and may jsut keep riding it hard, but a bit concerned. Who did you work with at RC if you could PM me?
Appreciate 0