07-01-2021, 11:05 AM   #1
The Libertine
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Porsche Macan

Dog Ramp?

Hey guys - I need your help!

Our “Pandemic Puppy” (English Cream Golden Retriever), while only 8 months old, now weighs ~60 pounds and am considering a ramp to make it easy for him to enter/exit the X5.

There are plenty of dog ramps on the market, but each with a negative review for every positive one I read; very frustrating, and difficult to select one for our dog. Also, the rear door opening on the X5 is fairly narrow which adds a bit of complexity to the choice.

So, I figured I would ask my X5 brethren: do any of you have a dog ramp you recommended? If so, which one?

Appreciate your thoughts!
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2021, 08:46 PM   #2
scotty339
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 x35i M-Sport

WeatherTech makes a decent one.
https://www.weathertech.ca/en/petramp/

PetSafe Happy Ride also worth a look also it a telescoping build instead of a split fold.
https://store.petsafe.net/happy-ride...299.1625190369
Appreciate 1
      07-02-2021, 05:23 AM   #3
The Libertine
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty339 View Post
WeatherTech makes a decent one.
https://www.weathertech.ca/en/petramp/

PetSafe Happy Ride also worth a look also it a telescoping build instead of a split fold.
https://store.petsafe.net/happy-ride...299.1625190369
Thank you very much!
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2021, 06:28 AM   #4
Bagpype
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 Porsche 944s2

We bought some folding stairs for our 13 year old big dog. They are hefty and expensive but work really well since he doesn’t do ramps.
Appreciate 1
      07-04-2021, 04:26 AM   #5
chumbedi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5e40 (F15)

Look at AMAZON (you'll find plenty) and read reviews, most important it should be sturdy (max. 1 fold, rough surface, side walls, not too steep incline) and your dog has to be trained/ get used to using the ramp.
You can only try them out and see which one is best and accepted by the dog.
I personally would try out the weather tech model, had similar one, unfortunatelly my dog did not want to use it.

Last edited by chumbedi; 07-04-2021 at 04:36 AM..
Appreciate 1
      07-04-2021, 04:47 AM   #6
The Libertine
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagpype View Post
We bought some folding stairs for our 13 year old big dog. They are hefty and expensive but work really well since he doesn’t do ramps.
Stairs are also a good idea too - will try if the ramp does not work.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2021, 04:51 AM   #7
The Libertine
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumbedi View Post
I personally would try out the weather tech model, had similar one, unfortunatelly my dog did not want to use it.
You’re right - dogs can be stubborn about trying new things! I think we’ll need to do a bit of coaxing with our dog, but am hopeful he will eventually use the ramp. We’re actually using a trainer now, who I expect will be able to help.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2021, 08:31 AM   #8
scotty339
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 x35i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Libertine View Post
You’re right - dogs can be stubborn about trying new things! I think we’ll need to do a bit of coaxing with our dog, but am hopeful he will eventually use the ramp. We’re actually using a trainer now, who I expect will be able to help.

I've always found that for teaching a dog to go up/down stairs or a ramp that luring always works best.

Favourite treats or other high value like foods (small piece of uncooked hot dog are a favourite for my three) should your dog be food motivated. A preferred toy will also do the job.

If crating in the vehicle as well, let them practice getting in and out with the most space possible so they know whats up and then slowly introduce them going into the desired final position.

Also, unbox / open the ramp / stairs int the house and leave em around for a few days. Reward your dog when they sniff or show interest or walk on it. Have them walk on it in the house, feel the grip different material ect. That way when you do the vehicle training, its old news.

Do not open the ramp in front of your dog by the vehicle and then try and shove him in the car 5 seconds later. I promise it probably wont go as well.
Appreciate 1