04-17-2019, 07:48 PM   #1
geraldfs1989
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw X5 35i

Issue with key fobs not working and TPM failure

Hey there,

New to the forum and im having problems with a 2014 X5 35i xdrive

Had an issue this morning with the wifes car and was wondering if the two issues were related.
Key Fob wouldnt unlock the truck this morning so i tried mine resulting in the same issue. Swapped out both batteries and still the same result.
As she was driving to work the truck gave a TPM failure and later when she got home I tried to reset it and it wouldn't progress % wise.
Scanned with carly and it showed codes for all of the tpms sensors and ICM signal error.
Did some research and found something saying that the remote reciever unit is the same for the TPMS sensors and the central locking system.

Just trying to confirm this and if possibly anyone else has had this problem.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2019, 03:45 AM   #2
CatalinP
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15 2014 3.0xd

Check your trunk for water ingress.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2019, 04:24 AM   #3
geraldfs1989
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatalinP View Post
Check your trunk for water ingress.
No water ingress. Everything is spotless
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2019, 04:53 AM   #4
geraldfs1989
Registered
Rep

When I was wandering around the web I came across a remote control reciever that's located in the back right portion of the trunk just seeing if it's the same reciever for the tpms sensors also.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2019, 07:52 PM   #5
andrewmr
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4

Garage List
Is there a valet switch in the glove box?
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2019, 09:53 AM   #6
geraldfs89
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewmr View Post
Is there a valet switch in the glove box?
Come to find out hitting the speed bumps coming in to the development may have made a poor connection with the fuse. Ripped the whole interior apart and tested continuity through all the fuses. Then unplugged the remote radio receiver and plugged it back in and everything worked again. The stealership told me the module doesnt receive signal from the remotes and the tpms sensors but that was a lie. Thanks for the ideas and help
Appreciate 1
alphaod1149.50
      05-11-2020, 11:54 AM   #7
Alex Morgan
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15 (2014)

Hello,

I have the same problem - whereby the key fob will lock/unlock the car and when I do drive the car the tyre pressure sensors are showing as a failure

I had hoped this was a common problem but your post is the only one that links the two issues

Could you help me and let me know where is the receiver is that you un plugged and plugged it back in and solved the problem

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2024, 12:44 PM   #8
tmitch
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X5

Just chiming in here a little late to add my own experience with this issue on my 2018 X5 (F15). Yesterday my key fob remote wasn't being detected unless I held it directly against the steering column. As soon as I started driving, the system warned that TPM wasn't working, and at the same time, I noticed that my phone would no longer connect via the car's Bluetooth. Tried the other key fob, same result. Replacing the batteries in both fobs didn't help.

Based on the advice I found in this thread, I removed and reseated the fuse for the remote control receiver, and it immediately fixed the problem for me. The fuse I pulled was in the fuse box in the passenger side foot well, shown as #19 on the diagram here: https://fuse-box.info/bmw/bmw-x5-f15...uses-and-relay (note that it's the top one shown as #19 - not sure why this diagram has two fuses with the same number).

Hopefully this will help someone else avoid a costly trip to the dealership. Cheers!
Appreciate 0